Welcome to Mini-Challenge #170 ... Self portrait with included fauna

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited August 14, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Mini-Challenge #170

As the last couple have had a wildlife element, this is trying for 3 in a row...

So a self portrait that includes some sort of critter also in frame - can be wild or domestic, mammal, bird fish, insect etc

Fauna not to be added as an afterthought in PS (so rule 4 invalid this time, with respect to this option)
Multiple / several examples of fauna allowed in frame ... but no other people than yourself.

Am taking a nod from the Doc forum also ... so NO TITLES ... let the images speak for themselves and let viewers make up their own minds about what they're looking at ... so guideline 4 also invalid for this'un.

Reflections / shadows ok, of course.

This challenge starts now and will close at 12:00 GMT on Wednesday , August 14th, 2013.

All the usual bs as below.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Comments

• puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Example

eye3_800.jpg
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Hi
    Very interesting theme and I love your example.
    However I am wondering if the subject is a bit too prescriptive

The fun of the mini challenges, to my opinion, is to go through all your photos and see them with a new eye. And I am really wondering how many people do self portraits frequently...
    I might have pictures with me and fauna but I did not take the picture. It was at the zoo or during a holiday and someone took a shot of me. So this is not my photo
    My suggestion would be to open it to ‘portraits with fauna’ where we would be the ones taking the shots…

However this is your challenge and your decision
    If you want to see our faces, I understand rolleyes1.gif
    Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
    edited August 2, 2013
    Fair point ... and I for one certainly don't go around taking pics of myself on a regular basis (lens repairs'd be crippling) ... but on one occasion I took one specifically for the (unique pov) challenge ... because I happened to be playing around with kit - a small waterproof PnS cam - that made the shot I took possible.

Whilst I don't expect people to go to any great lengths on this, I doubt that it'd take much effort for a sufficiently motivated 'grinner to take a pic of themselves with mog / nag / canine etc in frame, via mirror / water surface / shiney doorknob etc would it?

So, sorry - but stays as set ...

Anyway, no entries makes my job easy... :):)

As regards seeing faces ... well, to some extent, I suppose ...but you can't really tell the exact degree of ugliness involved with my example ... can you?
    Just some bit of head in frame ... in order to discount the ant / butterfly etc settled on finger / hand shot.

pp
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    OK I understand.

I will try to find something this weekend. However I do not have any pet and am allergic to dogs and cats so might get challenging finding an animal...:D

although we are having a lot of annoying flies at the moment...
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
    edited August 2, 2013
    A fly perched atop the cam whilst it's used to take the SP in a mirror would be fine :)

Sugar solution / honey helps to attract / keep busy various critters - can also recommend old banana skins for fruit flies...

pp
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'll try - does this work?
    IMG_2298-L.jpg
    Well, that one may not meet the specifics, but it is my favorite. Here's one I found that meets the criteria (I'm not the cute blond!)

IMG_9740-M.jpg
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • pixelpeeperpixelpeeper Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    One from me - hope it counts.

P7080019.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    How about this one

100_3171.JPG

I did find this photo of the cat scratching his head on my toe - I was trying to get some blurred motion in the photo for another challenge.

IMG_8416.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited August 3, 2013
    B'limey ... you lot don't half 'try it on' :)

<< I'll try - does this work? >>

... if you consider this bit of the preamble ... whatcha reckon my answer will be ? :)

<< Just some bit of head in frame ... in order to discount the ant / butterfly etc settled on finger / hand shot. >>

pp & gR
    both flying as close to the edges of the envelope as possible, I reckon ... but, reluctantly ... ok

Since it's my mistake to not stipulate 'proper' fauna ... as opposed to plastic / wood / metal / paper etc etc ... let gR's be the last of these, please :)

pp
  • pixelpeeperpixelpeeper Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    I was going by your preamble comment..

:confused
    edited August 3, 2013
    I was going by your preamble comment..

:confused

Yes, the shadow aspect is fine (so no confusion there) ... I suppose I'd got a somewhat bigger /larger area of image related to tog's head in mind ... :)

pp
    edited August 3, 2013
    So living fauna, but not humans? Not even a selfie when pregnant?

1289-00070002%25203140x2048.JPG
    edited August 3, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    So living fauna, but not humans? Not even a selfie when pregnant?

Nope ... unless you've got some sort of proof that you produced a non-human ... one of the Omen films comes to mind iirc?

No fur coats / hats / elephant foot waste bins / trophy heads on wall plaques or similar items either, btw :)

pp
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013

.....However I am wondering if the subject is a bit too prescriptive

Claire
    Considering the post(s) above, this comment would seem to have been eerily prescient, and imo, correct.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited August 3, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Considering the post(s) above, this comment would seem to have been eerily prescient, and imo, correct.

Well, you're obviously entitled to your opinion ... and may well be correct :)

However, the only 2 'rules' I've modified are that no PPing is allowed - with respect to adding a critter (only) and re giving titles.

Much discussion re titles goes on in the documentary forum and I thought it might be worth a punt here.

Re me having to keep posting about stuff - that's a function of 2 things imo - people wondering about ways of doing things ... and not staying within the spirit of the challenge ... which, imo is fairly straightforward ... a pic of yourself with something else from the 'animal' kingdom in frame* ... and trying to avoid being labelled ignorant for not answering queries.

* I've certainly seen SPs of pics with pet / animal in frame here, so it's not 'that' unusual ... and judging by the general displays of affection shown by people towards their pets ... both here and in general ... I considered that someone that didn't already have a suitable pic may well be sufficiently motivated to take one, to not only have for this, but also as something they might cherish anyway?

pp
    edited August 3, 2013
    30 years ago this would have been no problem. But all I've got in the way of a pet now is a feral cat, and while he will let me pet him and I can take his photo, he definitely won't let me hold him or hold onto him. I will probably need to get my husband in the photo too. Maybe like the Grant Woods painting with a cat instead of a pitchfork.
    edited August 3, 2013
    30 years ago this would have been no problem. But all I've got in the way of a pet now is a feral cat, and while he will let me pet him and I can take his photo, he definitely won't let me hold him or hold onto him. I will probably need to get my husband in the photo too. Maybe like the Grant Woods painting with a cat instead of a pitchfork.

Ahhhh ... 30 yrs ago ... yes, all manner of things would've been no problem for me, either :)

Whilst I can't stop you having another go, there's no need, since you already have the artificial croc pic 'in the bag' ... and the last thing I'd want is for you to get cut to ribbons by some un-cooperative feral feline, just to arrange a few pixels in a frame...

Me ... I'd probably just put some of its favourite food down in front of a mirror ... and whilst it's preoccupied with its scoffing, take a few pics.

pp
    edited August 3, 2013
    He's a nice cat and doesn't use his claws (not de-clawed either). He just is very muscular and determined. And spooky. My husband can hold him if he gets him by his hind feet. I might try that with the food.
    edited August 3, 2013
    Nope ... unless you've got some sort of proof that you produced a non-human ... one of the Omen films comes to mind iirc?

No fur coats / hats / elephant foot waste bins / trophy heads on wall plaques or similar items either, btw :)

pp

Hmm hadn't thought of a fur. That particular child might be more super human than non-human.

OK I got my husband to hold the cat. He didn't want to be in the photo, but he is in this one anyway

IMG_0080.JPG

And I realized that I hadn't brushed my hair, but in this case it didn't really matter, did it?

IMG_0084.JPG

These are the only two halfway reasonable ones, and I'm not looking at the camera.
  • hammy8241hammy8241 Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    One for now but your own is fab.

DSC_6729-XL.jpg
    edited August 5, 2013
    Nope ... unless you've got some sort of proof that you produced a non-human ..

pp

You don't believe that Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny?
    edited August 5, 2013
    You don't believe that Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny?

Monkees song (or not) is irrelevant ... no pic / no proof ... :)

Good to see another Brit around, btw, hammy ... does it use paws or some sort of stylus?

pp
    edited August 5, 2013
    Paws, but he's not that good really - has trouble reaching the pedals ! :)
    edited August 5, 2013
    Monkees song (or not) is irrelevant ... no pic / no proof ... :)

Good to see another Brit around, btw, hammy ... does it use paws or some sort of stylus?

pp

What Monkee's song? In any case in those days we didn't have ultrasound.
    edited August 5, 2013
    hammy8241 wrote: »
    ...has trouble reaching the pedals ! :)

Wooden blocks as per for short legged types with car pedals ? ...
    What Monkee's song? In any case in those days we didn't have ultrasound.

'I'm a believer'

Suspected as much re ultrasound ... but trying to be diplomatic re ages of young ladies :)

pp
    edited August 5, 2013
    That song doesn't really have anything to do with ontogeny. Ontogeny recapitulates Phylogeny was a theory put forth by Haeckel
    c 1865 (before my time) The theory is inaccurate at least for embryology.

The selfie was taken in 1963 when I was pregnant with my second child. Probably late summer. I was 25 at the time. I don't have any problem with people knowing my age. I'm past the point where it might matter for employment (discrimination against).
    edited August 5, 2013
    ...That song doesn't really have anything to do with ontogeny....

Yes, I know ... but you asked me whether I was a 'believer' in something ... that song reference was part of my answer.

pp
    edited August 5, 2013
    I asked if you believed in something specific. It wasn't a general question.
    edited August 6, 2013
    I asked if you believed in something specific. It wasn't a general question.

Yes - I know.

pp
    edited August 6, 2013
    No.2 (with blocks to reach pedals)

DSC_6853-L.jpg