Options

New Gallery Question

Crabby LadyCrabby Lady Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited December 12, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I currently have a web site and use smugmug for the photo's. I am now setting up another 2 totally unrelated websites and would like to use smugmug for those pictures. How, or can I set up an entirely new gallery for the new websites that have no connettion to each other? I tried adding a gallery, but it just added a new category to my original website.

Crabby Lady
:dunno

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    I currently have a web site and use smugmug for the photo's. I am now setting up another 2 totally unrelated websites and would like to use smugmug for those pictures. How, or can I set up an entirely new gallery for the new websites that have no connettion to each other? I tried adding a gallery, but it just added a new category to my original website.

Crabby Lady
    ne_nau.gif

Hi Crabby Lady,

Thanks for posting. You can have unlimited categories on one website, and they can be public, or private. You could have Website B people could be directed to category b galleries - Website A people to category A gallereries - and so on. The galleries can be public, they show on your homepage - or private, they do not (yet you see them when you are logged in)

creating: http://www.smugmug.com/help/online-photo-gallery

settings: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

Hope this helps!

All the best,
  • Options
    Crabby LadyCrabby Lady Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Adding galleries
    Andy,
    I am still not quite sure what to do. If I add a gallery, it becomes a gallery on my original website. I know how to hide it, as I have a gallery with my logo and other website pictures which I do not want seen on my web site. I inherited this main web site, and if I screw it up I am dead!!!. I just want to add another whole group of pictures that have nothing to do with my original website. Can that be done? The help section seems to be showing me how to add galleries and sub galleries to existing galleries or am I missing something? I would just like to have a set of photo's for the CaloosaBirdClub.org website which is set up with smugmug and a serapate group of photo's for the capedolphinsboatclub.com website which is not set up for pictures as yet.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Crabby Lady,

Thanks for posting. You can have unlimited categories on one website, and they can be public, or private. You could have Website B people could be directed to category b galleries - Website A people to category A gallereries - and so on. The galleries can be public, they show on your homepage - or private, they do not (yet you see them when you are logged in)

creating: http://www.smugmug.com/help/online-photo-gallery

settings: http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

Hope this helps!

All the best,
  • Options
    edited December 10, 2005
    Andy,
    I am still not quite sure what to do. If I add a gallery, it becomes a gallery on my original website. I know how to hide it, as I have a gallery with my logo and other website pictures which I do not want seen on my web site. I inherited this main web site, and if I screw it up I am dead!!!. I just want to add another whole group of pictures that have nothing to do with my original website. Can that be done? The help section seems to be showing me how to add galleries and sub galleries to existing galleries or am I missing something? I would just like to have a set of photo's for the CaloosaBirdClub.org website which is set up with smugmug and a serapate group of photo's for the capedolphinsboatclub.com website which is not set up for pictures as yet.

Hi, Could you give us some more information? I found one website:

http://caloosabirdclub.smugmug.com/ is this yours? Do you have another, also?

You can follow the instructions and add a gallery, it can be in a category or not - up to you. It can be shown on the main page (public) or not (private). You won't see it when you are logged out if it is private.

Please give us some more information, and I'm certain we can help you :D
  • Options
    FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    I'm trying to work through a similar issue, although my "site B" will be a subset of my main site. A group of my users will be accessing the main site through one domain name and the sub-site users will be accessing it through a second domain name. I haven't actually put anything up yet because I'm still trying to work everything out on paper to make sure my plan makes sense, but I'm thinking that one solution might be to have my sub domain name redirected to a gallery page of my SM account.

If that doesn't screw up SM's addressing, then I'd have the main domain name point to the SM home page and the "sub" domain name point to a private gallery within my SM site. Then, for the sub-site, I would create a handful of private-gallery-based HTMLs that point to the sub-site's private galleries.

Maybe Andy or the others could let us know whether this is a viable solution... but one wrinkle is that (I think) if you make the galleries private, then you can't use the search function to get to its images. If I'm right about that, that may impact whether this is a good option for either of us.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2005
    I'm trying to work through a similar issue, although my "site B" will be a subset of my main site. A group of my users will be accessing the main site through one domain name and the sub-site users will be accessing it through a second domain name. I haven't actually put anything up yet because I'm still trying to work everything out on paper to make sure my plan makes sense, but I'm thinking that one solution might be to have my sub domain name redirected to a gallery page of my SM account.

If that doesn't screw up SM's addressing, then I'd have the main domain name point to the SM home page and the "sub" domain name point to a private gallery within my SM site. Then, for the sub-site, I would create a handful of private-gallery-based HTMLs that point to the sub-site's private galleries.

Sorry, but a domain cannot be directed to a gallery, only to www.smugmug.com which is then setup in your control panel to catch that domain and present your viewer with nickname.smugmug.com - more here in SmugMug Help. You can have one custom hostname per professional account.
    Maybe Andy or the others could let us know whether this is a viable solution... but one wrinkle is that (I think) if you make the galleries private, then you can't use the search function to get to its images. If I'm right about that, that may impact whether this is a good option for either of us.

Private galleries are not searchable, becuase they are, well, private. More here in SmugMug Help

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    FormerLurkerFormerLurker Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited December 12, 2005
    Andy,

Thanks - I think I was going to go about it slightly differently, though, in that I was planning to have my "sub-domain" name redirected by my DNS to a specific gallery, while using the CNAME for the main domain name. So while the initial redirecting would be done by someone other than SM, it would land on the sub-page of my main site. (Since this is all part of one site, having my main site's address appear in the browser isn't a problem and I'll handle the differences with changes to the sub-site's header.)

Thanks!