Options

I am lost....

MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
edited August 8, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Completely. It always takes me forever to wrap my head around changes.

Is there a link to information for #1 how to get started customizing Turbo?

Please?

So lost...
www.auphoto.net

Thanks
Michelle

Comments

• Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    MRudland wrote: »
    Completely. It always takes me forever to wrap my head around changes.

Is there a link to information for #1 how to get started customizing Turbo?

Please?

So lost...
    www.auphoto.net

Thanks
    Michelle

Ditto!! Ditto!! Ditto!
    Am I missing something? I'm surprised there isn't a sticky that says something like customizing new smugmug, start here.
  • Options
    MRudlandMRudland Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    How do I get mine to look like this one? I don't even know what template to use?

http://clients.jessicaqphotography.com
  • Options
    canderson1229canderson1229 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I have to agree. I'm pretty tech savy but it does have me stumped. And the major problem is I don't know what questions to ask to make sense of it lol.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    I think a lot of "real pro photographers" don't like all of the changes, as the update makes it easy enough to do some interesting template things but at the same time changed everything that they've invested so much in. I personally am pretty excited - it's a sweet place to start and I hope the update positions SM well to provide us even more awesomeness than we used to be able to have. In fact, Zenfolio won my personal feature-for-feature comparison, but I felt that (a few months ago), SM would be the right place to be if they ever pushed out an update so I went with SM.

Anyhow, a lot of the customization challenges stem from either unique organizations of folders / images, or unique navigational needs... we each have our own folder structure for sure, and each of our "business processes" have been evolved to fit with the old SM. So much changed that getting back to full-blown "old version" of our sites can seem difficult - but if you start small, and have reasonable short-, mid- and long-term goals, I think the new SM will far surpass most of what people had before... and far more quickly than you might imagine.

As for getting started:
    • I suggest that you pick a template that you think is neat and poke around a little. Just be careful of modifying your folder structures (in the Organizer mode) prior to unveiling - those tie back to your legacy site and you might cause yourself headaches by accident.
    • You will need to click Publish Now in order to have your changes "stick" but don't worry that won't unveil your site. In order to unveil you have to click the button and then type in a key word -- you won't do that without knowing it.
    • Set some very small goals - classic changes would be removing the SM header and footer, adding an About Me, and tweaking on the Homepage, All Folders and All Galleries settings, and see if you can accomplish those by searching the forums, trial and error, and asking for help when you get stuck.
    • Being able to post screenshots is key if you get really stuck, the terminology changed a lot with the upgrade and it's a little hard to talk about things without pictures... and there isn't a way for outsiders to see your progress which sucks. I actually created a gallery called screenshots (http://aschendel.smugmug.com/Other/Screenshots/n-M9n59) and then use the Share | Get Link | Embeddable Links code to post things...
    • Find features you like on unveiled sites and post a specific question if you want to figure something out.
    • Be patient! You figured out your iPhone, right? You'll get this too.
    Andy
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    We have a couple getting started webinars you may find useful!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPoJs6FwS4HVUAoTcchIb5qJIV5Bf8cV6

Thanks for the links. What template did you start with on your site and did you keep the default background color?