Options

uploading problems

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited December 7, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Im having problems uploading. Uploaded a single picture fine, but I just tried a batch of 50 or so and I got this error message:

XUpload Error
Sending information to the server failed with error code 12031. Uploading has been aborted.

Would this be related to the problems yesterday with uploading?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    willjoe86 wrote:
    Im having problems uploading. Uploaded a single picture fine, but I just tried a batch of 50 or so and I got this error message:

XUpload Error
    Sending information to the server failed with error code 12031. Uploading has been aborted.

Would this be related to the problems yesterday with uploading?
    Thanks!

Hi Will,

Ouch - sorry you're having this nasty problem! No, I'm afraid this is a known PC problem --- see our help files:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/problems
    These not-very-informative Windows error codes are rare, but they officially mean "The connection with the server has been aborted" (12030) and "The connection with the server has been reset" (12031).

Microsoft has little to say about them, but we have found from experience that they can be related to:

1. Security software such as Zone Alarm, Norton Antivirus, and McAfee Privacy Service. You might try turning them off and trying again.

2. You are behind a firewall or proxy that interferes with uploading photos. Occassionally, we have seen companies block outward-bound images from their networks.

3. A network connection that loses connection temporarily in the middle of your upload. You might try smaller uploads.

These problems are rare enough, you'll almost certainly notice that this problem will not occur on a different computer connected to a different network.

Better yet, if you have Windows XP, try Send to smugmug, which allows unlimited uploads/batch and has very robust error correction.

Try these things and let us know, ok? We can help you further after you've tried these steps.

All the best,
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2005
    BTW, did you try the Universal Drag and Drop? ear.gif
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 7, 2005
    Thanks Andy
    No, I used the IE uploader. I'll try those steps and see if it works