Cyclocross in the northwest...

jrykowskijrykowski Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited December 16, 2005 in Sports
Got invited by sponsor of local cyclocross event to come and do the event photography. Was quite a lot of fun actually!

As a mountain biker though, these guys on "road bikes" riding in the mud... I dunno..

Here's a cool shot from the event:
47053348-M.jpg

I got lots more that I put in my "Photographers Pick" gallery for the event (if yer interested in others I took).

Comments

• JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Wow! eek7.gif I gotta know... did he wipe out just after you tripped the shutter? Looks like he should!
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    Gotta love this one. I'd like to see more.
    If not now, when?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 8, 2005
    Very nice.

Riding mountain bikes is easy compared to what these guys slog through :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited December 8, 2005
    Good capture that.
    JCDoss wrote:
    Wow! eek7.gif I gotta know... did he wipe out just after you tripped the shutter? Looks like he should!
    Had to. He's already off the saddle, and his left arm and hand are out for a (wet) landing and he's beyond the 45º angle. Some days are like that.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Definitley looks like he ate it right after you took the photo, mountain bikes are fun, but I'll stick to BMX. Nice photo though.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • jrykowskijrykowski Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    JCDoss wrote:
    Oh yeah.. he landed in the mud. But actually wasn't as spectacular of a splash as you'd think. I have the next two photos also immediately following the one shown above.

They start here in the gallery (Pringle Creek cyclocross race for Masters 35+, Junior Men):
    http://itzphoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1014614/8/47186304

As you can see, he just kinda "plopped" down into the mud.

It just looks in the first photo in sequence like he's carrying quite a lot of speed, but at that point they aren't going very fast.. his bike just sorta slipped out from under him. But, hey, the photo looks awesome! There are other great moments captured like this one.. me and the 2nd photographer took more than 2,500 pictures that day. Lighting was excellent, and even though the forecast had called for it - there was no rain. Can't ask for a better day to shoot an event in the Fall in the Northwest!

Glad everyone enjoyed this pic. At some point it'll be featured on the teams website at http://www.halffastvelo.com/ - the webmaster had already requested permission to use it.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    jrykowski wrote:
    As a mountain biker though, these guys on "road bikes" riding in the mud... I dunno..

Here's a cool shot from the event:
    47053348-M.jpg
    Cyclcross Rulz. You don't know what you're missing with your cushy mountain bike. Cross is where its at.
    nod.gif

But that guy in the photo, he ain't no cyclocrosser, at least, no hardcore Northeast cyclocrosser would be caught dead with flat bars! I think thats called a "hybrid"...
    lol3.gif

those are some great shots though, and a cool looking course!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• jrykowskijrykowski Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But that guy in the photo, he ain't no cyclocrosser, at least, no hardcore Northeast cyclocrosser would be caught dead with flat bars! I think thats called a "hybrid"...
    lol3.gif

those are some great shots though, and a cool looking course!
    Good eye. yeah, the event was open to all types of bikes (even mountain bikes - although course was designed for the true 'cross bikers in mind).

Besides the fact this was the first 'cross event I photographed, this was also first time the race organizers had race at this venue. It turned out nicely, I think they'll use that course again next year - or until the housing development that's supposed to be getting constructed on that land finally takes off...