Options for removing certain galleries from browse?

dpollittdpollitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 8, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
What are my options for removing only certain galleries from my "browse" page?

I have a "client" gallery and a "guestbook" gallery that I want removed from the browse page as they don't really fit there.

Currently in my browse page settings, I have "Select From: Current Location". If I change it to "Select From: Top Level Folders" the browse page is the same. It looks like I can either create a new top level folder and move everything I want to show to that, but then I have to make new galleries one level deeper. Can I just use some CSS to exclude 2 galleries from being shown on the browse page instead?

Here is my current example - http://dpollitt.smugmug.com/browse

Comments

• jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    This is exactly where folders come into use. You create the folder structure you need and just drag and drop the galleries into them So that will "hide" your Client Gallery and Guestbook. I wouldnt even put your Guestbook into a folder. When you browse to that your breadcrumb is Home>Guestbook>Guestbook. So just put the gallery at the top level so when you browse it, its Home>Guestbook.
  • dpollittdpollitt Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    jwashburn wrote: »
    This is exactly where folders come into use. You create the folder structure you need and just drag and drop the galleries into them So that will "hide" your Client Gallery and Guestbook. I wouldnt even put your Guestbook into a folder. When you browse to that your breadcrumb is Home>Guestbook>Guestbook. So just put the gallery at the top level so when you browse it, its Home>Guestbook.

Thank you for the help jwashburn. If I did this, all of my photos would then be one level deeper in this new folder such as "Pictures". Right?

I believe if I added this folder as you are suggesting my structure would look like this:
    properspective.com/pictures/travel/hawaii/image1.jpg

Wouldn't it be nicer to have my photos like this:
    properspective.com/travel/hawaii/image1.jpg
    edited August 8, 2013
    dpollitt wrote: »
    Thank you for the help jwashburn. If I did this, all of my photos would then be one level deeper in this new folder such as "Pictures". Right?

I believe if I added this folder as you are suggesting my structure would look like this:
    properspective.com/pictures/travel/hawaii/image1.jpg

Wouldn't it be nicer to have my photos like this:
    properspective.com/travel/hawaii/image1.jpg

Try just moving your guest book up to the root and delete the guestbook folder and then make your Clients folder unlisted since you have a link to it on your navbar
    edited August 8, 2013
    Try just moving your guest book up to the root and delete the guestbook folder and then make your Clients folder unlisted since you have a link to it on your navbar

I tried this. If I make my client-login folder unlisted, then the name on the navigation bar changes to "Client(Unlisted)" and the unlisted part cannot be removed using the "name" customization for the navigation bar.
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Go to yoursite.com/browse and in the customizer, "make this page (folder?) custom" - then you can add a folder, gallery, etc block that only holds what you want, and the rest of your folders will remain with "current location" which is probably how you want them.
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited August 8, 2013
    I tried this. If I make my client-login folder unlisted, then the name on the navigation bar changes to "Client(Unlisted)" and the unlisted part cannot be removed using the "name" customization for the navigation bar.

It only says unlisted when you are logged in. Your visitors will see it like normal
    edited August 8, 2013
    Go to yoursite.com/browse and in the customizer, "make this page (folder?) custom" - then you can add a folder, gallery, etc block that only holds what you want, and the rest of your folders will remain with "current location" which is probably how you want them.

Just tried this. Now I have "Select From: Folders I choose" and I selected the dozen or so folders I wanted to be displayed, and did not select the "client-login" gallery that I do not want displayed.

This has introduced a new issue. When I click on "Cars" for example, it just redirects back to the same "browse" page, with the same folders that I choose. It does not drill into the folder with the image content any longer.

It is live and can be tested right now by anyone that wants to take a look: http://www.properspective.com/browse
    edited August 8, 2013
    It only says unlisted when you are logged in. Your visitors will see it like normal

No that is not correct. I am logged out in a separate browser and my navigation was showing the unlisted text to me as a "visitor".
    edited August 8, 2013
    Just tried this. Now I have "Select From: Folders I choose" and I selected the dozen or so folders I wanted to be displayed, and did not select the "client-login" gallery that I do not want displayed.

This has introduced a new issue. When I click on "Cars" for example, it just redirects back to the same "browse" page, with the same folders that I choose. It does not drill into the folder with the image content any longer.

It is live and can be tested right now by anyone that wants to take a look: http://www.properspective.com/browse

I think you forgot to make the page custom first...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
    edited August 8, 2013
    I think you forgot to make the page custom first...

That was it. I made a new custom page, instead of the default "browse" page. Then in the new page I selected the folders I wanted to use, modified my nav to use this new custom page that I called "galleries" and all is working now. Thank you sir!
    edited August 8, 2013
    You can actually customize the /browse page though - just click "make this folder custom" on the right, I think...