My next camera

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited December 7, 2005 in Cameras
So... I have had my Dreb 300D for a year now. I love the thing but am getting to the point where I need to go up a level. After the first of the year im in the market to get a new one. The problem is I just dont want to the XT thing, and Im not sure if I can get into the 20D range. Is there any new models coming down the pipeline that I should wait for?? :scratch
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 7, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    So... I have had my Dreb 300D for a year now. I love the thing but am getting to the point where I need to go up a level. After the first of the year im in the market to get a new one. The problem is I just dont want to the XT thing, and Im not sure if I can get into the 20D range. Is there any new models coming down the pipeline that I should wait for?? headscratch.gif
    what do you need to go "up a level" in? You're question is a little too broad at the moment.

20D and XT are both great cameras and both "better" than the 300D. Do you need a higher frame rate? Do you need more control? Do you need a larger buffer? What's your budget?

There's not a whole lot seperating the 20D and XT, both are 8MP, both have higher frame rates than the 300D, both startup faster, but budget and feel are different. Those last two are solely up to you.

Good luck.

And no, there is no real consensus for what Canon has in the works.
    ne_nau.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Thanks for the reply doc. What I mean is i need a better boot up time and I also think my 300d cant use all the features of my new 430EX flash unit. I was just wondering if there was a new model coming out to replace the XT soon. I mean when I bought my reb I was kicking myself for not waiting 6 months and getting the XT. I think the 20d is outta my range though.. :uhoh
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Sounds like you should be the XT
    Soun
    cwphotos wrote:
    Thanks for the reply doc. What I mean is i need a better boot up time and I also think my 300d cant use all the features of my new 430EX flash unit. I was just wondering if there was a new model coming out to replace the XT soon. I mean when I bought my reb I was kicking myself for not waiting 6 months and getting the XT. I think the 20d is outta my range though.. :uhoh
    The XT has an instant boot up time and can use all the features of the 430EX (i.e. ETTL-II). I would not expect an XT replacement for another year. The 20D replacement may come within the next six months, but will probably be priced higher than the 20D.

So, you could wait for the 20D replacement to come out and hope the 20D prices drop into your range. Or, you could get the XT now, meet your needs, and avoid losing great shooting time to waiting for "the next big thing" that no one can really predict.

Oh, and for what it's worth, in my opinion, Canon is not looking to develop something between the XT and 20D. As it is today, they're almost the same camera.

Hope that's helpful,
    Ben
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:
    Soun The XT has an instant boot up time and can use all the features of the 430EX (i.e. ETTL-II). I would not expect an XT replacement for another year. The 20D replacement may come within the next six months, but will probably be priced higher than the 20D.

So, you could wait for the 20D replacement to come out and hope the 20D prices drop into your range. Or, you could get the XT now, meet your needs, and avoid losing great shooting time to waiting for "the next big thing" that no one can really predict.

Oh, and for what it's worth, in my opinion, Canon is not looking to develop something between the XT and 20D. As it is today, they're almost the same camera.

Hope that's helpful,
    Ben
    wheres the love for the 10D?? it is a rock-solid camera, can use the 430 features *i would know, look at sig.* all around its a fantastic camera and is probably in your range or BELOW it depending on what that is. meaning you could start saving up for another fansastic lense. :)

just my .02
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    I just went from DReb to 20D a couple of weeks ago. The difference in speed is just amazing, the feel is great, I like the controls better. Got mine used here on Dgrin for under $1K. (Thanks again, Jeff!)

With the caveat that I haven't used the XT, to me it was worth spending a few hundred more to get the 20D over the XT. That was my personal decision, but YMMV. Good luck!
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    Out of your range? If you've been using a 300D for quite some time, you're more than ready for a 20D. I thought that the 20D was out of my range too since I was just shooting with a Powershot A80. Boy, was I wrong. I was going to get the 300D, but decided to save up a tad bit longer for the 20D, and it was worth it. The 20D and 350D aren't that much different besides size, weight, and price.

I say go for a 20D. You won't be disappointed, and it will last you a much longer time than the 300D because of all its features.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 7, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    wheres the love for the 10D?? it is a rock-solid camera, can use the 430 features *i would know, look at sig.* all around its a fantastic camera and is probably in your range or BELOW it depending on what that is. meaning you could start saving up for another fansastic lense. :)

just my .02
    If cw hadn't replied that "boot up time" was one of the requirements, I would totally agree with a nice used 10D. But unfortunately, the 10D is definitely not a fast starter. I traded my 10D for the XT. I miss the more solid feel and ergos, but the tradeoffs in speed (startup and frame rate), high ISO performance, and image quality were worth it.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]