Options

Hi-jacked Meta Data Really

2»

Comments

• Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Also, Google isn't the fastest service...after all, they are responsible for every piece of digital information in the world :)

Right click on your page and click "View Source Code"

Still there.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    RKnecht wrote: »
    Still there.

Both your Homepage Meta Description and Homepage Meta Keywords are empty in your Account Settings. You need to add your information there.
  • Options
    RKnechtRKnecht Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    OK thanks Michael. It's fine now.
    A few Nikon bodies and some fast Nikon glass

www.richknechtphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    RKnecht wrote: »
    OK thanks Michael. It's fine now.

Sweet! Glad it is fixed. Let me know if you have any other issues.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Both your Homepage Meta Description and Homepage Meta Keywords are empty in your Account Settings. You need to add your information there.

So unless a user actively puts information into those fields they are automatically populated with SmugMug advertising?

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    mbellot wrote: »
    So unless a user actively puts information into those fields they are automatically populated with SmugMug advertising?

rolleyes1.gif

This has always been the case. But you've had the option forever to have your own meta data override SmugMug's. Years ago, it was what you put in your "bio box" - then there became a spot in control panel to put it in. Now it's in your account settings.
  • Options
    Zoomer911Zoomer911 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Thank you SMUGMUG for fixing that BUG
  • Options
    HelpMeHelpMe Registered Users Posts: 5 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi - I'm a Power user and had the same trouble as others. A few days back I noticed it, then I saw you were looking at the problem and it seemed to get fixed at least according to meta tag checks I was performing online. Google also now finds my page but sadly has the smugmug text add-on, eg. billions of photos/memories, etc. I did a source code check by right clicking on my photo page and there appears to be an old profile description I was using rather than my very new Home Page description and meta tags as outlined above. Is it just a question of waiting until this stuff updates magically, or is there a way to edit my source code and cut and paste the correct text into the various sections, eg. Twitter which have the old description? Google has my new text but with the smugmug add-on, Twitter has my old text, and there are a few other 'descriptions' in the source code that have my old text. Just wait? or can we edit those pieces of source code?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    HelpMe wrote: »
    Hi - I'm a Power user and had the same trouble as others. A few days back I noticed it, then I saw you were looking at the problem and it seemed to get fixed at least according to meta tag checks I was performing online. Google also now finds my page but sadly has the smugmug text add-on, eg. billions of photos/memories, etc. I did a source code check by right clicking on my photo page and there appears to be an old profile description I was using rather than my very new Home Page description and meta tags as outlined above. Is it just a question of waiting until this stuff updates magically, or is there a way to edit my source code and cut and paste the correct text into the various sections, eg. Twitter which have the old description? Google has my new text but with the smugmug add-on, Twitter has my old text, and there are a few other 'descriptions' in the source code that have my old text. Just wait? or can we edit those pieces of source code?

Please make sure all the data in your account settings and profile are correct. Give it a couple of days and Google will eventually update it.
  • Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    This has always been the case. But you've had the option forever to have your own meta data override SmugMug's. Years ago, it was what you put in your "bio box" - then there became a spot in control panel to put it in. Now it's in your account settings.

Well... Here I thought it was one of the new "features".

That's even worse.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    No answer for "theresav"????

??
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    No answer for "theresav"????

There has already been a reply from a Power User (see post #21) stating that it disappeared once custom metadata was put in place.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Still no luck
    Please make sure all the data in your account settings and profile are correct. Give it a couple of days and Google will eventually update it.

Well it's been 5 days and in fact it's been longer (perhaps 9-10 days) since my meta data in my Account Settings was finalised. Google search result works fine, but when I try to place a link to my site on my FaceBook page, it uses some old text that I had in my profile. When I right click my home page, the source code actually has this old text in three different spots including against something called Twitter description. So why can't someone at Smugmug just go into this and update it with my more recent text that also forms a part of the source code? Otherwise, how long should I expect to wait before some kind of magic occurs and the old text just vanishes, if that's what I am hearing just naturally occurs. Is there no way to intervene? Something about Twitter Cards on the web suggests a site owner can go in and update this. Just seeking some reassurance that I wont just try to do a Facebook link day after day and get the same result. Best regards.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    HelpMe wrote: »
    Well it's been 5 days and in fact it's been longer (perhaps 9-10 days) since my meta data in my Account Settings was finalised. Google search result works fine, but when I try to place a link to my site on my FaceBook page, it uses some old text that I had in my profile. When I right click my home page, the source code actually has this old text in three different spots including against something called Twitter description. So why can't someone at Smugmug just go into this and update it with my more recent text that also forms a part of the source code? Otherwise, how long should I expect to wait before some kind of magic occurs and the old text just vanishes, if that's what I am hearing just naturally occurs. Is there no way to intervene? Something about Twitter Cards on the web suggests a site owner can go in and update this. Just seeking some reassurance that I wont just try to do a Facebook link day after day and get the same result. Best regards.

I don't think there is any delay needed for YOUR page to get updated (as opposed to other providers that index). I checked my own view-source, and mine is clear of any ad text, and just has my own text.

Can you check your account settings (example below) and make sure they are fully populated?

Then for every folder displayed or every gallery displayed check the "settings" (you can get there under organize) and make sure the same meta/keyword/description fields are filled in (particularly meta description which is different from the gallery description)?
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    This issue has been bugging me for a couple of days, but I'm only now seeing this thread.

The other day I posted a link to FB. That's when I noticed my information was not as it had been when I set my SEO info on my legacy site.

The page title was my site's nickname, and the description was from my old bio page.

i-scLwfSn-L.png

It was suggested I change the information in the new profile page. I did so.

i-7pq7gTR-L.png

While my name appeared on my next text post, the description is still the old bio page.

i-7FdvVCk-L.png

I check my source code. The old info is underlined in red. The old SEO information is in yellow highlighter.

i-6WT465k-L.png

That's coming from my account setting SEO page. I'd placed that stuff there over a year ago. It's also different than what I placed in the Profile page, at least the second sentence is.

i-g2VbV8Q-L.png

So just where do I change this? I really want this solved sometime soon.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I'm not SM, but my suggestion is first change the things you know are wrong. So if the SEO data is not what you want, change it. However...

I did discover old information in mine. It was what was in "Profile" but I had removed the profile entirely from all pages (doing it manually in the header). I dragged a profile onto a page and found the old description showing up, so I went back to the Profile and changed it (overall not just the content block), saved, published, and ... still shows the old info.

So maybe there is a delay. Perhaps some sort of caching in their network? Not sure.

But I would encourage you to change any that you see that are wrong, like the SEO. It seems anything you have anywhere is fair game for them to use (well, probably as it should be).
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Hi Ron,

So I test this and this is what I found. The "My Name" field from the Profile is being displayed next to the gallery, and the "Description" field from Profile is below that....Now, the description showing on my FB is my old description. I just updated to what you see in the Profile screen this morning, so yes, it is taking time to index.

2013-08-13_1052-XL.png
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Thanks. Darter02 captured it perfectly. And grateful to mbonocore for further illustrating. I will wait patiently and update this thread as soon as this 'indexing' issue resolves itself. That way others will have a sense of the time and hopefully not rework this issue over again. Like I said, it has taken best part of 10 days so far. Best regards.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Well my Smugmug Home source code appears to have now updated itself with the correct text. Yippee. BUT ! Despite that, when I do a link in FaceBook, it still uses the old text that is absolutely nowhere to be seen. So I suspect there may be a little more patience required while Facebook updates its material that may be cached or something. Will let you know. Regards.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    OK - all now good - have patience (up to 10 days folks) and it does actually all update itself in the end. For your Homepage or any galleries you wish, go into your Account Settings, give things a name, description against the various tag fields and then wait. It does get there and the inadvertent add-on text seems to only appear as a default for any page you do not have such meta descriptions. Fair enough I reckon. Regards.