Options

Thoughts on Smugmug

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited August 6, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
First, I'm still on the fence about the new platform. The gallery views are definitely improved. I may wait until they sort out some bugs first. In looking at the new SmugMug, however, I really feel they are catering almost exclusively towards their main client base, ie those who are "sharing photos." Pros and those who use the site to run our business have a different idea in mind. We want to sell prints! I get how this new design "lets your photos take center stage," but really pros want to present their portfolio in such a way that customers will want to buy a large print and hang it on their wall. I have moved my print sales over to Photoshelter. Why? Two reasons. 1. Its nice that we can add our logo to the shopping cart and all, but during the checkout process the next page is a SmugMug page with that creepy green smile and "SmugMug." It just doesn't reflect what a professional photographer is trying to present. Photoshelter has an unbranded cart which looks much more professional. 2. Smugmug really needs to allow self-fulfillment on orders. Those who have any experience with printing and selling large photos know that an optimal print comes from an Adobe RGB tiff file, specifically sharpened for the size printed. If I fulfill my own orders, I can do this, and drop ship to the customer. Currently, a customer would be paying several hundred dollars for a 30x40 print that is made from an non-upsized jpg in sRGP. Its just not optimal. It would be easy for smugmug to add this function to their shopping cart, and either handle the payment themselves, or allow PayPal integration. So bottom line is, I hope Smugmug doesnt lose site of the pros as a segment of their business model, whose needs may be very different from the customer who is looking to share family photos. I plan on sticking around for now, but hope some changes are made soon.