Options

Sandbox my @ss! Preview ruined my Legacy Smugmug Site

2»

Comments

• Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Same thing happened to me. 1st response from sm was to blame me. The 2nd response was much better. They seem to be acknowledging the problem now. And a BIG problem it is!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My affected galleries:

http://www.liflanderphotography.com/Weddings

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    this whole process was rushed and we are simply the unwitting guinea pigs beta testing for you.

qft.
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    What?? So it even happened to people who did NOT even "migrate" at all? eek7.gif

The funny thing was, after I'd made my last post here, I was starting to wonder if this had only happened to people who had the multi-hour-long migrations (versus those were were more successful in only a few minutes).

Well gee, I guess after reading these other posts today, you didn't even have to do anything at all!

My migration took 6 hours. I wonder whose migration time was the longest so far among all the customers who tried it. I think I read on that SmugMug news Blog that someone was still waiting after.... 12 hours! eek7.gif

Overall, Wow, just... wow. ne_nau.gif
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 2, 2013
    pmbpro wrote: »
    What?? So it even happened to people who did NOT even "migrate" at all?

As far as I know, this isn't true. I haven't migrated yet and my site is unchanged. What appears to be true is that some unexpected things happened to people who migrated without unveiling, to use the SM jargon.
  • Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    As far as I know, this isn't true. I haven't migrated yet and my site is unchanged. What appears to be true is that some unexpected things happened to people who migrated without unveiling, to use the SM jargon.
    Richard, I'm not so sure about that. From a couple of other threads there were at least 2 users who never even migrated and still had this issue affect them.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    liflander wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me. 1st response from sm was to blame me. The 2nd response was much better. They seem to be acknowledging the problem now. And a BIG problem it is!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

My affected galleries:

http://www.liflanderphotography.com/Weddings

Sorry you got the initial "blame" response. Glad you didn't the second time. It shows how well it works for more people to say something. Not all these people would have deliberately mucked up their sites --- and exactly the same way.

Yep, yours got nailed for sure. :-/

My Animals and People galleries got hit:

http://www.pmbimages.com/Animals

http://www.pmbimages.com/People

Yet my Nature and Still-Life galleries were fine. ne_nau.gif

@HamsterHuey:
    I just noticed your signature. Too right. :-(
    pmb images
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    Richard, it is true. I did NOT migrate and my sub-categories and breadcrumb were messed up and people couldn't see the public galleries in them.:cry

I just check now and looks like the problem's been corrected.clap.gif

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Cuong wrote: »
    Richard, it is true. I did NOT migrate and my sub-categories and breadcrumb were messed up and people couldn't see the public galleries in them.:cry

Cuong

I can confirm. Thanks for the quick fix guys. Much appreciated.
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013

Cuong

Yes, I noticed that now too! Thank goodness. I even logged in, viewed the legacy site in there, logged back out, and still fine now logged out!

I'd be afraid to even peek at or experiment with the new design now though, so I ain't touchin' that, Laughing.gif! Once bitten, twice shy, I guess...
    pmb images
  • Options
    GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I can't even find my entire website now!! No access whatsoever. Not happy.:nono

I migrated to preview the new features but have decided that I prefer legacy smugmug. I have never gone live with the new Smugmug and made no edits to gallery/folder structure in the Sandbox.

Yet, much to my surprise, I found that one of my Subcategory names has automatically changed.

It seems that the entire navigation structure has been changed even though the Sandbox was supposed to leave my legacy site untouched. I am deeply disappointed by this.

For example: http://smandal.smugmug.com/Other/2012-1

Firstly, it is really annoying that my "Family" Category no longer shows in the URL when it used to in the past. Instead the URL has now changed to "Other". What apparently has happened is my "Events" category has also been remapped to "other" and since it had a "2012" subcategory, they have been renamed to avoid a clash.

This is just absolutely unacceptable. It defeats the entire purpose of a "Sandbox" when previewing the new Smugmug and has completely destroyed the layout of all my galleries and categories/sub categories. Not to mention that the breadcrumbs for navigation is also completely useless. People click on "Family", yet when they enter into the Family Subcategory, the breadcrumb for the parent is "Other" instead of "Family". WTF Smugmug? How did this pass QA and how can you claim that this is a Sandbox mode when simply previewing the new Smugmug completely ruins my existing Legacy Smugmug site?

Not to mention that I am also getting "No Gallery Found" errors when logged out and viewing my legacy smugmug site.

I am about ready to throw in the towel and cancel my account. I am incredibly frustrated that what was promised to be a sandbox mode is really not one and it has ruined my perfectly functional smugmug site. Is there any way to revert my site URLs and organization back to the way it was?
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited August 3, 2013

Cuong
    I stand corrected, Cuong. Glad to hear that the problem has been fixed. thumb.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Hi All,

I sincerely apologize for this issue. Tonight, we pushed a fix. Please check your subcategories to make sure all is well and let me know as soon as possible if something isn't right.

Thank you, and I sincerely appreciate your patience.

Michael
  • Options
    JSmockJSmock Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Michael, all of my subcategory names are back to normal and the galleries in my 'family' category are now visible to the public like they were before. One problem still exists, the 'Family' category no longer shows up on the home page of my legacy site when not logged in. It can be reached as a direct link when not logged in but does not show up on the home page with the rest of my public categories.

www.jpsmock.com

Edit: No problems now, I cleared my cache and the 'Family' category is now visible.
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Looks like my legacy site is back to normal.

Hope it stays that way.

This situation makes me wonder how thoroughly sm tested the new system. How did this issue not show up in testing?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  • Options
    pattydpattyd Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi All,

I sincerely apologize for this issue. Tonight, we pushed a fix. Please check your subcategories to make sure all is well and let me know as soon as possible if something isn't right.

Thank you, and I sincerely appreciate your patience.

Michael

Hello,
    Most of my sub categories are back. (all but 2)
    In events....I have approximately 10 sub category so 8 are ok.

For the 2 not working I tried to create the sub category again but it still will not link up.
    I sent in a ticket to the help desk to ask them to please advise.

I did not go into preview at all. Just did not have the time to experiment just yet.
    Waiting to hear if there is anything further for me to try.

Thank You
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    GoofBckt wrote: »

Looks to be a custom domain issue, not a SM issue. What's your SM nickname?

http://ghostdancephotography.com/?hg=0&nr=0
  • Options
    CanvasOfLightCanvasOfLight Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    GoofBckt wrote: »

A Hero already replied to you in another thread about it. As well as other users.

Your issue has nothing to do with Smugmug. You just didn't renew your hosting/domain name with GoDaddy.

Now it's up for sale so you better act fast.
    Travel & Culture Photographer / Photography instructor
    http://www.canvas-of-light.com
    http://canvas-of-light.smugmug.com/