Options

Make Gallery Description Box strech wide, as well as down

guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited November 9, 2015 in SmugMug Feature Requests
The new gallery description box is ridiculously small & impossible to work in if you are writing a gallery description of more than a few words. Please add something like a text editor box or window that will allow people to easily enter longer gallery descriptions without have to write them in another program then copy & paste them across.

Comments

• Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Another request for this please (I was about to start a new thread when I saw this). Also can you do this for the photo captions and if this can be done inline rather than popping out a separate box that would be fantastic. Thanks
  • Options
    kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    +1 to both of these. Bigger and more easily accessible editing options for gallery and image captions and titles.
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2013
  • Options
    James LyallJames Lyall Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    guy wrote: »
    The new gallery description box is ridiculously small & impossible to work in if you are writing a gallery description of more than a few words. Please add something like a text editor box or window that will allow people to easily enter longer gallery descriptions without have to write them in another program then copy & paste them across.
    I second that. On my legacy site, for some of the galleries, I have several paragraphs of description. Sandbox shows these overlaid with the gallery thumbnails.
    PLEASE incorporate a gallery description box into the new SmugMug which reflects the properties that we had on the legacy site.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited August 23, 2013
    Please add something like a text editor box or window that will allow people to easily enter longer gallery descriptions without have to write them in another program then copy & paste them across.
    The gallery description box is supposed to be stretchable. I've found that I can stretch it (by grabbing the lower right corner and pulling) in Firefox but not in IE or Chrome, bug report filed here. Based on comments from other people this odd behavior doesn't seem to be consistently present so you may be OK with stretching the description box in your environments.

I've learned to use Firefox when I want to enter gallery descriptions.

--- Denise
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    The gallery description box is supposed to be stretchable. I've found that I can stretch it (by grabbing the lower right corner and pulling) in Firefox but not in IE or Chrome, bug report filed here. Based on comments from other people this odd behavior doesn't seem to be consistently present so you may be OK with stretching the description box in your environments.

I've learned to use Firefox when I want to enter gallery descriptions.

--- Denise
    I use Firefox and the box stretches down but not out. Works OK for me but it would be nice if it also stretched out. Funny thing is the caption box stretches down and out giving plenty of room.

Paul
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    One solution I found to this issue was to create extra text blocks on the specific gallery. I made an experimental gallery the other day, just to see what can be done. I also added a YouTube clip. I'm thinking that I now can do a lot of other stuff as well. I have to see what happens when I make larger changes, and how it affects my "canary in the cave" experimental gallery. Doing it the way I did, it says it's now separated from the rest of the site. I'm not sure of the full implications of that.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    The new gallery description box is ridiculously small & impossible to work in
    Ditto the keywords box! thumb.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2013
    Ditto the keywords box! thumb.gif

Hi there, the keyword box does expand wide as well...at least it does for me on Chrome.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2013
    FEEDBACK area is useless right now. Limited number of issues you can vote on per person because you have a finite number of votes to use. Too many issues to be limiting our voting rights. Remove the voting limitation.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    The only limit on voting should be only one vote allow on each.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I'd vote for that.

But only once.

:D
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    Should'a added,
    But being able to vote on as many as you like.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2013
    +1 What Allen said in his last two posts!
  • Options
    youngturkyoungturk Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2015
  • Options
    youngturkyoungturk Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 8, 2015
    I completely agree with the purpose of this thread. Editing the Description field in a gallery was difficult enough in the previous Smugmug, now it is ridiculously difficult if not impossible to do. There is so much space on the screen, why make the edit field so short and narrow? Also, it would be VERY helpful if we didn't have to stretch the field every time we opened the Gallery Settings i.e. if the expanded field would stay expanded. The BEST SOLUTION would be to edit the Description field in Customize > Content and Design. Why is it that we can't edit the CONTENT of gallery in that screen?
  • Options
    leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 9, 2015
    youngturk wrote: »
    The BEST SOLUTION would be to edit the Description field in Customize > Content and Design. Why is it that we can't edit the CONTENT of gallery in that screen?

I think the best solution would be to just click on the Gallery Description while you're viewing the gallery, and edit it in-line, without having to open Gallery Settings or the Customizer. The Customizer is a bad place for it because that's where you add/remove the content BLOCKS (or widgets) and configure how they look. We also want to avoid any confusion of having several places to edit the description. Lastly, it's always lived in Gallery Settings, so we kept it there to avoid confusion for everyone who has grown up knowing where to edit it.

Inline editing of the gallery description is a great feature request, as is making the text box in the gallery settings larger.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2015
    Gallery settings is the best place as it allows us to fill when creating the gallery.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Inline editing of the gallery description is a great feature request

It feels great and hurts at the same time when smugmug realizes somethng they took away with new smug would be a great feature to add. The removal of all inline editing was pure insanity and would have driven me away from smugmug. Bringing back inline editing for captions and keywords was critical, but I have no idea why gallery descriptions never made the cut. Can't wait for smugmug to "invent" bulk caption/keyword editing. :D

Dave
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2015
    pilotdave wrote: »
    ....Can't wait for smugmug to "invent" bulk caption/keyword editing. :D

Dave
    This can't be beat.
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=247592
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2015

Oh, I know. Pretty ridiculous there's a need for it, isn't it?

Dave