Anyone have experience with AsukaBook?

AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited January 16, 2006 in Finishing School
AsukaBook

I would love to be able to make a well printed and binded book out of my own photography. I'd heard these guys mentioned before, however, I am not a "professional" per se. I don't make money off my photos or anything... I'm just a guy who likes to take photos. Is this a problem? It does say this in the FAQ:

"Asukabooks are available to professional photographers and designers creating books for resale or promotions. We do not sell directly to consumers. When you submit your application for an account, we verify your business status. Please contact us if you have any questions or are unsure if your business qualifies."

So maybe that's out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could make similar books that you've had a good experience with? One thing that's a priority to me is to be able to make my own pages in PS. None of this "wizard" junk.

Help is appreciated!
Nikon D50
Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
Nikon SB-800 Speedlight

Comments

• pcasperpcasper Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 7, 2005
    Andyman,

No experience with Asukabooks, but I am about to take the plunge with Mypublisher.com. I have seen one of their photo books and was much impressed for the price. Their software is very easy to use.

Paul
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    pcasper wrote:
    Andyman,

No experience with Asukabooks, but I am about to take the plunge with Mypublisher.com. I have seen one of their photo books and was much impressed for the price. Their software is very easy to use.

Paul
    You might want to read this thread before you make your decission...

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=22830

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Thanks, guys =).
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • lalalala Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 7, 2006
    I have used MyPublisher in recent months and was very pleasantly surprised by how nice they are. Mind you, they are nowhere near what I would call "high-end" quality, but they are a nice "IKEA generation" kind of thing.

I've had albums done there for 3 wedding clients, and they all absolutely love them.

I did all the design in PS, dropped the finished pages into their software, and uploaded the books via their software. I encountered no problems, the color was good, the paper quality was good, the price was affordable.

I did not like that they put an endpage in with MyPublisher written across it, but I removed that with no trouble.

I would certainly use them again, but am looking into Asukabooks for a more high-end look, so am very interested in others' experience with them.

Linda
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2006
    My friend did a book hard cover with Iphoto software , send it online, looked nice , very affordable. azuka books run pretty high 70-125$- for 8x8 to 10x10 with 20-30 sides ( i think 2 sides = 1 page. I havent ordered one yet so cant offer any more info.