Options

Daughter got married in June and the photography was AWFUL

vikesfanmbvikesfanmb Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 8, 2013 in Weddings
Hello all, newbie here. : )

My daughter got married on June 8th of this year. I did my homework, researched a number of different photographers and finally decided on one. We were in communication in the months prior to the wedding at least a couple times per week. I provided the photographer with a listing of the photos that I wished to have taken (like, the must-have shots). That list was not accomplished and I am left very disappointed.

I would like to post some of the photos here, but I'm not sure how? It seems as though it will only allow me to upload 1 at a time? But I have some 400 + photos (not that I had planned to upload them all but I wanted to give at least a sampling of more than 1)? I would like some opinions though on what I might do to improve on at least some of the shots she DID manage to take.

And I have spoken with the photographer both via phone and e-mail to see if she would work with me (perhaps do some studio shots or some purely bridal photography) and she is unwilling. UGH : (

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    careannecareanne Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2013
    What does the contract you signed say? Does it say all requested shots will be taken? As a second shooter for weddings, I know that it's hard to get every single shot, especially if it's a long list. Do the photos you received match the portfolio that you saw prior to booking her?
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    Yes - she said all requested shots would be taken, there was no "contract" however per se. I sent her a mandatory list of photos via email after securing her services with a deposit. The list was not followed and many, many shots did not get taken and her response was "some of the participants were not ready in time" (which is true) however there was LOTS of time after the wedding to get the shots missed - in between the wedding and reception.

I know now that I should have hired a photographer who 1) provided me with a contract and 2) provided a second photographer as an option. Looking back, my list was not that extensive, about 48 "for sure" photographs of which about half or maybe 2/3 if I'm feeling generous were completed. : (

Is there a way I can upload more than just 1 photo also? The photos just look odd to me for lack of a better term. My amateur photographer friend did a better job and I paid her nothing, but still a lot of the shots I wanted/needed are missing.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    This is kind of a personal thing, but I'd let it go. you can't redo the wedding. I'd guess it is in your best interest to let it go. I am sorry this happened.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    Thanks. I know the wedding cannot be "done over" but I was just so disappointed in the quality and the numerous missing shots. I mean, basic ones . . such as bride and mother, bride alone, etc.

There was even a shot where the photographer took pictures of someone else taking a picture of what SHE herself what supposed to take (hand/ring photos). : (

Live and learn, I guess. But I am a true novice and my editing skills are not good so I am looking for any help I can get in cleaning up some of these photos. There are excessive shadows, wonky angles, etc. Anyone out there know how I can upload more than 1 photo at a time? Thanks.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Did you do that edit above, or did she?

Just curious. Cus if she did, then yes, not only did she take an underexposed, out of focus shot, and deliver it (we all take out of focus shots at times, the problem is delivering them!), but that horrific editing is straight out of 1998.

On a positive note, It does appear that she tried to pose the girls in a flattering way.

No contract means that you have nothing in writing, and are unprotected. So is she if you decided to pursue anything, but it would be more heartache and money than it would be worth, IMO.

The average bride in the US pays at least 2K for wedding photography.
    I'm guessing this person seemed like a bargain, and that you paid substantially less than that...

It's just sad, and I'm sorry that you are in this situation.

A second photographer will usually not matter in cases like this, since the skill set of the first and the second are usually on par with each other.

She does own the copyright according to US law unless she gave you that in writing, with or without a contract, so be careful about re editing her work without permission; and/ or posting those re edited photos anywhere on line without the photographer's permission.

I won't work from shot lists, personally. Few of us will accept anything beyond a short list of family and close friend groupings. If people do send them to me, I let them know that I will only refer to it during the family and group shots.
    And that they need to appoint a close friend or relative to round up everyone needed for those group photos at the appointed time.

My advice would be to hire a good wedding photographer with an established business and reputation for an aftersession; if you, your daughter, and her husband are all willing.

An hour or two with a genuine professional might do much to help you and your family move on.
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Your best bet is to find a retoucher close to you that is will to edit them, as much as they are able to, to be better. You'll have to pay, typically per photo, but it is better than trying to do it yourself if you don't have the skills already. But there may not be much that can be done short of hiring another more experienced and professional photographer and just redoing the group portraits you were wanting. I'm guessing, from the one shot you shared, that there won't be much to work with on the editing side of it all. Also, without a contract, you have no recourse with the original photographer.

I will say that my contract says that I never guarantee that I'll get every photo. Of course I make every effort to get the portraits that they want, but sometimes it just doesn't happen. The timeline doesn't go as planned, the reception gets started, and the more informal groupings aren't a priority sometimes. I often remind my couples of them (when I know about them), but it's up to them to take the time away from the party to do them.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    Thank you for your reply. Yes - it was substantially less than $2K ($750 total actually) and she released the copyright to me so I assume I am o.k. in posting these online then?

Yes to your question, the photographer did edit this pic and many others, to my dismay. Even to a complete amateur photo buff as myself, I can tell the editing is poor. A lot of the shots were under exposed and not sharp at all. It does make me sad, but I suppose it's water under the bridge and lesson learned.

I did talk to and view the portfolio of a wide range of photographers (including this photographer) that would have charged anywhere between $450 and $3K. I thought I was getting a deal as well as a very talented photographer, based on the work that I saw. I was sorely disappointed as you can probably tell.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    She does own the copyright according to US law unless she gave you that in writing, with or without a contract, so be careful about re editing her work without permission; and/ or posting those re edited photos anywhere on line without the photographer's permission.
    He's right. When I mentioned finding someone near you to edit them, I should have said that. If you are able to get a hold of the original photographer via email, I would ask her permission to let them be edited by someone else if you go that route. But, as I said, I really don't think the quality is there.
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    vikesfanmb wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. Yes - it was substantially less than $2K ($750 total actually) and she released the copyright to me so I assume I am o.k. in posting these online then?

It depends on what the release says. Mine says that they can only post the watermarked photos online and never the full resolution. But I'm not sure what posting them, at least here, would do for you. We can tell by the one that has been posted what the general gyst of the rest will be.
  • Options
    bnlearlebnlearle Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    I want to be very respectful here as it's a personal situation for you and your daughter (having kids, I know how much of a bummer it is when things don't work out the way you wish for them -- especially with something so important!). Having said that, I agree with someone above who said to let it go. Unfortunately, and I am NOT blaming you or your daughter, you guys ended up choosing what looks like a bad photographer -- and there's no one who can go back and make her un-bad, so to speak :(

$750 is not a joking amount of money -- it's hard earned cash! But, unfortunately, in wedding photography, this is an amount that will almost force bad photos on you. Wedding photography is really, really heard -- or excellent, consisten wedding photography, I should say, and there is never a replacement for deciding something is so important that you're going to take a dent to the wallet. So while $750 is a lot of money, it's nothing in wedding photography.

I only specify some of this here not to be mean, or anything, but just so that others can read and learn. I also did similar things for my wedding 11 years ago. I share my experience (similar to yours $ wise) so that others will know that IF wedding photography really is important to you, you'll have to find the photographer you like and save up -- as opposed to finding the photographer that you can easily afford and hoping that things work out. They just usually don't :(

Bobby
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    While some are encouraging to "move on", I do think there is always a considerable amount to be gained by professional post-production. If I were you, I would ask the photographer for un-edited original images, and I would take them to a professional color correction / retouching lab.

If the photographer refuses to deliver un-edited images, you may have to bribe them, and/or assure them that you are only going to use them at professional, high-quality print labs.

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    While some are encouraging to "move on", I do think there is always a considerable amount to be gained by professional post-production. If I were you, I would ask the photographer for un-edited original images, and I would take them to a professional color correction / retouching lab.

If the photographer refuses to deliver un-edited images, you may have to bribe them, and/or assure them that you are only going to use them at professional, high-quality print labs.

Take care,
    =Matt=

I agree. There isn't much that can be done with out of focus shots, but exposure and other flaws can be greatly improved by someone who knows how. I'd be willing to bet that there are enough decent shots--not great, but decent--in the entire set that a skilled person can salvage an adequate take.

Maybe you can get the photographer to give you all the shots, unedited, perhaps with a bribe or under the threat of a suit in small claims court. I'll bet there are at least a few shots worth developing.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    So sad....................

That said I would as others have suggested try to get the raw images so you can have them professionally processed.

Also I would (not recommending you do) take a real good objective look at her website and what was presented to you prior to hiring her. Are the delivered images consistent with what is on her website?

Were you able to review an entire wedding set?

My concern here is did she deliberately misrepresent her skills or is it simply a matter of ignorance and incompetence?

In ether case if it is truly fraud or gross incompetence I would seriously consider taking her to small claims court. Not so much for the money although it would help to pay for the professional post processing, but to have her on official notice concerning her business practices and or skill set.

My goal would be to help prevent others from having the same unhappy experience.

Sam
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    My hat is off to those who do (good) wedding photography. Honestly, I couldn't take the pressure! Even if I completely blow a sports shoot, the worst effect is to anger my editor and lose a few bucks in sales. I can't imagine failing to capture the events of the special day. Hell, I recently turned down an offer to be a second shooter at a wedding, just because I am too scared!
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Ok, editing them might help. A tiny bit.
    But who would take that job? I despise editing my own photos if I've blown a shot, and am trying to save something with noise or misfocus.
    Usually I just delete those, cus it's not fun to try to make a bad photo good. And good wedding photographers know that they are only as strong as their weakest image.

As a female wedding photographer who also does after sessions for couples like your daughter and her husband pretty often, I truly feel that the quickest route to feeling better about this is to hire someone good, and do another session in their wedding clothes, along with you and other willing family members.
    Then, order some big gorgeous prints, frame them, and enjoy them forever.

If you don't do it, time will pass, appearances will change, and the overriding memory of her wedding will be the horrible photographer. Once you do the aftersession, healing begins. Seen it after as long as 8 years later with some couples.
    It's the best gift you can give your daughter at this point, if she and her husband are willing to do it.

Going to court, small claims or not, will drag it all out, take an emotional toll on your an your daughter, and become the overriding memory of her wedding day for years to come. It's up to you to decide if you want to do that, but I personally feel that it will cost you far more emotionally than you stand to gain, especially for such a small amount.

Since you paid her so much less than any experienced, qualified, insured, legal, tax paying US wedding photographer charges, it might be argued in court that you got about what you paid for.
    And if you lose, then it's an even worse memory. And if you win, it's still not going to make it better.

But good pictures from a good photographer in the clothes that you wore at her wedding will help you and your daughter heal. This is a purely female perspective, and I expect the men in the forum to have different opinions. Men always have to be 'talked into' aftesessions. But guys, remember: happy wife, happy life! Does any husband want each anniversary to be a reminder of a bad photographer, and a court case?

On line reviews naming names would be enough to alert others, if you feel the need to do that.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I have replied to this stream about 4 times, but each time get a phone call or something... But Smurfy pretty much nailed everything I was going to say! Go hire a pro, shoot something new and move on!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Total aside: This thread makes me even more anxious that I finally agreed to shoot a wedding....

OP, I'm actually glad to have seen this. It reminds me I have some serious prep work to do between now and when I do shoot this first wedding to guarantee I am NOT that "first timer" who leaves a family disappointed, and to ensure that I can deliver something that will give my client a lifetime of memories. I am also SO SO SO grateful I have an experienced wedding pro co-shooting with me so that even if I can't nail it through my inexperience, I KNOW there will be gorgeousness to deliver!! Worth every penny to me to have at least a little peace of mind this first time out of the gate....

As to your own photos: I agree that some high end processing may improve matters for you; they may not be "perfect", but they may be closer to what you want. If you want an after-session at that point, it certainly seems like another viable option. Good luck!
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    Ok, editing them might help. A tiny bit.
    But who would take that job? I despise editing my own photos if I've blown a shot, and am trying to save something with noise or misfocus.

Editing can help A LOT, if the original editing was done poorly. Yes, an image is an image and it should stand on its own two feet without any editing at all. But that's different from poor editing, IMO. Poor editing can take a decent photo or even a great photo, and make it mediocre or even downright yucky.

I gave the advice to get professional color correction and retouching based on the fact that the photographer did a "partial B&W" processing which hasn't been popular since the 90's. I could tell that the underlying image had good enough potential.

And as far as WHO would take that job, well, pretty much any professional retouching / color correction service, because that's what they do! It may seem like a tedious / un-desirable task for the average self-employed pro, but there's plenty of color-correction labs or professionals out there willing to fully edit hundreds of photos for just a few cents per image... :-)

Take care,
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Can OP link her portfolio for us?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I guess the only thing I am wondering is did you not review the photographers work prior? If you were happy with their work before then why are you unhappy now? I agree with smurfy and Heather. If you were unhappy with the output of the original photographer then move on to another one that does quality work.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    OK, I have had it! You want help, we will provide help.

Post 6 of the very best images from your wedding and a link to the photographers website.

We will then be in a position to determine if the images provided to you are consistent with the
    images presented to you as typical of her work and skill level.

By seeing 6 of the very best images we will be able to determine if additional post processing will be of any major benefit to you.

Sam
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Can OP link her portfolio for us?

x2
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.