Options

Idea for Challenge 53

thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
edited December 10, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is blurry I know. I'm going crazy, I'm in the middle of exams. This 'reflects' my up and downs. I will have to reshoot.
Challenge worthy idea?
Ashley
Green is the way to be!
ashleyharding.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    this is definitely my favorite of what I have seen so far from the reflections challenge... not sure if I even mind the blurriness

the shot leaves me wanting more, which I think is positive... but then, I think you might also be able to improve on the concept

I wish I could offer some ideas. I will say that I am super interested in seeing some more attempts (don't take it bad... I'm just greedy for more great shots).

So, I guess this is less critique and more just plain encouragement. I too am in exam season right now (law - you?); glad to see someone using the pain in a positive/creative way.

don't let 'em get ya
    wrapped in tests,
    bah to that and ahh...
    swat the pests,
    'cause they don't know
    how to let the passion show,

-Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    I think it's pretty spiffy =). Made me do a double take in a good way.

Here are my suggestions for improvement:

01. Make the blue in the top-left corner match the rest of the color scheme.
    02. Yeah, maybe reshoot. I don't mind the slight blurriness, but you're not wasting anything seeing if it looks better sharp =).
    03. Perhaps change the perspective slightly or something to make it clearer that it's a mirror? At first it looks just like another person with their head up against your forehead. Know what I mean? Though you do have the left edge of the mirror in there, that helps.
    04. Take photos take photos take photos! Don't let those tests get to you. =)
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    I love the concept! I'm really not sure how to make it better, but I'd be tempted to try the following options...
    - Try going to extremes of emotion .. Very Happy, very sad... think the Comedy/Tradgey masks
    - Since this Challenge allows PS, I'd say try a little manipulation.... Maybe desature the reflection.
    - As LeDude says, the bluriness can work to your advantage. Maybe you could try a range of emotions each a bit more blurry than the previous one. Layer these in PS, and go from happy to an end state of very sad. And that would be in sharp focus.
    - Maybe you hav a picture at a similar angle form when you were very young. You could take a photo today and do a little PS magic to have your younger self reflected in the mirror. Yeah.. not exactly what you started with, but I was kind of on a roll ;-)

Like LeDude, I'd like to see you play around with the concept. I've been out of school for so long I forgot what a final was. ;-) Seriously, I understand. BUT if you run out of time, I'd say enter that one!

I hope those ideas help!
  • Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    I tried reshooting with a different mirror and all that but it just wouldn't come out right. So I went back to what I had and I found somewhat clearer ones but it's a closer cut so it really just looks like I'm a twin. Might try tomorrow. I can't believe its Saturday. I only have one more exam to go. Yeppie.
    Happy Holidays everyone!
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com