Options

SmugMug BUG Report/Fixes section

southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
edited August 8, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Pretty sure this will never happen...It would be superb customer service if SmugMug would provide a place to go to see ALL valid/proven/acknowledged BUGS - especially now for the New SMugMug. BUGS could be listed, what is affected, priority of bug listed, and then date of Fix listed. This is done by so many companies; like cellphone apps that tell you the revision number, what was fixed etc. If this was all in one place, it should limit some of the multiple threads that are entered for a particular problem. Most folks will tell you how time consuming it is to go through ALL the bug reports, and/or regular support forums to "see" if anyone else is having the problem as some folks describe the issue differently, or add extra "problems" to a thread.

I KNOW SmugMug has this data and that is what their developers use to prioritize their programming time. While SmugMug might find this to limit their business (folks might shy awy from SmugMug), it would be hugely helpful for their customer base. At least we would know something is being addressed and would know where we need to be careful in our customizations and builds. It's a pretty hard practice to develop our sites blindly, spend hours figuring out what we have done wrong and then after hours of searching, find out that the Heros have found the problem is a real bug and it has been escalated to the developers. And then there is no place to find out when the bug has been fixed (with the few exceptions where when following a thread, the Hero lets us know something has been fixed). Sorry for that run on sentence.

Right now I can't even tell you how many threads I am following to see if one particular problem has been fixed or what the work around is.

I am sure others have asked for this inside various threads, but I could not find a direct request at the top thread level...if so, sorry I didn't get through 50 pages or so (arbitrary number) of threads! Maybe the more folks ask for this, it will happen.

I thank anyone who read all this and replied with a +1:D

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    The same needs to be done for feature requests.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited August 7, 2013
    +1 I asked for something similar in a number of threads, starting here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236995

The situation has gotten a lot worse since then. There are too many threads for any sane person to follow. Some of the issues have undoubtedly been resolved by now, but without an official list from SM, it's impossible to tell. Many of the complaints are simply user error at this point, but again, how is one to know?

I realize that the support folks have their hands and feet full, but if someone would just put together an official list and maintain it, it would probably reduce the frequency with which they are responding to the same questions over and over. And seeing this request over and over mwink.gif.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Richard wrote: »
    +1 I asked for something similar in a number of threads, starting here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236995

The situation has gotten a lot worse since then. There are too many threads for any sane person to follow. Some of the issues have undoubtedly been resolved by now, but without an official list from SM, it's impossible to tell. Many of the complaints are simply user error at this point, but again, how is one to know?

I realize that the support folks have their hands and feet full, but if someone would just put together an official list and maintain it, it would probably reduce the frequency with which they are responding to the same questions over and over. And seeing this request over and over mwink.gif.

I have been tireresly working on it, hence, why I am writing this at 4am. I am moving this into general Support, as it's not a bug....and I am on it! :)
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Also, I am doing my best to merge threads of the same issues....but as you can imagine, it's a mad house in here.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Thank you mbonocore - I know how many alligators are crawling up....but getting this accomplished would be a HUGE benefit to the SmugMug Community. Thanks again for all you and the Hero's do. Hey, think about adding Soul Gaze as a Hero! She has been really helping us all!!! Ummm or is that different from DGRIN?