my first wedding shoot how did I DO

skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited August 19, 2013 in Weddings
1IMG_6970-XL.jpg

2IMG_7034-XL.jpg

3IMG_7123-XL.jpg

4DSC_4335-XL.jpg

this was my firs shoot as a wedding photographer guys i would love some feed back tell me what you think i got to admit i think i was more nervous that the couple i was worried about settings cf crashing batteries dieing etc etc lol but was a cool experience

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Love that last shot, but the second to last shot could use a little better lighting on their face. Maybe just brighten the image overall, and it'll be better. Also the 2nd shot is nice and edgey, but the sun is a little harsh. I enjoy using the sun for creating dramatic light, but next time be a little more careful how you position the couple so that the sun falls on them from a better direction. (Usually, from directly behind them.)

Of course, I'm assuming that all of these things are items that you'll notice yourself, and are already remembering for next time. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • skippy77skippy77 Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    thanks for taking the time mathew to look at the photos ths was shot at around 11 am dont know if you know the canary islands but the song here is super strong i have not edited the shots apart from black and white 1s how would you go about fixing numer 2
    edited August 10, 2013
    this is my favourite shot from the wedding
    IMG_6978_tonemapped-001-XL.jpg
  • DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    I like the first and third.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    her arm looks a little odd in that last one.
    edited August 11, 2013
    she was not posing for the photo jish i turned and got her sitting down think she had an itch
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Excellent first wedding
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
    edited August 11, 2013
    thank you karloznz they and i were very happy with the results
  • michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Impressive for your first wedding thumb.gif

Good processing. Just work on framing and lines a bit.

Some tips when shooting:

NEVER show that you are confused/nervous/scared during a shoot. When people hire you to shoot their wedding, they trust that you know what you're doing. Even if you don't actually know (at a certain moment)..pretend. This is one of the few professions that you can get away with it. As long as you show that you are comfortable and relaxed, the couple/bridal party will feel the same way. They will remember you as that "awesome photographer" and you will get more money shots since they will feel relaxed and at ease knowing they are getting good photographs. Good vibes from you will make for good genuine photographs.

I recommend that bit of advice for getting into the field. I screwed up my first wedding as a primary because I was nervous. The couple noticed, and I could tell the bridal party felt a little uncomfortable. It didn't help that one of the groomsmen was a photographer too! UGH..bad memories.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
    edited August 12, 2013
    didnt show my nerves thank god and the couple were fantastic i was just hoping that the oics looked as nice as they did through the view finder u mentioned framing and lines what do you mean by lines
  • JaimorJaimor Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I think the shots mostly look really great! My first gig was for a relative, which was a bit of a relief, but I was also thrown into a hurry up and do what I want situation, so I tried to frame as much as I possibly could in between orders. Did you do shots of the actual service as well, or just the posed stuff?
    edited August 15, 2013
    justed the posed shots the church they got we din does nto allow photography or video of any sort gutted really as it is a stunning lilttle chapel
  • smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I like your favorite, and think it would work even better if he hadn't straddled her gown, but stood behind it. It's ok to loose his legs visually at times.
    edited August 16, 2013
    thanks smurfy and thanks every 1 for the feed back and i waited patinetly this time like i say it was a first got a few renewal of vows to do any 1 got any tips for that
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Excellent work - Good looking clients make all the difference
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
    edited August 17, 2013
    thanks karloznz yes it does help so any 1 got tips for vows renewals got 2 this month
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    skippy77 wrote: »
    she was not posing for the photo jish i turned and got her sitting down think she had an itch

4. Next time ask for a pose...the arm is iffy. It makes all the difference between a shot you like and a shot everyone likes.

Your favorite shot...I like...and don't have a issue with him stepping in front of the dress. I think the pose has a certain passion expressed by his stance. Good work.

Number 3. Don't be afraid to use fill flash outdoors...it makes a big difference...just make sure it's subtle and is just enough to accomplish what you're looking for...which is perfect lighting. It's easy to do...just take a shot...chimp...and adjust the flash compensation to taste.

You might want to get a Hoodman HoodLoupe for outdoor use. I posted the link below...and ouch...they have gone up since I bought mine. I shoot a lot of outdoor events and mine permanently hangs from my windshield mirror. It sure makes a difference when chimping outdoors.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=h-lpp3

My motto is, "one more please." Ask for as many exposures as you need to make sure that you get the shot. It's been my experience that I've never had anyone complain about being asked for one more of the same pose...or two or three more...if, you give them the shot that you and they want.

Nice first wedding images...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Ed911 wrote: »
    4. Next time ask for a pose...the arm is iffy. It makes all the difference between a shot you like and a shot everyone likes.

Your favorite shot...I like...and don't have a issue with him stepping in front of the dress. I think the pose has a certain passion expressed by his stance. Good work.

Number 3. Don't be afraid to use fill flash outdoors...it makes a big difference...just make sure it's subtle and is just enough to accomplish what you're looking for...which is perfect lighting. It's easy to do...just take a shot...chimp...and adjust the flash compensation to taste.

You might want to get a Hoodman HoodLoupe for outdoor use. I posted the link below...and ouch...they have gone up since I bought mine. I shoot a lot of outdoor events and mine permanently hangs from my windshield mirror. It sure makes a difference when chimping outdoors.

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=h-lpp3

My motto is, "one more please." Ask for as many exposures as you need to make sure that you get the shot. It's been my experience that I've never had anyone complain about being asked for one more of the same pose...or two or three more...if, you give them the shot that you and they want.

Nice first wedding images...
    I wanted a hoodloupe, but the name-brand ones are way overpriced so I bought a great generic one for $25 or so, called the Vfinder.

I gotta admit I'm glad I didn't spend too much more money on a name-brand one, because now I barely use it. It's great for showing students what you're getting when you're teaching a workshop, and it's really great for turning your LCD into an actual viewfinder when shooting live view / video, but other than that I never use it... I either turn on my blinking highlight warning, and/or I check my histogram when necessary. Even in the brightest sun with the dirtiest LCD, I can still at least see those two things...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2013
    I don't like #4 so much, as to me it looks like she sat on a spiny plant...ouch!
    I love your favorite one, and also #1. Congrats on a successful first wedding shoot!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited August 19, 2013
    thanks kdotaylor she was sat on a plastic chair