What does Smugmug HQ look like?

cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
edited January 31, 2007 in SmugMug Support
So I was wondering, this may not even be the best section for this question but hey, what does smugmug HQ look like? Can we get some pics of say, the data center? or the offices themselves. I think it would be awesome, being a computer nerd by trade and by hobby to know what powers the works around here. :dunno
====My Gear=====
Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
Wedding Photographer
www.cwphotos.net

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    So I was wondering, this may not even be the best section for this question but hey, what does smugmug HQ look like? Can we get some pics of say, the data center? or the offices themselves. I think it would be awesome, being a computer nerd by trade and by hobby to know what powers the works around here. ne_nau.gif

Hi CW, thanks for posting!

HQ is in Silicon Valley, CA.
    We have folks spread out around the country, in CA, in Utah, the east coast, and NY (moi).

Here you can see some holiday cheer going up at Baldy's:
    Better watch out: they grow and start demanding bigger trees. It's never enough. Yesterday my kids persuaded me to hunt the monster of all trees.

47112493-M.jpg

We got some looks driving down the road with that.

47112375-M.jpg

47112452-M.jpg

Oh and for security reasons, we don't actually publish where our data centers are...

All the best,
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Got any specs on them however ?
    I mean im really interested to know how many terabytes of data storage we use. If for nothing more than the wow factor. mwink.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
    edited December 8, 2005
    cwphotos wrote:
    Got any specs on them however ?
    I mean im really interested to know how many terabytes of data storage we use. If for nothing more than the wow factor. mwink.gif

We don't actually publish all of that info. We do have in excess of 40 million photos online. You could probably make a guess naughty.gif

Here's a post by Baldy talking about how much Apple loves us....
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Huh???
    Andy wrote:
    Hi CW, thanks for posting!

HQ is in Silicon Valley, CA.
    We have folks spread out around the country, in CA, in Utah, the east coast, and NY (moi).

Here you can see some holiday cheer going up at Baldy's: not your average tree!

For security reasons, we don't actually publish where our data centers are...

All the best,

When I click on the link I'm taken to a forum post and a message saying to the effect I'm not logged in and I can't read the message.

I always thought it would be cool to bike ride around the country (like on a bicycle) but that passed...

I'm not sure I want to join Adventure Rider just to read the post -- is there another link you can post?

Thanks! D
    edited December 8, 2005
    Sorry Dee! Fixed.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    eek7.gif Thats bigger than the one in our town square. And tell that young fella up the top to get a harness on.
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    eek7.gif Thats bigger than the one in our town square. And tell that young fella up the top to get a harness on.
    That'd be me. :) I was far more worried earlier in the day when Baldy was the only support I had.

As for earlier questions, we actually can't post photos of our data center even if we wanted to, because we can't bring cameras in. It is heavily secured (which should make all of you happy!), complete with all sorts of cool biometric scanning... etc. They don't allow cameras in the building for obvious reasons, but our racks are actually really sweet looking. We have lots and lots of these. The picture doesn't do it justice though, because they have really cool blue LED status lights and stuff.... because you don't know it is fancy if it doesn't blink at you, right?!

Though the data center only is entertaining the first few seconds... then you realize you have a lot of work to do, and you are going to be there all night. rolleyes1.gif

HQ is far less dramatic, if only for the fact that we don't require biometric scanning and ID checks to get in! Its pretty much just a bunch of computers and desks. ne_nau.gif
    Smug since 2003
  • cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Thanks Andy I think I have a nice picture now. Im glad all my pics are safe and toasty inside those Xraids..... biggrinbounce2.gif
    ====My Gear=====
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    and to think I thought I was crazy one year chopping down a 13-ft tree and bringing it home in the Jeep. You guys were insane rolleyes1.gif

If you decide to do it again next year (I'll be looking for a post next year to find out!), start that saw cut closer to the ground. You can always cut off the bottom once the tree is down!

Forgot to add that you've got to post pictures of you trying to decorate it as well!
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    So Smugmug is run on XServes, or just XRaids (Drool)?
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Confidential
    This is very sensitive so be careful with it. As an undercover I was able to obtain all the information needed to fulfill the request of what's running SmugMug.

As for the Datacenter Servers.... They are only the best!!!
    47659162-L.jpg

Some may wonder how we backup ALL those images and give you "the customer" ease of knowing your data is well kept..... This is the latest in technology that the univers has to offer. And Smugmug Has it....
    47659158-L.jpg

Now when we talk customer service... well we believe that that accurate records are the only thing to keep us successful.....
    47659159-L.jpg

And Finally!!!! We have such a diverse means of technology we can actually handle customer service without being tied to our desk.
    47659160-L.jpg

So, if you don't think that we (Smugmug) are the absolute best on the internet then just shop around and try some other services.... Without a doubt, You'll Be Back!!!!

rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Smugmug!!!!
    Love Your Service
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 9, 2005
    Um, how did you get that redwood into your living room? Do you have a barn door or what!!!

:eek1

Youz guyz are craazy!!!
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 9, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    This is very sensitive so be careful with it. As an undercover I was able to obtain all the information needed to fulfill the request of what's running SmugMug.

As for the Datacenter Servers.... They are only the best!!!
    47659162-L.jpg

Some may wonder how we backup ALL those images and give you "the customer" ease of knowing your data is well kept..... This is the latest in technology that the univers has to offer. And Smugmug Has it....
    47659158-L.jpg

Now when we talk customer service... well we believe that that accurate records are the only thing to keep us successful.....
    47659159-L.jpg

And Finally!!!! We have such a diverse means of technology we can actually handle customer service without being tied to our desk.
    47659160-L.jpg

So, if you don't think that we (Smugmug) are the absolute best on the internet then just shop around and try some other services.... Without a doubt, You'll Be Back!!!!

rolleyes1.gif

Thanks Smugmug!!!!
    Love Your Service
    I love the cell phone BORG look alikethumb.gif YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 28, 2006
    Ben wrote:
    That'd be me. :) I was far more worried earlier in the day when Baldy was the only support I had.

As for earlier questions, we actually can't post photos of our data center even if we wanted to, because we can't bring cameras in. It is heavily secured

http://zdnet.com.com/1606-2_2-6110331.html :D
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2006
    I'll tell you, I thought I was in the wrong place when I visited the Smugmug HQ lol3.gif But then I saw Toni's smiling face and I knew I was in the right place thumb.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    The CNET clip shows the ol CEO telling the reporter over 300TBs of storage :-)

hehe, cool, hehe

:D
  • samwisesamwise Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I like the comment "another multi-billion dollar organisation" when talking about the Amazon interaction - implies that Smugmug is a multi-billion dollar org too :D
  • tymtym Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    We don't actually publish all of that info. We do have in excess of 40 million photos online. You could probably make a guess

Hi Andy,

With all due respect, that seems like an rather evasive response to what I think is a reasonable question. As I'm nearing the end of my eval period one of the main things I want to know before I hand over my $$$ is a bit more about the infrastructure I'd be paying to use. Not photos or detailed specifics but surely some info re. general architecture, bandwidth, uptime, backup etc. etc.

Saying "40 million photos online. You could probably make a guess" falls a bit short in that regard. I was getting "not found" timeout errors trying to connect your main page this morning in fact.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    tym wrote:
    Hi Andy,

With all due respect, that seems like an rather evasive response to what I think is a reasonable question. As I'm nearing the end of my eval period one of the main things I want to know before I hand over my $$$ is a bit more about the infrastructure I'd be paying to use. Not photos or detailed specifics but surely some info re. general architecture, bandwidth, uptime, backup etc. etc.
    Check out this video of Don (Onethumb) talking about their infrastructure. Also check out this info piece from Amazon about what they provide to smugmug.
    tym wrote:
    Saying "40 million photos online. You could probably make a guess" falls a bit short in that regard. I was getting "not found" timeout errors trying to connect your main page this morning in fact.
    The down time was due to maintenance. There is more information here.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited August 29, 2006
    tym wrote:
    Hi Andy,

It's 90,000,000 and growing, now :D Mike (just above) gave you the links I was going to provide - hopefully they give you an idea about how serious we take our operations! If you have any specific questions after looking at those, I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for looking at SmugMug!
  • tymtym Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    It's 90,000,000 and growing, now :D Mike (just above) gave you the links I was going to provide - hopefully they give you an idea about how serious we take our operations! If you have any specific questions after looking at those, I'd be happy to answer them. Thanks for looking at SmugMug!

Welll, I am a bit disappointed in the slow response time. I've been sitting here waiting for an answer for nearly TWO minutes!

But seriously, a thanks to Mike for the info and to you for your follow-up.

Admittedly new here but pretty much like what I see to this point. In particular the degree to which sites can be customized is a definite strong point.

The only issue causing pause at all is that apparently full size (final print resolution) should be used? It looks like the relatively new feature whereby you can "hold" an image from print until you upload your final adjusted version is a step in the right direction, but then you have to do it one, by one, by one...

I do use a competitor's system whereby you can manage complete galleries offline then sync when/if orders are received. Hopefully something along those lines is at least under discussion?

Thanks again for the prompt response.

Tym
    edited August 29, 2006
    tym wrote:
    Welll, I am a bit disappointed in the slow response time. I've been sitting here waiting for an answer for nearly TWO minutes!

But seriously, a thanks to Mike for the info and to you for your follow-up.
    It's our pleasure :D
    Admittedly new here but pretty much like what I see to this point. In particular the degree to which sites can be customized is a definite strong point.
    Holler in the customization for us if we can help you with your site deal.gif
    The only issue causing pause at all is that apparently full size (final print resolution) should be used? It looks like the relatively new feature whereby you can "hold" an image from print until you upload your final adjusted version is a step in the right direction, but then you have to do it one, by one, by one...
    yep - you can upload large enough files to allow the sale of the largest print you want to sell, and compress them to jpg 7 or 8 - for easy proof uploading. Then, on order, you do replace them one at a time. We'll look into other methods!
  • BrianLoweBrianLowe Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 29, 2006
    Here is what they have been working on all night- The new data center
    This is the new data center they have been working on all night, you finally get to see what it looks like....

91501312-M-1.jpg
    edited January 30, 2007
    What does HQ look like?

These days, something like this.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    What does HQ look like?

These days, something like this.

So the big question...

is it getting painted SmugMug green ? lol3.giflol3.gif