Options

My Vision For The Pro EVENT Feature:

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited August 10, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Let me just say that I am very, very excited to see the new organizational tools that have been implemented in the back-end infrastructure! An Explorer / Finder-style interface is something that I have always known was coming...

I hope that the pro feature for Event Galleries can join this new back-end organization soon. Right now as a studio that does 150+ weddings per year, our Event page is, well, pretty long.

I know that SmugMug recently overcame some patent trolls regarding something along these lines, so I know that we might be opening new opportunities for pros in the near future...

I would love to see some sort of publicly visible event organization interface, where clients can find their wedding event either by just browsing to the correct year / month folder, and/or by searching for their date or name. This would improve our print sales situation by a long, long shot because it would make it far more easy to just hand out generic business cards at an event, and have guests easily find galleries. (Instead of having to pre-make event pages and print custom cards, which is simply not a task a large studio can undertake easily...)

It would be awesome to see event pages and organization work essentially just the same as folders do now. I don't know if this is possible, but I imagine maybe somehow we could just turn existing event pages into "folders with special new features", dump them in a new folder named something like "event pages" ...and then just give us new functionality options for folders in the future. Because that's essentially what an event page is now; a folder with the ability to register guests and allow them to pick favorites.

If you decide to keep Event organization a back-end-only, I would at least like to be able to start organizing them into folders, and be able to search through them, so that my event page doesn't become 500+ items long within just a few years...

Considering that most small-time or beginning pros can get almost everything they need in the new middle-pro package at $150 per year, I think that beefed-up functionality for Events would greatly increase the value of a $300 / year investment.
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments