Options

palo alto at night

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited August 22, 2004 in Landscapes
i met a friend tonight for dinner in palo alto, which is a really cool town about 30 minutes south of san francisco. we ate a glorious meal at evvia, one of the top greek restaurants i've ever been to. afterwards, instead of heading back to my hotel, i mounted my soon-to-be-sold 10d on my tripod and did a little night shooting, in preparation of tomorrow night's meeting with stfer steve cavigliano in san francisco.

palo alto is really a great town, coming back here so often lately makes me sort of wish i had accepted stanford's invitation to go there back in the 80s :) alas, mom didn't really want me to be 3,000 miles away for college.

i got a bunch of good stuff, here's one shot, i really like the old movies being promoted on the marquis :)

canon 10d, iso200, `1/6th sec at f/9. 16-35mm L on board. in post, curves adjustment, convert to bw, layer mask to return the color to the marquis, and then a 22% luminosity toning layer applied to all but the marquis area.

7486278-L.jpg

enjoy (night street) photography,

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i met a friend tonight for dinner in palo alto, which is a really cool town about 30 minutes south of san francisco. we ate a glorious meal at evvia, one of the top greek restaurants i've ever been to. afterwards, instead of heading back to my hotel, i mounted my soon-to-be-sold 10d on my tripod and did a little night shooting, in preparation of tomorrow night's meeting with stfer steve cavigliano in san francisco.

palo alto is really a great town, coming back here so often lately makes me sort of wish i had accepted stanford's invitation to go there back in the 80s :) alas, mom didn't really want me to be 3,000 miles away for college.

i got a bunch of good stuff, here's one shot, i really like the old movies being promoted on the marquis :)

canon 10d, iso200, `1/6th sec at f/9. 16-35mm L on board. in post, curves adjustment, convert to bw, layer mask to return the color to the marquis, and then a 22% luminosity toning layer applied to all but the marquis area.

7486278-S.jpg

This is a neat shot, Andy. I really admire your night photography. Someday I hope to learn how to shoot at night.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    Palo Alto is a great little area. I make it down there about twice a month for work and lunch.

Keep posting some more images from your visit, they always give me some great ideas!

Thanks for sharing.
    Dave
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2004
    Vey nice! A compelling photo that imprints itself in my mind and I will no doubt try to duplicate in my own febble way.

Great image. Inspiring.

Tim
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 19, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    This is a neat shot, Andy. I really admire your night photography. Someday I hope to learn how to shoot at night.
    Snappy - Shooting at night is great fun. It is cool, and much more pleasant than hot summer days, and offers lots more possibilities than mid-day shooting does. I am sure that your camera is capable of night shots - Give it a tryclap.gif

Great picture Andy, at ISO 200.

Neon at night is great fun and does not require real high ISO's to get good pictures - you usually have to underexpose to avoid blowing the highlights out of the water.

7484297-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    negative ec
    pathfinder wrote:
    Snappy - Shooting at night is great fun. It is cool, and much more pleasant than hot summer days, and offers lots more possibilities than mid-day shooting does. I am sure that your camera is capable of night shots - Give it a tryclap.gif

Great picture Andy, at ISO 200.

Neon at night is great fun and does not require real high ISO's to get good pictures - you usually have to underexpose to avoid blowing the highlights out of the water.

pathfinder, you are so right. this pic was -2/3 ec. very key to avoiding blowing out the lights.

thanks for the kind words!
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    andy wrote:

I love this shot Andy, thanks for the tips that go with it, very generous.7486278-S.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    this is wonderful path.. I have to stay up later and try this rolleyes1.gif
    [/QUOTE]7484297-S.jpg
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Gorgeous pic, Andy. Excellent composition. And you too, Pathfinder. That neon looks so perfect it almost looks unreal! Sweetness.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2004
    Andy, thanks for showing me how a way to do the marquee pic. Also, the pairing of sepia and the movie titles adds that crucial 2nd element which really makes the shot work - old silents with B&W audience is cool. I've been struggling with a marquee downtown, been there three times with nothing good to show for it yet.

Did you have to wait long to get the right shot?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2004
    sid - did i wait long?
    wxwax wrote:
    Andy, thanks for showing me how a way to do the marquee pic. Also, the pairing of sepia and the movie titles adds that crucial 2nd element which really makes the shot work - old silents with B&W audience is cool. I've been struggling with a marquee downtown, been there three times with nothing good to show for it yet.

Did you have to wait long to get the right shot?

you're very welcome :D this shot took about 20 seconds of waiting.... i saw the folks walking up the sidewalk, i ran across the street and beyond them, and set my tripod up with a few seconds to spare.

thanks so much!