Options

Multiple level Nav Bar pull down

megmacmegmac Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited August 18, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi All,
I'm looking to have at least two levels to my pull down list. Currently my SPORTS tab will show all the different sports but since I've arranged them in folders by YEARS they do not show up. I've enclosed a jpeg showing the pull down. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    megmac wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I'm looking to have at least two levels to my pull down list. Currently my SPORTS tab will show all the different sports but since I've arranged them in folders by YEARS they do not show up. I've enclosed a jpeg showing the pull down. Thank you in advance

Anyone????? Thanks in Advance
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Looks like you have it set to auto fill. Can't you just manually create the menu levels?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Looks like you have it set to auto fill. Can't you just manually create the menu levels?

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to accomplish that. I've been searching but haven't come up wit h the information. If you could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thank you
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I was able to do this. It's a bit of tedious process.

Menu-Levels_01-L.jpg

1. In your Menu you create a Link to your Browse Page. I called mine "Photos."

2. Create a another link and choose "Page I Choose." Pick your next Level. If it has only Galleries in it, tick the "include sub-folders" box. If it has both Sub-Folders & Galleries, do NOT tick that box.

3. If you have a mix of both, create another link that, and follow steps in #2, going to your sub-folder, be sure to check the "include sub-folders" box if it only contains galleries.

4. Now you can nest your links. Simply drag & drop them into the upper level item you want. You'll also have to create a new menu item for each gallery that is in your second levels that are mixed folders & galleries, and manually place them in there.

Menu-Levels_02-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I was able to do this. It's a bit of tedious process.

Menu-Levels_01-L.jpg

1. In your Menu you create a Link to your Browse Page. I called mine "Photos."

2. Create a another link and choose "Page I Choose." Pick your next Level. If it has only Galleries in it, tick the "include sub-folders" box. If it has both Sub-Folders & Galleries, do NOT tick that box.

3. If you have a mix of both, create another link that, and follow steps in #2, going to your sub-folder, be sure to check the "include sub-folders" box if it only contains galleries.

4. Now you can nest your links. Simply drag & drop them into the upper level item you want. You'll also have to create a new menu item for each gallery that is in your second levels that are mixed folders & galleries, and manually place them in there.

Menu-Levels_02-L.jpg

Thank you very much, that is exactly what I'm looking to do. I will try it later tonight. Have a great day
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013

Allen, still struggling here, could you explain what you mean by " Can't you just manually create the menu"
    here is my web address http://megmac.smugmug.com/ I've put all my sports in folders categorized by years. When I click on Sports, Little League, Id like to see the four folders. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Allen, still struggling here, could you explain what you mean by " Can't you just manually create the menu"
    here is my web address http://megmac.smugmug.com/ I've put all my sports in folders categorized by years. When I click on Sports, Little League, Id like to see the four folders. Thanks
    I see five "year" folders clicking Sports, Little League, looks like ya got it done.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    I see five "year" folders clicking Sports, Little League, looks like ya got it done.

Hi Allen,
    Yes, I put them in separate folders, what Id like to see is when you click on Little League a fly-out showing the five years. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    Hi Allen,
    Yes, I put them in separate folders, what Id like to see is when you click on Little League a fly-out showing the five years. Thanks
    You can add them to the menu. Create a year link and slide it up to just after Little League then drag it
    slightly to the right to indent it.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    You can add them to the menu. Create a year link and slide it up to just after Little League then drag it
    slightly to the right to indent it.

Hi, in my menu I have a link called SPORTS, I do not have a Little league link. The SPORTS link chooses the page with all the folders so I guess I'm confused exactly what I need to do. Here is a pic of the menu links. Thanks for all your help
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi, in my menu I have a link called SPORTS, I do not have a Little league link. The SPORTS link chooses the page with all the folders so I guess I'm confused exactly what I need to do. Here is a pic of the menu links. Thanks for all your help
    This what I see. Remember I'm a visitor not logged in.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    This what I see. Remember I'm a visitor not logged in.

Hi,

Yes this is what I see also but I would like to Hover on Little League tab or any other sport tab and have a flyout showing the separate year folders. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi,

Yes this is what I see also but I would like to Hover on Little League tab or any other sport tab and have a flyout showing the separate year folders. Thanks
    Add in the buttons indented under Little League.
  • Options
    Sir_EagleSir_Eagle Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Here's some screenshots of mine. Hope this helps. You just keep adding links and offset them for the level of drops you want.

i-m9psMS4-S.jpgi-Qwf9VPG-S.png

i-f3b4Vrn-S.jpgi-PRFkX8x-S.png
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Sir_Eagle wrote: »
    Here's some screenshots of mine. Hope this helps. You just keep adding links and offset them for the level of drops you want.

i-m9psMS4-S.jpgi-Qwf9VPG-S.png

i-f3b4Vrn-S.jpgi-PRFkX8x-S.png

Thank you, so if I have 5 folders for Little League categorized by years I need to add a link for every one? Right now I only have SPORTS as a link and it shows all the sports, would I need to separate each sport then add links for years? Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Thank you, so if I have 5 folders for Little League categorized by years I need to add a link for every one? Right now I only have SPORTS as a link and it shows all the sports, would I need to separate each sport then add links for years? Thanks for all the help.
    Looking at your site screen shot menu I posted in # 12 above click the + to add a link.
    Enter these in

Name
    Little League - 2013
    link
    http://megmac.smugmug.com/Sports/Little-League/Little-League-2013

Go to other tab and hold mouse on "Little League - 2013" and drag it all the way up to "Little League"
    and place it right under it. Then drag it to the right slightly till it shows as indented. Look at post #5
    above you can see what the indents look like.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Looking at your site screen shot menu I posted in # 12 above click the + to add a link.
    Enter these in

Name
    Little League - 2013
    link
    http://megmac.smugmug.com/Sports/Little-League/Little-League-2013

Go to other tab and hold mouse on "Little League - 2013" and drag it all the way up to "Little League"
    and place it right under it. Then drag it to the right slightly till it shows as indented. Look at post #5
    above you can see what the indents look like.

Hi,
    I think my confusion is I don't have a link called Little league, I have one only called SPORTS and this is linked to all the folders. I think I understand what you want me to do but not sure it applies in my case. Suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Hi,
    I think my confusion is I don't have a link called Little league, I have one only called SPORTS and this is linked to all the folders. I think I understand what you want me to do but not sure it applies in my case. Suggestions? Thanks
    Then it's probably filling in all sub-folders automagically, I've seen this somewhere in a pick drop but
    can't find it. Blank the link for the top level Sports. Then you'll have to add each of the drops starting
    with "Little League". Then add "Little League - 2013" under it. Lots of work with lots of links/buttons.

Edit: Found it on the edit link tab. Setting this to yes will fill the drops with all the sub-folders.
    "Include Folder Contents"
    You want to manually add your own links with more levels so turn this off.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Then it's probably filling in all sub-folders automagically, I've seen this somewhere in a pick drop but
    can't find it. Blank the link for the top level Sports. Then you'll have to add each of the drops starting
    with "Little League". Then add "Little League - 2013" under it. Lots of work with lots of links/buttons.

Edit: Found it on the edit link tab. Setting this to yes will fill the drops with all the sub-folders.
    "Include Folder Contents"
    You want to add you own links with more levels so turn this off.

Ok, I'm beginning to see the light a bit. There is no easy way around this almost every sport in the menu has 4 or 5 years so I'm looking at a lot of work. Would I still be able to have a main menu called SPORTS with all the added links. Seems like Ill need to find that auto fill and turn it off.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Ok, I'm beginning to see the light a bit. There is no easy way around this almost every sport in the menu has 4 or 5 years so I'm looking at a lot of work. Would I still be able to have a main menu called SPORTS with all the added links. Seems like Ill need to find that auto fill and turn it off.

Hopefully last question, will I be making these new links and choosing the URL choice, so Ill need to have another browser open to copy those. Thanks
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Write it all up in notepad so you can copy/paste. Start at the top and do each level. Every new link will
    have to be dragged up to its location. The more levels mean more dragging. It's a lot less dragging if you
    march down and do the in order.

The link tab for "Sports" has the auto fill "Include Folder Contents" on it.
    Hopefully last question, will I be making these new links and choosing the URL choice, so Ill need to have another browser open to copy those. Thanks
    It would be easier to select the page link from each page so another browser window would be more efficient.
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Write it all up in notepad so you can copy/paste. Start at the top and do each level. Every new link will
    have to be dragged up to its location. The more levels mean more dragging. It's a lot less dragging if you
    march down and do the in order.

The link tab for "Sports" has the auto fill "Include Folder Contents" on it.

It would be easier to select the page link from each page so another browser window would be more efficient.

Great, thanks for all your help.