Options

Open letter to Smugmug

13»

Comments

• Options
    dave.turleydave.turley Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    mbellot wrote: »
    It's pretty clear SM isn't willing (any more) to "leave that responsibility to us", they want to develop (and control) a handful of JS modules that we would be able to incorporate into our sites.

Call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised that if/when a JS Paypal module were released for use that it would include methods for profit collection on SmugMug's behalf.

dave.turley - Six+ years and dozens of events has left me with more images and albums than I care to contemplate, so "whining" at SmugMug to NOT REMOVE FEATURES with their new release seemed like the best solution.

But maybe you're right, it's time to start looking elsewhere instead of trying to continue with SmugMug. They seem hell bent on being like every other "photo sharing" site (templates and eye candy) instead of continuing down the path they started, giving users the ability to truly customize their site.

Congrats on your 6+ years. Although that has no relevance whatsoever. (wonder why people keep telling me how many years they've put in) Whining (as you are) may have seemed like the best solution, but as an adult you know that it's not.... right? If you're willing to look elsewhere there's also no relevance to the amount of galleries you have. They are all moveable. Modern tecnology is good at stuff like that. What ever you do, good luck and a following wind.
  • Options
    trevrtrevr Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Just an idea but have SM seen how Trello communicate their development cycle to users?

https://trello.com/b/nC8QJJoZ/trello-development

So SM users can keep up to date with what you are working on and what's in the pipeline, is it worth starting a board at Trello as it might appease those who feel that features/issues have not been captured and are being worked on.

I do think SM has to be a bit careful as to who their target users are as if they get too mainstream and not cater for the customising niche they created, they could become just another photo hosting provider and end up fighting for Flickr's paying customers as the "customisers" will move over to the likes of square space.

Note: I have actually returned to SM in the last few days since the update, the new folder system was actually a nice addition to allow me to host my private images, keep them organised and share with the family so I am a happy user...but not a pro.

Just my 2 pence.
  • Options
    mmcguiremmcguire Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2013
    trevr wrote: »
    Note: I have actually returned to SM in the last few days since the update, the new folder system was actually a nice addition to allow me to host my private images, keep them organised and share with the family so I am a happy user...but not a pro.

How are you organizing those folders? How do you hide a "family" folder and still allow family to browse folders/galleries under that? Or do you have a totally different way of doing it? Here is my example: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237765
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    On the subject of javascript, its been inferred elsewhere that 'certified customisers', such as Fastline Media, have been able to add javascript to smugmug sites. I don't think anyone knows whether the JS on their example sites (e.g. http://fastlinemedia.smugmug.com/?template=Premier&skin=light ) is the result of clever workarounds or Smugmug opening a back door for them, but I would be interested to know what the official line on this is.

Confirmation from the top on this matter:
    Baldy wrote: »
    I think what you'll see is trusted customizers using JavaScript first, not because we have some financial relationship with them, but because the deployment is difficult and we want to get our feet wet with them first.
  • Options
    trevrtrevr Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    mmcguire wrote: »
    How are you organizing those folders? How do you hide a "family" folder and still allow family to browse folders/galleries under that? Or do you have a totally different way of doing it? Here is my example: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237765

I have a top level folder called "Private Area" - name it how you like but it does need to be listed. I set the security on the folder to be un-searchable and password protected. Then any sub-folders are set to inherit so if browse from the top level, you enter the password once and can browse the folders. If you send a direct link to a sub-folder, you are still prompted for the password. If you make the top level unlisted, then all sub-folders will be and then you will not be able to browse the folder structure. My structure is:

Private Are (Folder, Listed, password protected)
    - Year (Folder, Inherit)
    - - Month (Folder, Inherit)
    - - - Event (Gallery, Inherit, other settings)

I have tested a direct link to each level that the password prompt exists.

Hope this helps.