Options

Help with Video Files

jrose1jrose1 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 9, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Can someone help me? I'm trying to post a video file...I've converted it to .mpeg already, but the file size is still too big to post on my smugmug site. Can someone help me decrease the quality (since it'll play as a small file on the screen) so I can post it?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    wave.gif Hi Jrose

http://www.smugmug.com/help/video-clips-online

check out this help page.

All the best,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    OK I have some more time now..

Yeah videos are hard to edit - one tool I had success with is the TMPGenc that we reference in our help files (link above). It's a tiny bit tricky to master - ok it's a fairly tricky but if you plow through, it gets the job done.

There may be other tools that other members use, hopefully some other folks will chime in.

All the best,
  • Options
    peestandinguppeestandingup Registered Users Posts: 489 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Dont know about the Windows side, but for Mac I always used an app called iVCD & it worked flawless. Also, ffmpegX for Mac is good too, but a little more tricky.

Although, I sometimes found that once I finally got my videos down to the required size, the quality was degraded soo much that I would usually end up not posting them at all, just because of mpeg1 is pretty bad at compression.
  • Options
    jrose1jrose1 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2005
    Video- Thank you
    Hey Andy-

Thanks for your quick reply- I've been swamped at work, I havent' had time to reply myself! I looked at the smugmug site that supposedly helps with video files, but it didn't help me....I also used FX Mpeg writer to convert my file to mpg...but it's still too large to post. I want to keep the whole file, just make it smaller (since it will be playing in a small window on smugmug). I'll check out the TMPGenc, but I'm afraid I will probably need some help!

Anyone else have advice?

Thanks

Andy wrote:
    OK I have some more time now..

Yeah videos are hard to edit - one tool I had success with is the TMPGenc that we reference in our help files (link above). It's a tiny bit tricky to master - ok it's a fairly tricky but if you plow through, it gets the job done.

There may be other tools that other members use, hopefully some other folks will chime in.

All the best,
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Wow, sorry man I would've responded to this when it was first posted, but I was at work and was almost SURE someone would tell you to lower the bitrate!

Using FX Mpeg writer unclick the "use MPEG Presets" button, and click on the Advanced (or whatever its called) tab.

For video under a minute long you can use 2000k bitrate at 640x480 resolution.

between a minute and 2.5 minutes long I use 1000k bitrate at 320x240 resolution.

and for 2.5-4 minutes I use 500k at 320x240 resolution.

MPEG1 really sucks at lower bitrates, so if its more than 4 minutes you'll have to lower the bitrate so much that the quality will dramatically decline. :cry
    jrose1 wrote:
    Hey Andy-

Thanks for your quick reply- I've been swamped at work, I havent' had time to reply myself! I looked at the smugmug site that supposedly helps with video files, but it didn't help me....I also used FX Mpeg writer to convert my file to mpg...but it's still too large to post. I want to keep the whole file, just make it smaller (since it will be playing in a small window on smugmug). I'll check out the TMPGenc, but I'm afraid I will probably need some help!

Anyone else have advice?

Thanks