Options

Replacing default home page image

W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
edited December 22, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I'm playing with the Turbo theme. How do I get rid of the dirt bike home page image and replace it with one of mine? :dunno

Comments

• Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    Excellent! Thanks, Dave! :D
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    This worked fine when I set up my background photo originally, and applied it to my home page only. However I'm now trying to invoke the "photo applied to entire site" option, but this selection does not "stick".

As far as I can see I'm saving and publishing my settings correctly. Is there a magic trick with this I don't understand? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    What section of the site are you working on? If you want to apply a theme to your entire site, you would need to make sure that you're in the "entire site" section from the customize drawer on the side. Right now, you seem to have a different theme applied to your entire site than you have to your homepage.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2013
    And are you doing this:
    - Apply the theme you want, when you are inside the section of the site you want to apply it to.
    - Click Done (top right corner).
    - Click Publish (not Preview).
    - Don't use the Preview option at all.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    Thanks. That's what I'm doing! ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    Taking a wild guess here, are you saying you no longer want the homepage to be separated from the "entire site" customization?
    I guess I'm not understanding the problem yet.
    If so, on the Homepage, click the Revert arrow (yellow in image).
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    What I'm doing is, from my Homepage, -> Customise Site -> Theme -> Active Theme -> (Wrench Tool) -> Background -> (Photo) Applied to -> Entire Site (i.e. not Homepage Only)

This doesn't cause my Homepage photo to appear on all pages as I would expect it to do - otherwise, what does "Entire Site" (not "Homepage Only") mean? What other purpose could this selection have? Is this a bug?
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    Do you have the same theme applied to each section of your site?
    Do you have a CSS block added to All galleries, that might contain code that is trumping the home page image?

I have the Turbo theme with my own photo added to entire site, and it works fine.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    Do you have the same theme applied to each section of your site?
    Do you have a CSS block added to All galleries, that might contain code that is trumping the home page image?
    Yes, no!
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I have the Turbo theme with my own photo added to entire site, and it works fine.
    After selecting "entire site" and applying my background photo there (successfully) and decided I don't want this on every page, I've since reapplied the background photo to my Homepage and to another couple of my pages explicitly.

Thanks for your interest in this. I'm all set now but I still just don't understand why the "(Photo) Applied to -> Entire Site" function doesn't seem to work. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2013
    I have reached the end of my guesses. One of the real gurus on this forum might have better ideas, or, email the smug help address directly. But one more comment: SM JUST released a new feature, full screen background on any section or gallery, new tab. Maybe, just maybe, their code-tweaking had a temporary effect on what you were trying to do? Or, just coincidence.

For info:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=243822
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1931591
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=243817
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1367940-customization-background-tab?utm_campaign=HomepageSlideshow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=DGrin&utm_content=ProductPromotion
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2013
    What I'm doing is, from my Homepage, -> Customise Site -> Theme -> Active Theme -> (Wrench Tool) -> Background -> (Photo) Applied to -> Entire Site (i.e. not Homepage Only)

This doesn't cause my Homepage photo to appear on all pages as I would expect it to do - otherwise, what does "Entire Site" (not "Homepage Only") mean? What other purpose could this selection have? Is this a bug?
    The problem is that you do not select the "entire site" section from the customize drawer on the side. On your "entire site" section you still use the "Turbo w/more sidebar transparency" theme. For the "My working theme for Turbo" theme to apply to the entire site, you have to select the "entire site" section and apply it there. The setting within the theme cannot take any effect unless you apply that theme to your entire site.
    If you apply the theme only to your homepage, the theme settings will only apply to the homepage regardless of what you set up within the theme.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2013
    Thanks Sebastian, I understand that. I just don't understand why I am offered a setting option that cannot (it would seem) have affect in the way it is described, i.e. it is not context-sensitive. Now that's confusing!