Options

Collage landscape gallery - images constantly resizing

sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited August 21, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Has anyone else noticed this with the collage landscape (and probably portrait, too) galleries? Every time I view a gallery, the size and thus the layout of the pics are slightly different. Maybe this is on purpose? I think I'd prefer it to remain the same each time. I literally just refreshed a gallery several times, and each time the pics were a different size and the number of pics per lines changed. I'd love to hear if this is intentional or not. I think it goes along with the request to be able to control the size of photos in the collage views: http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/4258675-add-the-ability-to-change-the-photo-size-for-the-

Comments

• Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    That's intentional. When you've got a collage elsewhere on the site (the Multiple Photos block), there's an option "vary photo height" which controls this, but in your galleries there are currently no options to control the settings for the collage. Hopefully SmugMug will add settings to customise collages inside galleries.

Even if it didn't intentionally vary the height, you get quite different layouts depending the precise width of the browser window and other factors, so everybody who sees the page will probably see something different.
  • Options
    AperturePlusAperturePlus Registered Users Posts: 374 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Same thing here Sarah. It is slightly different each load. Not sure if it is intentional either.
  • Options
    sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    Even if it didn't intentionally vary the height, you get quite different layouts depending the precise width of the browser widow and other factors, so everybody who sees the page will probably see something different.

I get that. I would just think it would be the same layout if you are on the same browser/computer/etc, and just hitting refresh.

Thanks for the reply though. I guess it definitely is related to the inability to control settings within galleries as you can in other content blocks. Personally, I'd love to be able to make the photos just a smidge bigger (and have them not vary so much). Otherwise, I absolutely love the collage views for galleries. Much more than the traditional smugmug view. It's like looking at a photo album!
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Personally I like the varied sizing. For me it works. You can turn the Vary Photo Height off. It's not at the gallery level. It's at the All Folders Level in the customizer. You open the Galleries Wrench icon. There you can turn Vary Photo Height to off. Of course, this will apply to all your galleries.

I have to admit. I was confused when I started trying to use the customizer. I expect the All Galleries level to be where this control is.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    Personally I like the varied sizing. For me it works. You can turn the Vary Photo Height off. It's not at the gallery level. It's at the All Folders Level in the customizer. You open the Galleries Wrench icon. There you can turn Vary Photo Height to off. Of course, this will apply to all your galleries.

That changes the thumbnails which link to galleries (the Galleries block), it doesn't have any effect on the images inside the gallery themselves, which is what the OP is asking about.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    I noticed the same issue... when hit refresh on my browser sometimes there are three photos in a row, on next refresh there are four. See screenshot. Same browser window, no resizing. I just hit refresh and the layout of collage landscape varies. No problem for me.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    That changes the thumbnails which link to galleries (the Galleries block), it doesn't have any effect on the images inside the gallery themselves, which is what the OP is asking about.

Sorry. It was late and I was tired.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2013
    as others have said, some layouts look better than others, esp, eg if it ends up being a grid, like the left hand image on phaserbeam's post, rather than 'bricks on a wall', where there are no vertical lines across rows. I'm not sure how this is implemented, I would have thought it was more effort to make it different each time,than to have the same behaviour.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I would have thought it was more effort to make it different each time,than to have the same behaviour.

Indeed it is. It is intentional variation caused by the "vary height" option being turned on by default. But we cannot turn this option off ourselves in the gallery settings, only when we use Collage Landscape inside e.g. multiple photos blocks.