Options

A "Galleries Page" That Shows ALL Galleries and then Links. Is this possible?

LeftAtAlbuquerqueLeftAtAlbuquerque Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 7, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I'm trying to create a page for "GALLERIES" that would include a feature image from each gallery, that would then link to that specific gallery.

Here is how I am trying to do it........ Customize Site > On Entire Site > Menus > Links > Galleries > Link To > Page I Choose >

And this is where the problem lies. I choose a gallery, and I just get all the photos from that one gallery, and I can't add another gallery.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Sue

www.leftatalbuquerque.com

Comments

• Options
    sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I think the option you want (if I understand your request) is a Gallery Content Block, with the setting "Select From" set to "Galleries I Choose". THen, you go through and pick the galleries you want to show (they only show up in the order you choose them, so choose carefully!). Or, you could set the "Select From" to "Folder" and then choose a folder of galleries to display. Does that help at all?
  • Options
    TomRoperTomRoper Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Once you make your page, customize it by putting in a single photo and make the link action to go to the gallery. Repeat as needed.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Okay I'm lost. I can't figure out how to add a gallery content block on the Galleries page. Do I use Organize? Or customize?
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    It would be in the Customize mode, the Add Content Block area of the toolbar has categories to expand, Galleries is under Navigation. Once you drag the container onto your page then you can change a variety of settings by using the little triangle ruler icon (for margins and width) and the wrench icon (other important settings).
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    That makes sense. I am in the add content block > galleries but the only place it looks like I can drag it to is my homepage. I do have a page set up for Galleries... But I can't figure out how to drag it there?
    aschendel wrote: »
    It would be in the Customize mode, the Add Content Block area of the toolbar has categories to expand, Galleries is under Navigation. Once you drag the container onto your page then you can change a variety of settings by using the little triangle ruler icon (for margins and width) and the wrench icon (other important settings).
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Ah, right, there are a couple of ways to get to the page you want to modify, but neither are particularly logical. If you get out of the customize mode and then navigate to the galleries page (assuming you have a link to it somewhere - like in your nav bar) and then click Customize | Customize Site it will drop you into the customizer with Just This Page selected in the upper area. The other way to do it is to go into the organizer and click on your custom page on the left panel, then click the link in the right panel to navigate to the page. Then from there you click Customize | Customize Site and again it will drop you into the customizer with Just This Page selected in the upper area.

i-dSGdrrb-M.jpg

i-6Tpcp9K-M.jpg

i-3V8mB26-L.jpg

Hth,

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Yay! I figured it out finally! I had to create another new page, I titled it Portfolio Galleries, and then linked the Galleries Page to that. Then I had to individually add single photos for each gallery that would then link to the specific gallery (I'm now here's near done and it's taking me a really long time). I've designed a few websites over the last few years, and this is definitely the most obtuse way of adding photos I've ever seen!

So now I have a crazy looking gallery page. Even though I specified Medium as the size for each photo, they seem to have a mind of their own. Any ideas how to fix this?

aschendel wrote: »
    Ah, right, there are a couple of ways to get to the page you want to modify, but neither are particularly logical. If you get out of the customize mode and then navigate to the galleries page (assuming you have a link to it somewhere - like in your nav bar) and then click Customize | Customize Site it will drop you into the customizer with Just This Page selected in the upper area. The other way to do it is to go into the organizer and click on your custom page on the left panel, then click the link in the right panel to navigate to the page. Then from there you click Customize | Customize Site and again it will drop you into the customizer with Just This Page selected in the upper area.

i-dSGdrrb-M.jpg

i-6Tpcp9K-M.jpg

i-3V8mB26-L.jpg

Hth,

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Oops, sorry that was upside down. I took a screenshot with mu iPad, lol:D
  • Options
    sylviasylvia Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Yay! I figured it out finally! I had to create another new page, I titled it Portfolio Galleries, and then linked the Galleries Page to that. Then I had to individually add single photos for each gallery that would then link to the specific gallery (I'm now here's near done and it's taking me a really long time). I've designed a few websites over the last few years, and this is definitely the most obtuse way of adding photos I've ever seen!

So now I have a crazy looking gallery page. Even though I specified Medium as the size for each photo, they seem to have a mind of their own. Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm not one who designs sites, just one who uses them :-). But I think I did it in a much simpler way and acheived what you want. I'll try to explain how I did it.

First I went in to Organize site and created a new folder and titled it galleries. Then I dragged and dropped all my top level folders into that new folder (I wanted everything to be organized in folders/subfolders, etc. - but I think if you wanted just all galleries, you could just drag all of your galleries into that new folder the same way.) Then I hit done, and went into the customize site. There I went to all folders, and dragged and dropped the new folder I had created into the content block. That gave me a page with all of my folders, with the first photo in the gallery set as feature photo. I then changed to entire site, and created a link for this, titled galleries. I hit publish now. Then I went to each gallery and chose gallery settings, then set the featured photo I wanted for each gallery (I also did this for each folder). It only took me maybe 30 to 40 minutes total. And everything is lined up properly, and the bread crumbs are correct so that it is easy to navigate back and forth. Or at least I think so...I hope others will find that to be true.

Sorry if that is not completely clear...I'm just a very limited user...I don't have a lot of knowledge, but just do things the easy way :-). Perhaps you were wanting something more customized, in which case I'm not the one to help.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    sylvia wrote: »
    I'm not one who designs sites, just one who uses them :-). But I think I did it in a much simpler way and acheived what you want. I'll try to explain how I did it.

First I went in to Organize site and created a new folder and titled it galleries. Then I dragged and dropped all my top level folders into that new folder (I wanted everything to be organized in folders/subfolders, etc. - but I think if you wanted just all galleries, you could just drag all of your galleries into that new folder the same way.) Then I hit done, and went into the customize site. There I went to all folders, and dragged and dropped the new folder I had created into the content block. That gave me a page with all of my folders, with the first photo in the gallery set as feature photo. I then changed to entire site, and created a link for this, titled galleries. I hit publish now. Then I went to each gallery and chose gallery settings, then set the featured photo I wanted for each gallery (I also did this for each folder). It only took me maybe 30 to 40 minutes total. And everything is lined up properly, and the bread crumbs are correct so that it is easy to navigate back and forth. Or at least I think so...I hope others will find that to be true.

Sorry if that is not completely clear...I'm just a very limited user...I don't have a lot of knowledge, but just do things the easy way :-). Perhaps you were wanting something more customized, in which case I'm not the one to help.

One more thing I forgot: While in customize site, on all photos, click the wrench-edit icon on the content block where you dropped all the folders/galleries. Then you can select layout, image size, aspect ratio etc. I also deleted the title because I didn't want that showing for aesthetics - looked cleaner without that.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Sylvia, I am going to try this in the morning when I can think clearly. Sounds like the difference here is that you used a folder, while I used a page. Now here is my question.... When you dragged and dropped the folder, did it automatically create the page for you? Or did you physically have to create it?

Anyway, I looked at your site, and that's exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

What is photo #5 on the bugs and moths page?
    Sue

sylvia wrote: »

• Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Sylvia, I am going to try this in the morning when I can think clearly. Sounds like the difference here is that you used a folder, while I used a page. Now here is my question.... When you dragged and dropped the folder, did it automatically create the page for you? Or did you physically have to create it?

Anyway, I looked at your site, and that's exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

What is photo #5 on the bugs and moths page?
    Sue

Sue...I'm not totally sure I understand what you are asking. Maybe someone else can answer with the correct technical answer. But this is what I did: I just clicked the all folders, and there was already a content block and I just dragged the folder there and then went to the edit and changed the size, ratio, etc, and then created the link with the URL http://sojournerphoto.smugmug.com/Galleries. Then hit done & publish now, and that made the "page?" for me. I then worked from that "page" to go to each folder & gallery to set the featured photo.

I'm just an uniformed tinkerer with great curiosity who wonders, "what's this? and what does it do?" and then plays with it. I don't really know all the technical jargon or correct stuff. But it worked :-).

OH, and that is a cicada. I don't know what kind...but it's one found in Texas. We have the same ones here in China too.