Options

navigate / get to custom pages, folders etc in customize mode

aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
edited January 5, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it is a bit clumsy to have to do Done | Publish -> navigate to another page Customize | Customize Site to go from "Just This Page" to a different "Just This Page"... It would be great if in Customize mode there was a way to either naturally navigate the site or show a list of all pages, custom folders, and custom galleries that we could click on -- in the same way as we click on All Folders, etc.

Thanks!

Andy

Comments

• Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it is a bit clumsy to have to do Done | Publish -> navigate to another page Customize | Customize Site to go from "Just This Page" to a different "Just This Page"... It would be great if in Customize mode there was a way to either naturally navigate the site or show a list of all pages, custom folders, and custom galleries that we could click on -- in the same way as we click on All Folders, etc.

Thanks!

Andy

Yes, I've also found it clumsy and it seems needlessly time-consuming.
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Yes, that would be nice...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I'm now at a point where this missing feature (navigate and select folders/galleries/pages in customize mode) becomes pretty annoying: When you work on a new design.

I have a design customized so it fits my needs... and i have unveiled already.

Now i started to play with a second design. It's a known bug that you will always drop back to the current design if you select preview while working on the new design. Only solution: DONE / PUBLISH LATER / CUSTOMIZE / CHOOSE A NEW SITE DESIGN and select the new design to continue customize it.

Now i'm at a point where i want to change the look of a few pages/galleries that i had made custom in my current/published design by choosing a individual gallery style or content. And i don't see an easy way to do that since i can't select the page/gallery that i want to make custom for the new design.

PLEASE add a navigation bar/drop down menu to let the user select a page/gallery while in customize mode. Otherwise users can't create a site with custom pages/galleries without publish the not yet ready design.
  • Options
    billwbillw Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    PLEASE add a navigation bar/drop down menu to let the user select a page/gallery while in customize mode. Otherwise users can't create a site with custom pages/galleries without publish the not yet ready design.
    +10,000 !

I thought I had brought this up in another thread, but I can't find it now, so adding my votes here.
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but it is a bit clumsy to have to do Done | Publish -> navigate to another page Customize | Customize Site to go from "Just This Page" to a different "Just This Page"...

Any news on this one?

I'm currently trying to edit a new design and i have some custom pages that need to be tweaked to match the new design. Currently i do not see any way to edit these pages without publish the not yet finished new design.

A navigation drop-down menu to open all available folders/galleries/pages from inside the customizer might be really helpful!
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    I'm currently trying to edit a new design and i have some custom pages that need to be tweaked to match the new design. Currently i do not see any way to edit these pages without publish the not yet finished new design.
    That's why I requested a post-unveil sandbox: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238942
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    whatever you call it... i don't need to "work" with my design so i do not really need a sandbox. Would be nice to have but there should be at least a way to edit every page of a site when you are in customizer mode.

When you are working on your current design you can always use the URL#customize-trick to go to a specific page. When you are working on a new design that "trick" will bring you back to what is currently published. Maybe the URL-trick will work here too but in a different way. That would be at least a workaround so i can edit all pages matching the new design.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2013
    If you need to get to custom pages, folders etc while in customize mode... use bookmarks.

I called the helpdesk because of a "bug" (i'm sure SM doesn't call this a bug) and a workaround is to use bookmarks. If someone has the same problems as the TO then maybe you want to have a look here.
  • Options
    CharlyCharly Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2014
    If you need to get to custom pages, folders etc while in customize mode... use bookmarks.

I called the helpdesk because of a "bug" (i'm sure SM doesn't call this a bug) and a workaround is to use bookmarks. If someone has the same problems as the TO then maybe you want to have a look here.

Though I commend your workaround, SM should of known better. The time I take customizing, publishing over and over and over and over again is insane! I should be able to work on any part of my site while in Customize Site; galleries, pages, etc. w/o spending the time to find what I want to customize, then handle that and publish.

This problem especially adds time to my workflow when I should be in and out after customizing "everything" I want to on my site in one shot; not a gozillion times for every little tweak!
    www.ImagerybyCharly.com | Serving the DFW area of Texas and beyond
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2014
    I also don't know why they do not simply add a drop-down menu where i can choose the page i want to customize. The bookmark-trick is something similar to the drop-down box. I also can make changes to one page, open a bookmark for some other page and then switch back to the first page using bookmarks again and the changes i made are still there.