Options

Client Gallery Issue

TheBradfordTheBradford Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited September 2, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I have a client's section on my page.

My new pages is based on "SIERRA"

Browse I have renamed to galleries but I want to have a separate clients section like how my legacy page has where clients click - they are prompted to type in either the gallery name or password etc and then it brigns them there.

Currently my client folder shows up in my galleries section - I don't want this to show here.
When someone click's "Clients" on my homepage on my new page, it just brings them into the folder automatically without any prompt and everyone can see everything in there. How do I change that?

Would it be best for me to go live first and then have this resolved as I don't think heros can "play in my sandbox" or see anything right?
Bradford

Comments

• Options
    pipercreekphotographypipercreekphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I have a client's section on my page.

My new pages is based on "SIERRA"

Browse I have renamed to galleries but I want to have a separate clients section like how my legacy page has where clients click - they are prompted to type in either the gallery name or password etc and then it brigns them there.

Currently my client folder shows up in my galleries section - I don't want this to show here.
    When someone click's "Clients" on my homepage on my new page, it just brings them into the folder automatically without any prompt and everyone can see everything in there. How do I change that?

Would it be best for me to go live first and then have this resolved as I don't think heros can "play in my sandbox" or see anything right?

This is something I had already posted about. It looks like javascript which is the answer is not being supported at this time...and according to an email I received from one of the "hero's" not likely to be supported in the future. I am hopefully that one of our great coders will be able to find a work around for this. I too do not want other clients being able to see galleries that belong to other clients. It's just unprofessional in my opinion.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    There needs to be
    This is something I had already posted about. It looks like javascript which is the answer is not being supported at this time...and according to an email I received from one of the "hero's" not likely to be supported in the future. I am hopefully that one of our great coders will be able to find a work around for this. I too do not want other clients being able to see galleries that belong to other clients. It's just unprofessional in my opinion.

Agreed - if there is no Javascript in the new SM, then IMO this puts it back on the Heroes to get this fixed or build a special clients section or something into the New SmugMug UI because a major selling point to me to go with SM in the first place (and I'm sure for many others) was having a clients section like that available. This will be a serious killer to the New SmugMug if there is no longer the ability to isolate and "privatize" the clients area.
    Bradford

edited August 5, 2013
    Hopefully, enough of us will raise hell to the point that SM will get the "picture" and give us the tools we need. I hate to see a good product go down, just because they wanted to make galleries look nice. Sure we all want amazing galleries and websites. But without exclusive features like client login, what's the point. It just makes our websites, our business' looking unprofessional. I think all photographers need to hit this point home to SM and to the hero's. I know they spent a lot of time, energy and brain power developing the new UI and system but come on!!!
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    yes - what would be the best professional way to raise hell is my question now.
    Bradford

edited August 5, 2013
    yes - what would be the best professional way to raise hell is my question now.

Maybe starting a new thread...asking all SM customers who wants javascript back?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I had the same setup. Although the new Smug doesn't support EXACTLY the same feature, it does get you 98% there.

Check out my new site. I setup a new page named "Clients". I set it up so it's password protected. From my nav bar, if you click CLIENTS, you're prompted with this first password.

Within the CLIENTS page are my clients' password protected galleries. Clients can then select their gallery and can only access it with their unique password.

The only functionality missing is that clients have to take this extra step of hitting the Clients page and then selecting their gallery. I personally don't think it's a loss. I still get the same level of protection on my client galleries where the general public hitting my page can see my client list/galleries.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I had the same setup. Although the new Smug doesn't support EXACTLY the same feature, it does get you 98% there.

Check out my new site. I setup a new page named "Clients". I set it up so it's password protected. From my nav bar, if you click CLIENTS, you're prompted with this first password.

Within the CLIENTS page are my clients' password protected galleries. Clients can then select their gallery and can only access it with their unique password.

The only functionality missing is that clients have to take this extra step of hitting the Clients page and then selecting their gallery. I personally don't think it's a loss. I still get the same level of protection on my client galleries where the general public hitting my page can see my client list/galleries.

It doesn't get you 98% there. Maybe 2% :) Do you think it matters who sees ALL of your client's galleries - general public or only other clients? It matters not. It is highly unprofessional to expose a list (galleries) of your (or mine, or his...) clients to anyone. My dissatisfaction is not with you or with your website - my dissatisfaction is with Smugmug handling this situation and holding so many customers hostage at this point.

I get it that SM does not want javascript. Hey, I hate javascript too! I think javascript in webpages is evil. Take javascript away, kill it. But provide freaking password pass-through function that will take a user straight to the the Folder or album by redirecting to the source on the freaking server! This functionality has been working in Zenfolio for years. And take the "100 Customization" off your front page while you are at it. At least it would be an honest thing to do.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I think this could be implemented on the current SmugMug by using my server to help out with redirecting clients to the right page.

For example, I could give you the code for a form to add to your page that would allow the client to enter their name, then they could be sent to a gallery of your choosing where you could additionally prompt them for a password. The client galleries themselves would be set to private so people couldn't just browse your whole client list.

Would that suit you guys?
  • Options
    GuthriePhotographyGuthriePhotography Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    I think this could be implemented on the current SmugMug by using my server to help out with redirecting clients to the right page.

For example, I could give you the code for a form to add to your page that would allow the client to enter their name, then they could be sent to a gallery of your choosing where you could additionally prompt them for a password. The client galleries themselves would be set to private so people couldn't just browse your whole client list.

I would be interested.
  • Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hey all - we'll be struggling with the same issue but as yet have not had the time to experiment, however a suggestion.

Anonymouscuban's approach I like, but have you tried putting the client work/proofing areas in HIDDEN folders - also password protected ( as per anonymouscuban's) - and provide your Clients with a direct link the the hidden gallery/folder/container/space-dock (whatever term we're now calling it (!!) ?

Would that alleviate the issue of all Clients seeing other Clients work?

That being said, if you changed your Clients page to a selection of work you've done for Clients, then you have the ability to cross-expose your work a bit too (of course, you would now remove direct gallery links from your current Clients gallery/space-dock.

Just a suggestion - hope that helps?
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Okay, I think I've got it working now, here's the details:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Client-login-system

I've PMed you with a username and password to use, GuthriePhotography.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    It doesn't get you 98% there. Maybe 2% :) This functionality has been working in Zenfolio for years.

I think you found the solution to your own problem in the quote above. thumb.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    GuthriePhotographyGuthriePhotography Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013

I have this now and it works like a charm.:ivar I will be unveiling my new smugmug soon
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hey just to let you know, if the galleries you're linking to aren't set to Unlisted and have no password set, they can actually be found by visitors on your SmugMug site without entering a username (for example, by browsing your Recent Photos, searching for a keyword, or using the date search feature). So be sure to set them to Unlisted even if they don't appear in your navigation menus.
  • Options
    pipercreekphotographypipercreekphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hey just to let you know, if the galleries you're linking to aren't set to Unlisted and have no password set, they can actually be found by visitors on your SmugMug site without entering a username (for example, by browsing your Recent Photos, searching for a keyword, or using the date search feature). So be sure to set them to Unlisted even if they don't appear in your navigation menus.

Lamah,
    It works great!!!! THANK YOU!
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Okay, I think I've got it working now, here's the details:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/Client-login-system

I've PMed you with a username and password to use, GuthriePhotography.

This is way to complicated for someone like me who knows nothing about coding.

The first option by Anonymouscuban I am also struggling to figure out how to make work properly too.

For someone like me who knows nothing about JavaScript beyond it being a huge pain in the ass, I don't understand how difficult applying something like this would be and how silly the developers were to completely neglect such a feature in the first place.

If someone figures out a solution or proposes an option of the best way of bringing this to the head brass of SM for immediate attention that's what I am looking for.
    Bradford

edited August 7, 2013
    This is way to complicated for someone like me who knows nothing about coding.

The first option by Anonymouscuban I am also struggling to figure out how to make work properly too.

For someone like me who knows nothing about JavaScript beyond it being a huge pain in the ass, I don't understand how difficult applying something like this would be and how silly the developers were to completely neglect such a feature in the first place.

If someone figures out a solution or proposes an option of the best way of bringing this to the head brass of SM for immediate attention that's what I am looking for.

Hello,

My way is quite simple. It requires ZERO code. If you need help, you're welcome to PM or make a thread and then PM me the link. Either way, I can post some screen shots with the process.

Alex

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    some screen shots would definitely be helpful as I did what you said and it just loaded an empty gallery inside clients (even though there were unlisted galleries in there, nothing shows)
    Bradford

edited September 2, 2013