Options

Show Us Your New SmugMug Customized Sites!

Comments

• Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2014
    http://travelphotos.everything-everywhere.com/

I did most of this the day the new customization came out. I just haven't posted it here until now.

As well as what the others have said, I did start of my newly revamped site with a background image, with an overlay of links and galleries. But after a short period, it does clash with the eyes and can become distracting. I drastically simplified my way, but you don't have to do that.

You cannot see the middle of your background image, because of your central menu system, and the plethora of colours means it doesn't flow as well as it could, despite all the individual images being fantastic in their own way. Are we missing the main reason of your background image? Should it be something that is very easy/simple - pattern and colourwise?

Just my tuppence worth of thoughts.
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2014
    smondal wrote: »
    I think I am done with my site creation with new smugmug. Though I am using it for a long time, but I was not sure about the design. Finally,. I have felling that I will stop here.

Please let me know how you feel about this design. Please let me know if you there is some obvious scope of improvement, I will do that with you guys help.

Only horizontal scroll bar is disturbing to me, not sure how to deal with that.

my site: www.sudarshanmondal.com

regards,
    sud

Your site layout and design is excellent, and your images outstanding!

What template did you start with?
    Duke
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    smondal wrote: »
    jarboedoggart, thank you - appreciate your feedback, it is really helpful. I agree with your 1st point, I have trouble with English and working on it and now after your feedback I will look at it seriously.
    For point 2, it could be a bug from Smugmug site or I don't know what it is. Even, it is behaving the same way in my screen too when I downsizing the screen, but it settle down after a refresh, it is adjusting as needed.

Do you know if any special setting I need to do for this?

Thanks,
    Sudarshan

Your site is stunning.
    Until you sort out all of the grammar on your site, for English, I suggest one change:
    Incorrect: Exploring what make sense
    Correct: Exploring what makes sense
  • Options
    colincameroncolincameron Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2014
    My new site
    Hi folks, if you have a chance, head over and have a look at my new site that I've been working on;

http://www.colincameronphotography.co.uk/

I'm still in the process of naming and tagging alot of stuff, there is quite a bit of content jammed in there (maybe too much??) and there are probably a bunch of rookie mistakes also. Any comments or advice please hit me ;)

Cheers
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Hi folks, if you have a chance, head over and have a look at my new site that I've been working on;

I'm still in the process of naming and tagging alot of stuff, there is quite a bit of content jammed in there (maybe too much??) and there are probably a bunch of rookie mistakes also. Any comments or advice please hit me ;)

Cheers

I think you should make the width of your site stretchy. It must look OK on your monitor, but here is where your menu and social links are on my computer... (see below)

Other that that, your site is good. The About page is amazing and I couldn't look away from the family pics till I saw them all. Your work is very unique and I certainly poked around in your galleries much longer than I normally would. Keep it up!

i-R2hqqRJ-M.png
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited May 15, 2014
    Overall your site looks good.

There are a couple of things that jumped out at me though. First, your background slideshow on pages other than the homepage sometimes essentially erases your menu bar (because of the background color of some of the images). Overall I find background slideshows distracting anyway - you can't fully see the images in the slideshow since they sit behind the images in the galleries so why not remove it?

The font you have chosen for your logo makes your name look choppy.
    The font you are using for your menu and keywords / descriptions has "holes" in the letters. For example, an F is missing the middle bar. I find that somewhat problematic.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014

Cheers, yeah I see what you mean about the stretchy, I'll need to change that, looks fine on my comps, thanks.

Thanks, I was having second thoughts about the slideshow background, I had to replace it on other pages as you couldnt see text, I guess you've just confirmed my fears. I've used that font for years and it looks nice and sharp in PS but when I put it on the page it looks a little rough. Any tips on saving sharp logos with transparency?
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014
    Hey jarboedoggart, I just had a look at your site, very nice. How do you make a slideshow zoom? I really like that effect
  • Options
    HarmHarm Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Colin, I also noticed that on your homepage, you have your twitter, facebook and youtube icons just floating part way to the right. It looks a little off, as it seems out of place (to me anyhow). Wouldn't it be a little better if it were within the menu system?

As Denise mentioned, the font and logo (perhaps sizewise as well as font style) break up on my screen too, so the words do look a little broken up and distracting. The background slideshow does make your menu disappear from time to time, depending on your image...

background-XL.jpg
  • Options
    jarboedoggartjarboedoggart Registered Users Posts: 270 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2014
    Hey jarboedoggart, I just had a look at your site, very nice. How do you make a slideshow zoom? I really like that effect

Thanks, for my homepage I used the code from this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238292
    -Nate
    Jarboe Doggart Photography - jarboedoggart.com
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2014
    Thanks, for my homepage I used the code from this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238292

Hmm, I'm not to confident with code yet, I take it you just copy and paste it and replace the images, is that about it? Looks great, I think it would work well with my stuff too.
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2014

Colin

Just spent a very amusing 5 mins looking at the slideshow on your 'about me'. I'm a bit miffed at the possibility that you are even more crazy than I am (but I can catch up :D) I particularly liked the shot of the baby in the cooking pot.

The website? Yeah, it's fine. Crazy, but fine. What do they put in the water on Lewis? rolleyes1.gif

I can see you are a very good photographer.
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2014
    Thanks MACROMEISTER ;)
    Good to be a little crazy, sets us apart wings.gif
  • Options
    JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    updated and renovated a few weeks ago....I know not everyone is going to dig it but I like it =) with that being said, I LOOOOVE constructive criticism so please let me know what I am missing or need to change. I kind of feel my drop down menu when selecting galleries is too long so I think I'll change that to somehow shorten up the choices. Love you guys!

http://www.photospaced.com
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    JeffC230 wrote: »
    updated and renovated a few weeks ago....I know not everyone is going to dig it but I like it =) with that being said, I LOOOOVE constructive criticism so please let me know what I am missing or need to change. I kind of feel my drop down menu when selecting galleries is too long so I think I'll change that to somehow shorten up the choices. Love you guys!

I could only look for a second at the home page (pretty color combo)... An odd behavior: When I hover my mouse over the galleries link, the entire background image jerks about 1/8 of an inch to the left. I will see the left edge of the image move further left, and the right edge of the image move left. The banner and menu don't move, and the image only does this hovering over the Galleries link. This behavior is the same in FF 29.0.1 and Chrome. Version 35.0.1916.114 beta-m.

In IE8, which I have to use for work reasons, both the banner with the menu, and the background image, move left, but the left edge stays fixed. To my eye this means there is re-sizing going on for the background image.
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    I could only look for a second at the home page (pretty color combo)... An odd behavior: When I hover my mouse over the galleries link, the entire background image jerks about 1/8 of an inch to the left. I will see the left edge of the image move further left, and the right edge of the image move left. The banner and menu don't move, and the image only does this hovering over the Galleries link. This behavior is the same in FF 29.0.1 and Chrome. Version 35.0.1916.114 beta-m.

In IE8, which I have to use for work reasons, both the banner with the menu, and the background image, move left, but the left edge stays fixed. To my eye this means there is re-sizing going on for the background image.

One other bit: I clicked to visit a gallery and a very large "Must be logged in to comment" sign flashed up briefly, then disappeared. This behavior repeated on every test page I visited.
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014

I can second that the drop down gallery list seems a little too long. Maybe condense some of those galleries together.

On the actual 'Galleries' page I would change it so that you don't have to hover over the pictures to see the name of the gallery. Also the 'Sportsfest' gallery is aligned to the left rather than centre which felt a little off to me.

I like your 'my faves' link. This was the first link i clicked on and I imagine will be for a lot of first time viewers so always make sure you have your best images in there but keep it a short and sweet list :)
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »

That is weird that the images are moving like that.....i'm not entirely sure how to fix it?? any ideas?? I just looked on Chrome (logged off) and IE, but i'm not able able to replicate it. Maybe I need to clear my cache and try fresh.

Also, all of my friends see the comment box that is on the bottom of every gallery page and get mad that they cannot comment so I put "must be logged in". but that box shows up before the images do for some reason for a quick second. Again, I have NO idea how to get that to correct itself haha.
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    Shinrya wrote: »
    I can second that the drop down gallery list seems a little too long. Maybe condense some of those galleries together.

On the actual 'Galleries' page I would change it so that you don't have to hover over the pictures to see the name of the gallery. Also the 'Sportsfest' gallery is aligned to the left rather than centre which felt a little off to me.

I like your 'my faves' link. This was the first link i clicked on and I imagine will be for a lot of first time viewers so always make sure you have your best images in there but keep it a short and sweet list :)

I agree, I think i'll change around the menu a bit....its a bit much.

Thats a good idea on changing the title so you dont have to hover over it. I didnt notice how annoying it is until you pointed it out haha. But the sportsfest one is aligned center, or are you in one of the 3 galleries in there? I just went through them and they are all listed center. please let me know!

I'll shorten up the favs....I slowly add more and more without thinking how many I get in there. I need to keep it sub-10 I think. Agreed?? Thanks for your feedback!
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2014
    That is weird that the images are moving like that.....i'm not entirely sure how to fix it?? any ideas?? I just looked on Chrome (logged off) and IE, but i'm not able able to replicate it. Maybe I need to clear my cache and try fresh.

Also, all of my friends see the comment box that is on the bottom of every gallery page and get mad that they cannot comment so I put "must be logged in". but that box shows up before the images do for some reason for a quick second. Again, I have NO idea how to get that to correct itself haha.

Post these questions on a separate thread for help.
  • Options
    ShinryaShinrya Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    I agree, I think i'll change around the menu a bit....its a bit much.

Thats a good idea on changing the title so you dont have to hover over it. I didnt notice how annoying it is until you pointed it out haha. But the sportsfest one is aligned center, or are you in one of the 3 galleries in there? I just went through them and they are all listed center. please let me know!

I'll shorten up the favs....I slowly add more and more without thinking how many I get in there. I need to keep it sub-10 I think. Agreed?? Thanks for your feedback!

It might just be because of my monitor resolution but it's on this page that the sportsfest link is aligned to the left. http://www.photospaced.com/browse
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited May 20, 2014
    You might rethink your /browse (or galleries) page - right now your menu / logo and galleries header uses more than half of the vertical space on my large monitor. The same is true on your collage landscape-style galleries. Are you trying to showcase your photos or your header?

I'd also recommend you look at your site on different sized devices - many people are viewing from tablets. You can check the behavior on different devices at http://quirktools.com/screenfly.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2014
    You might rethink your /browse (or galleries) page - right now your menu / logo and galleries header uses more than half of the vertical space on my large monitor. The same is true on your collage landscape-style galleries. Are you trying to showcase your photos or your header?

I'd also recommend you look at your site on different sized devices - many people are viewing from tablets. You can check the behavior on different devices at http://quirktools.com/screenfly.

--- Denise

Oh wow, I see what you mean now after going to that site! Thats crazy how big it gets. I'm going to change that up a bit tonight and see what I can come up with. Thanks so much for the link Denise, really helpful!
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
  • Options
    pabloconradpabloconrad Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2014
    Matched my Site And WP blog ...
    Took some time and a bit of creative coding, but, I matched my Worpress site with the feel of my Smug site:

http://www.paulconrad.photography

and

http://blog.paulconrad.photography
    Paul Conrad
    Photojournalist
    Pablo Conrad Photography
    Seattle, WA, USA
    c: 206-450-8632
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    OK... here's my site.

http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/

Love it if you guys would take a gander and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    OK... here's my site.

http://www.alexsotelophotography.com/

Love it if you guys would take a gander and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Alex
    Quick note: I'd give the photo area on your home page a R&L margin same as the photo spacing.
    Photos don't look quite right touching the edges.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Quick note: I'd give the photo area on your home page a R&L margin same as the photo spacing.
    Photos don't look quite right touching the edges.

Check it out now.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Check it out now.
    Looks a lot better with each photo having a complete border.

Your header covers part of every photo I can find. Not one is seen whole. Might remove
    pinning it on galleries. Tried full screen to small browser windows.

Looked at keyword portraits gallery. Part of photo either under bottom of browser, off screen, or
    scrolling up to see photo bottom the top is under the header.
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Looks a lot better with each photo having a complete border.

Your header covers part of every photo I can find. Not one is seen whole. Might remove
    pinning it on galleries. Tried full screen to small browser windows.

Looked at keyword portraits gallery. Part of photo either under bottom of browser, off screen, or
    scrolling up to see photo bottom the top is under the header.

Hmm... I'm not sure I understand. Maybe you looked at some of my none-private galleries that have unlisted? All of my client galleries are setup to display in collage mode, which requires the user to click to display the larger preview. When this happens, the header is not displayed. Just like on my home page.

Can you give me an example of a photo you saw where the header covered the image?

Thanks for looking Allen. Really helps.

Alex

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited May 28, 2014
    Hmm... I'm not sure I understand. Maybe you looked at some of my none-private galleries that have unlisted? All of my client galleries are setup to display in collage mode, which requires the user to click to display the larger preview. When this happens, the header is not displayed. Just like on my home page.

Can you give me an example of a photo you saw where the header covered the image?

Thanks for looking Allen. Really helps.

Alex
    /keyword/portraits
    Might be just the way Smug's default galleries show.