Options

EXIF reporting errors

Comments

• Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I am working on trying to put together a public doc.
    Ping.
    Something new on this I might have missed?
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    Ping.
    Something new on this I might have missed?

Nope. Not yet. Still working on it. Hopefully by Monday
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    Okay, thanks.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013

Any word to share?

One thing that might be helpful to those impatient is if we got confirmation of what is wrong, and how it will be fixed -- is the intent that this be capture time? And/or what is the intended definition?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited August 21, 2013
    any time estimate on a fix?

--- Denise
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    I would like to know too. Monday has come and gone, and now its Friday.
    All new pics uploaded are also showing "Date modified".

Is there a bug filed somewhere?
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    mbonocore - about 2 weeks ago, you said you would try to get more information tomorrow. Have you been able to do so?

Thanks!
  • Options
    moirainemoiraine Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    There is a fix for "date" as well as "focal length" in the works. Sorry for the delay in notice!
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    moiraine wrote: »
    There is a fix for "date" as well as "focal length" in the works...

Can you be a bit more specific, please? I reckon 40 bucks a year entitles me to something better than that.

"In the works" could mean anything between "we've got the corrected code in place, properly tested and ready to go, we're just waiting for the next incremental public release", and "John/Jane Doe scribbled it on the back of his/her hand, (s)he'll get on it when things slacken off a bit".
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Yes, sorry, this is live now. There is another bug reported in this thread related to exif data *not making it over* that was not fixed with this push, but what is fixed is:
    - date is now "date modified"
    - date taken was added
    - focal length no longer shows off by factors of 10, 100, 1000 numbers
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Yes, sorry, this is live now. There is another bug reported in this thread related to exif data *not making it over* that was not fixed with this push, but what is fixed is:
    - date is not "date modified"
    - date taken was added
    Thank you, that's much better thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    - date is not "date modified"
    - date taken was added
    Thanks for that!

Please don't take it personal, but can you please forward to Baldy or the managers in charge, that SMs feedback/communication policy related to bug findings by customers, their recognition by SM and last but not least giving information about which was fixed and when, is pretty "suboptimal" for not calling it grottenschlecht.

So far I never saw a post "we did it" but only "sorry for being late, it was fixed the other day" or similar.
    Yesterday we more or less accidentally found out that e.g. webmaster tools and statcounter have been implemented and the favicon issue was solved as well.

It should be pretty easy for [strike]you[/strike] SM to send PMs to all customers which have unveiled already in order to inform them about fixes.
  • Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    - date taken was added

Thank you. I appreciate having the data taken available. And I see my 10701mm lens has now shrunk to 10.701. Much easier to carry! -- Jim Ringland
    Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Indeed fixed... nice to see date taken and modified now... but the UI/layout is still ugly if you have some very long filenames as i have reported here (with screenshot).
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks for that!

Please don't take it personal, but can you please forward to Baldy or the managers in charge, that SMs feedback/communication policy related to bug findings by customers, their recognition by SM and last but not least giving information about which was fixed and when, is pretty "suboptimal" for not calling it grottenschlecht.

So far I never saw a post "we did it" but only "sorry for being late, it was fixed the other day" or similar.

I believe that the communication is being worked on, and I'm simply doing my part in trying to help out in spare cycles in the mean time. In my opinion, every post would have a "sorry for the inconvenience" feeling, and some customer out there is always going to think it's "late"...

I think there are plenty of posts out there of people saying "we fixed it" within hours (if not minutes) after it was fixed though (specially in the last week or two). If commenting on every thread I know about when a fix goes live happens is not enough, I apologize, but for now it's the best tool I have.

There are high hopes in my mind that once things get less crazy that a better system will be put in place to notify users when changes get made (as many other threads have asked for)
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Thanks for that!

Yesterday we more or less accidentally found out that e.g. webmaster tools and statcounter have been implemented and the favicon issue was solved as well.

It should be pretty easy for [strike]you[/strike] SM to send PMs to all customers which have unveiled already in order to inform them about fixes.

Feel free to blame me. I take full responsibility for this. I am doing my best, but I am running this forum by myself, with help from volunteers like Moiraine. While I would love to be on DGrin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it is impossible, and this is not my only responsibility here at SM. And with the very high increase in participation here, it has obviously been difficult. Just a reminder, the only way to guarantee a SmugMug employee will see your feedback, bug reports, etc is to email help@smugmug.com

Chances are we will see it here as well, but again, with really this just being me at the moment, it may take some extra time.

But, at the end of the day, it's my forum, my responsibility. So feel free to lay any blame solely on me.

Thanks, and again, my sincere apologies.

Michael
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Feel free to blame me. I take full responsibility for this. I am doing my best, but I am running this forum by myself, with help from volunteers like Moiraine. While I would love to be on DGrin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it is impossible, and this is not my only responsibility here at SM. And with the very high increase in participation here, it has obviously been difficult. Just a reminder, the only way to guarantee a SmugMug employee will see your feedback, bug reports, etc is to email help@smugmug.com

I'm sorry if you feel this is piling on, but this is pure bunk.

You don't NEED to stay on 24 hours a day, you need a PROCESS of communication so there is a single place people can look to see acknowledged bugs, and their status.

Trying to do this is a forum format is nearly impossible; I can see why you (and we) are frustrated.

You don't need to comment on every thread if you used some kind of consolidated tracking. Each thread could be ENDED with a "Refer to tracking number 12345" and that's it.

And as to the idea of using bug reports -- I think all of us gave up, between our own experience with lack of followup and the reported lack here, I think we all feel like we get more help from each other than we are from the heros. And AGAIN, I'm not blaming individuals, I'm blaming process. Setting up a ticket/bug tracking system is not rocket science, indeed it is settled science. A decent SDLC that incorporates bug tracking and status reporting (and ETA's by the way) should be part of any development effort.

Either Smugmug lacks that, or they aren't making it available to flow through and communicate with your customers.

We do not mean to belittle any individual's contributions, especially those who are probably way behind on sleep trying to keep up with a broken process.

But guys -- your process is just plain broken. Your vision, your general product, your talent is exemplary. But the bug fix/delivery/QC and most important communication process is broken.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    Just a reminder, the only way to guarantee a SmugMug employee will see your feedback, bug reports, etc is to email help@smugmug.com
    Yepp, but I don't need help/support. If I would need support I either ask in the support forum (user <-> user and if lucky a Hero steps in) or write to this address. But with a new, mostly undocumented product it is difficult to tell, if its me doing something really wrong, or is it a bug or if there is just another way to do what I want to do.

When it was me doing things wrong I immediately got an answer in here, but for the rest (bug reporting) there was / still is silence ;)
    No "okay, we will look to it", no "okay, we can reproduce it", no "we were able to reproduce it and a fix is coming soon", no active "it is fixed".

SM can't drive (or shouldn't, if they can't maintain it) an official "bug report forum" and than telling better write to help@. Sorry, this won't work to customers satisfaction.
    All software I was betatester for so far at least came with a list of known, unsolved bugs when a new version was released; not only to disburden the support / helpdesk.

See this: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1902295#post1902295
    Seems no one is interested in it. I still see odd locations / pins when logged in (any browser)
    Chances are we will see it here as well, but again, with really this just being me at the moment, it may take some extra time.

But, at the end of the day, it's my forum, my responsibility. So feel free to lay any blame solely on me.

Michael
    I am far away from blaming you or any other Hero personally. I can imagine what the last three weeks have been for you.
    But as we Germans say "Der Fisch stinkt vom Kopfe her" - "the rot starts at the top"

Two or three weeks ago, when the probs raised it was IMHO easy to anticipate, that there is a need for a different way of communication, setting up workflows to handle all the bug reports and to give feedback to us ASAP - in one or the other way.
    Even when this would have meant to hire 10 people - for say - the next three month.
    Having something like a quality management would be good as well, before a new product is released.
    I am curious: has there been something like a beta test and how long was the beta test period?

Its not done yet, just because the most obvious 10 problems are solved.

But I believe I don't have to tell you (personal) things like that. So as said, forward that to Baldy - or whom ever is responsible on top of you - in the next team meeting.

I dare to jump in to the thread "SmugMug Update From Baldy" to tell him myself, because as far I see he fights a battle about "JS or not" in there.
    And to be honest, I am bored to see how he handles the "New SM" case in general, which is for sure not a minor one.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    I am doing my best, but I am running this forum by myself, with help from volunteers like Moiraine. While I would love to be on DGrin 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, it is impossible, and this is not my only responsibility here at SM... Michael

I do sympathise, it takes time and hard-knocks to accrue the experience to be able to be an effective Manager, even on forums.

When the crap's hitting the fans all day and all night it's hard to decide when to lead from the front, when to lead from the back, when to delegate and when to stop.

IMO, delegation is the best bat in the rack. It means that you don't have to do 24/7 and prevents job-saturation and burn-out. Of course, when you delegate you need to let everybody here know who you've left steering the ship.

Try MBWA rather than RALAC. It worked for Steve Jobs thumb.gif
  • Options
    DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Thank you Michael.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013

Michael
    I would disagree with everything you are saying here. Its not your fault. Almost every software product uses a bug reporting system like bugzilla etc., to keep track of bugs and mark as fixed. This is how bug tracking is done. So the management is at fault for not having such a trackable system.
  • Options
    rekrosrekros Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    - date taken was added

It seems searching in galleries is still based on "date modified" instead of "date taken".
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    rekros wrote: »
    It seems searching in galleries is still based on "date modified" instead of "date taken".

I just did a search by a specific date and it used the "Date Taken." No problems on my end.

"Date Digitized" still reads, "2011-02-11" for all my photos. No idea why.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    "Date Digitized" still reads, "2011-02-11" for all my photos. No idea why.
    Because this what is embedded in your images for "Date Digitized". A said here.

EDIT: by closer look to your images it seems that the date was added by PS or Bridge. Are you using metadata templates?
  • Options
    cameronkscameronks Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    - date taken was added

Any news on Video exif data?
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    "B." Date is the EXIF create or modified date of the file - it should change with every change you write to it, f.e. when embedding keywords.

SM takes the B. as CreateDate at the moment, which is considered as a bug.

For your "C." date is to say, that some software must have messed this date up because it (2011:02:11 09:50:40) is to find on others images (not only) in your "Me" gallery as well.

Exiftool (there is a GUI) can equalize all others EXIF dates to the "DateTimeOriginal" in batch mode. But IPTC "Date Created" might stay on 2011, unless you use Exiftool on command line or another tool which writes it from changed "EXIF DateTimeOriginal" to IPTC and XMP fields with one run.

i-trNddPJ-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    EDIT: by closer look to your images it seems that the date was added by PS or Bridge. Are you using metadata templates?

I am constantly creating templates, but I make a new one for each location that I do frequent shooting. Each one has all the location information, and general keywords associated with the location. Say I am shooting at a local park often. I'll make a base template that has the name of the park, the city, state, etc. I'll add lots of keywords that have to do with that park. When I then shoot something in that park all I need to add new keywords for shot specific details, and the names of those in the shots.

I guess it's not critical that this is changed. I just don't understand where it comes from.
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2013
    cameronks wrote: »
    Any news on Video exif data?

The Video exif data bug is currently in our system. The issue is that it's showing the size of the preview image instead of the video. Unfortunately, I don't know when a fix for this will be released at this time, sorry for the inconvenience =(
  • Options
    rekrosrekros Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2013
    I just did a search by a specific date and it used the "Date Taken." No problems on my end.

I tried to refine search results by date and all the photos as marked as "This year" even when they were taken more than year ago or within this month...
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2013
    I guess it's not critical that this is changed. I just don't understand where it comes from.
    Question if its changed, or if it was always wrong. Did you check the originals in PS? Or even better the RAW before they go trough following workflows?

I also would check the camera, the process or hardware by which you copy them from camera to computer/storage (and maybe alter this, different card reader etc) and the editing software.
    Since all images have the same time down to the seconds, it must be stored somehow.