Options

First Efforts With Extension Tubes

chaseltonchaselton Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
edited August 7, 2013 in Holy Macro
Actually, not the first...about the second or third. I've found out the hard way that a tripod is a must. Also, I stepped down to the 22" tube until I've read the Tips and Tutorials thread...my first shoot with the 36" didn't produce a single usable shot.

DSC_3950-M.jpg

DSC_3855-M.jpg

DSC_4050-M.jpg
indefinite objects
anything can be amazing

Comments

• Options
    IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Exceptionally well rendered detail. For inanimate objects, Tripod, Mirror lockup are what I would say a compulsory requirement really. No point in hand holding the shot for something that won't move. However, if you move into Bug photography, tripod is just simply not an option in my opinion unless your bug is quite happy to sit where it is and refuses to move. Even then, sometimes getting a tripod in place to where you need it for say 1:1 shots is probably more hassle than it's worth. :).

I think the watch shot is stunning. Wonderful lighting, superb detail and very sharp. Well done! :)
  • Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Came out well - esp like the watch.
    Brian v.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    IPClark wrote: »
    Exceptionally well rendered detail. For inanimate objects, Tripod, Mirror lockup are what I would say a compulsory requirement really. No point in hand holding the shot for something that won't move. However, if you move into Bug photography, tripod is just simply not an option in my opinion unless your bug is quite happy to sit where it is and refuses to move. Even then, sometimes getting a tripod in place to where you need it for say 1:1 shots is probably more hassle than it's worth. :).

I think the watch shot is stunning. Wonderful lighting, superb detail and very sharp. Well done! :)

Wow, thanks!

And thanks for the bug shot advice (though I'll need to lookup what 'mirror lockup' means). I'm really hoping that the small colony of European paper wasps returns to our back landing so I can try out the extension tubes; I will definitely use those tips.

Unfortunately they (wasps) are running late :(

--sent from mobile
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    chaselton wrote: »
    Wow, thanks!

And thanks for the bug shot advice (though I'll need to lookup what 'mirror lockup' means). I'm really hoping that the small colony of European paper wasps returns to our back landing so I can try out the extension tubes; I will definitely use those tips.

Unfortunately they (wasps) are running late :(

--sent from mobile

Mirror-up is live-view .
    They say that the movement of the mirror causes extra vibration...........
    Mirror-up prevents that
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Watch shot is very good. Like the composition. I was going to say turn off IS if you have it when using a tripod. But several 'experts' say it doesn't make any difference. I don't know. Who does!

I see you like photographing objects, as I do. You have a very good sense of good lighting, which I think is very important. Nice work. On FLICKR?

Rob
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    The contact menu item doesn't work on your Smug site. I got a strange error msg about logging on with mailto and it just took me back to your homepage. So I doubt people can contact you. Have a look at my contact button - it goes to the standard smugmug contact form (this is under the new smugmug). http://www.macromeister.co.uk/
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    The contact menu item doesn't work on your Smug site. I got a strange error msg about logging on with mailto and it just took me back to your homepage. So I doubt people can contact you. Have a look at my contact button - it goes to the standard smugmug contact form (this is under the new smugmug). http://www.macromeister.co.uk/

Thanks for the catch. Initially that standard contact form didn't work for me when I was setting up under the new site layout...even though I'd previously verified my email.

It still doesn't work exactly...the contact menu item brings up a form with a different email than the one in my profile, but it goes to the same location.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Watch shot is very good. Like the composition. I was going to say turn off IS if you have it when using a tripod. But several 'experts' say it doesn't make any difference. I don't know. Who does!

I see you like photographing objects, as I do. You have a very good sense of good lighting, which I think is very important. Nice work. On FLICKR?

Rob

Yes, I am on flicker...should be on my home page but just in case: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chaselton/.

NOTE: I don't update there as often as I update my tumblr (see homepage icon).
    basflt wrote:
    Mirror-up is live-view .
    They say that the movement of the mirror causes extra vibration...........
    Mirror-up prevents that

Studying the technical details of photography is on my (long) todo list; I'm embarrassed that I don't know many of the terms used here. I'm guessing that 'live-view' is what displays the image on the LCD screen but I don't know what IS means.

Off to take some shots before work...
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    Very good shots. As others have mentioned the watch is superb .

As for mirror lockup , it is in settings menu . Not solely for live view.
    I always turn "is" off on rare occasions I use tripod , it does make a difference .
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    chaselton wrote: »

Studying the technical details of photography is on my (long) todo list; I'm embarrassed that I don't know many of the terms used here. I'm guessing that 'live-view' is what displays the image on the LCD screen but I don't know what IS means.
    IS = image stabilization , also known as VR = vibration reduction
    it is a switch on the lens
    switch off for tripod , on for hand-held
    IS causes some vibration of its own , so , on tripod its not needed and therefor better off

another tip for when using tripod ;
    use shutter-delay
    set it for two seconds ( is enough to get your hands of of the camera )
    this way , plus the above , and there is no camera-movement anymore during the exposure
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Ugh...early morning maintenance windows are exhausting.

I'm going to try some of these tips now...will post results (if there are any usable) in a separate thread. Most likely tomorrow.
    indefinite objects
    anything can be amazing