A word for the wise

grafxxpluzgrafxxpluz Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 6, 2005 in People
Hello to all,

I just joined this community and hope to not only gain knowledge, but share as well. I have post some pic that I would like any suggestions on. Thanks
http://grafxxpluz.smugmug.com/gallery/1018247

Comments

• OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    They look really uncomfortable, judging by the expressions, and they're both a bit dark and OOF. The poses are awkward and the clothes aren't very attractive for such a sitting. The blue background is a bit too blue. I prefer the second shot to the first. The skin is quite yellow, as well. Make sure you set your white balance before you start shooting. Bring your subject further away from the background (6 feet or so) to gain some seperation and use an aperture that will provide some background blur. The light also seems a bit central. Try moving it to the side and a bit higher to prevent shadows and add some modeling.

Practice makes perfect! Work on the posing, and grouping as well!
  • grafxxpluzgrafxxpluz Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    They look really uncomfortable, judging by the expressions, and they're both a bit dark and OOF. The poses are awkward and the clothes aren't very attractive for such a sitting. The blue background is a bit too blue. I prefer the second shot to the first. The skin is quite yellow, as well. Make sure you set your white balance before you start shooting. Bring your subject further away from the background (6 feet or so) to gain some seperation and use an aperture that will provide some background blur. The light also seems a bit central. Try moving it to the side and a bit higher to prevent shadows and add some modeling.

I can agree with you on the distance from the backdrop. My question is why in a studio like Sears they place you about 2 to 3 feet for backdrop? I generally use a gray card to set my white balance, but that is not always correct I usually have to adjust by what I see in the historgram.
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    You also need to watch for glare (like on the top of his head).
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    grafxxpluz wrote:
    Hello to all,

I just joined this community and hope to not only gain knowledge, but share as well. I have post some pic that I would like any suggestions on. Thanks
    http://grafxxpluz.smugmug.com/gallery/1018247
    Hi Grafxxpluz wave.gif .. welcome to dgrin!!
  • BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Owen wrote:

I agree here. I also noticed the shadow on the left of the man...not a good thing. Are you shooting with a longer focal length? This will throw your background out of focus. Clothing is huge issue. Your subjects should be wearing solid colors and stay away from patterns.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com