Deviating background image for Home Page and all others

BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 5, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
In the theme editing menu you can specify that you want the selected background image to appear on the home page only.

In addition, I would like to be able to specify an alternate background image (like a subtle texture) to be applied to all pages that are NOT the home page.

This would allow me to use a single theme applied site-wide.

Thank you.

Comments

• paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I'd take that a step further and suggest a decoupling of theme, which controls sidebars, colour of sidebars, headers, footers and all manner of other bits, from the background image.

I'd love to have a different background image on each gallery, but it would make my site difficult to maintain as it stands.
  • guyguy Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'd take that a step further and suggest a decoupling of theme, which controls sidebars, colour of sidebars, headers, footers and all manner of other bits, from the background image.

I'd love to have a different background image on each gallery, but it would make my site difficult to maintain as it stands.

Same Here.
    edited August 5, 2013
    How to do it with CSS:

body {
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-image: url (http://YOURBACKGROUNDIMAGE.jpg};
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center;
    background-size: cover;
    }

Obvs might have to adjust parameters to match the rest of your site.
  • BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    How to do it with CSS:

body {
    background-attachment: fixed;
    background-image: url (http://YOURBACKGROUNDIMAGE.jpg};
    background-repeat: no-repeat;
    background-position: center;
    background-size: cover;
    }

Obvs might have to adjust parameters to match the rest of your site.

Interesting. Thank you. So would I have to create a separate theme for the pages that I want to have the custom background and then I would add this into the custom CSS for that theme? Or is there a way to specify what pages this CSS gets applied to and use a single theme?
  • BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    or would I add a CSS box to the home page and add that code into there, specifying the source for the background image?
    edited August 5, 2013
    BrianJA wrote: »
    Interesting. Thank you. So would I have to create a separate theme for the pages that I want to have the custom background and then I would add this into the custom CSS for that theme? Or is there a way to specify what pages this CSS gets applied to and use a single theme?

You can have the same theme on all pages, but then hit "make this gallery custom" and then add a CSS box onto each gallery, I guess the downside is that future "entire site"/all galleries" design changes won't propagate down.

So either we'd have to manually copy over changes to the theme, or we'd have to manually copy over changes to All Galleries customization.

I prefer the CSS way, for my main galleries I'll be having individual gallery customisation anyway, and themes are a pain to recreate each time, whereas the CSS only needs one line changing per gallery.

Neither way is ideal though!