Options

Can I Preview the new design as a visitor? (i.e. as if I'm logged out)

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited August 23, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Stuff looks so different, I'd like to see what they see before I make launch the new design.

thanks!
Trish

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited August 8, 2013
  • Options
    mmytonmmyton Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    If you do not want to login and out of your site, try installing and using a different browser to view your site.

For example, I use Chrome as my primary browser to access my SmugMug site for administrative purposes. Chrome remembers the fact that I have logged into SmugMug (cookies) so every time I return, I get the admin view. If I use Internet Explorer and never login to SmugMug, it accesses my site as a visitor would experience.

Just a thought.
    mytonphotography.com
  • Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    mmyton wrote: »
    If you do not want to login and out of your site, try installing and using a different browser to view your site.

For example, I use Chrome as my primary browser to access my SmugMug site for administrative purposes. Chrome remembers the fact that I have logged into SmugMug (cookies) so every time I return, I get the admin view. If I use Internet Explorer and never login to SmugMug, it accesses my site as a visitor would experience.

Just a thought.

Just be aware this only works once you have unveiled your site. If you are trying to see what its going to look like unveiled you have to commit and just go for it
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Not quite ready to unveil. I keep stealing slivers of time to do the redesign. It's my busy season. Not happy with where the site is yet. Still have to figure some stuff out. I wish I could preview it for real without unveiling it. But I'll wait until I have the time to fix or or figuring out how to un-unveil.

thanks, I appreciate the info.
    Trish

jwashburn wrote: »
    Just be aware this only works once you have unveiled your site. If you are trying to see what its going to look like unveiled you have to commit and just go for it
  • Options
    JCphotographyJCphotography Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    How can they get rid of the most important tool in smugmug? Visitor view is huge.
  • Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    How can they get rid of the most important tool in smugmug? Visitor view is huge.

I don't think there is a way until you unveil; once you are fully on the new system, you just log out - you then see what a visitor will see. Gbear
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    I don't think there is a way until you unveil; once you are fully on the new system, you just log out - you then see what a visitor will see. Gbear

I know, but that is a huge waste of time.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Main thing to watch out for is using photos from private galleries on eg your bio or contact page. no indication when logged in that there's a problem, but visitors will see a broken picture link. Lots of people caught out by this

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    gbear wrote: »
    I know, but that is a huge waste of time.
    Why do you think that is a waste of time? I've always used two browsers - one logged in and one logged out. And I keep both open. The only time needed is to switch to the other browser and possibly refresh the page.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Why do you think that is a waste of time? I've always used two browsers - one logged in and one logged out. And I keep both open. The only time needed is to switch to the other browser and possibly refresh the page.

--- Denise

Because not everyone uses two browsers and not everyone wants 2 browsers on their computer. Just because it isn't a problem for you doesn't mean. It is bothersome to other.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    A one browser solution for those using chrome is to open an incognito tab. This will work as logged out, but allow you to continue to work on your site logged in on the regular tabs.

I guess the equivalent in other browsers might work too

Posted from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    paulbrock wrote: »
    A one browser solution for those using chrome is to open an incognito tab. This will work as logged out, but allow you to continue to work on your site logged in on the regular tabs.

I guess the equivalent in other browsers might work too

Posted from Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't know how to make one tab in safari as private. I know how to make them all, but not one.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    Because not everyone uses two browsers and not everyone wants 2 browsers on their computer. Just because it isn't a problem for you doesn't mean. It is bothersome to other.
    I get that - you don't want to do this. But saying that using two browsers is a waste of time is not true.

There is another reason for installing multiple browsers - even though you clearly only use one, do you not want to verify that viewers of your site that choose a different browser will see your site as you intended? I've always checked my site in multiple browsers.

Just curious... what browser do you use?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    I get that - you don't want to do this. But saying that using two browsers is a waste of time is not true.

There is another reason for installing multiple browsers - even though you clearly only use one, do you not want to verify that viewers of your site that choose a different browser will see your site as you intended? I've always checked my site in multiple browsers.

Just curious... what browser do you use?

--- Denise

I didn't say using 2 browsers is a waste of time. Logging out and back in several times is. I use safari
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013

In the time it took you to write this post, you could have downloaded a 2nd browser. It's trivial, and it gives you what you need (logged in in one browser as admin, use 2nd browser to see what visitors see). I've been recommending 2 browsers for nearly 9 years with SmugMug.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Two browsers work great but not for the OP. Until the site is unveiled the 2nd browser only sees the legacy site.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I didn't say using 2 browsers is a waste of time. Logging out and back in several times is. I use safari

I think we all agree and the solution tends to be use two browsers (or two instances of a single browswer with one set to Incognito / Private). Right after I go to my smugmug site, I right-click on my Home link and choose Open link in new private window (FF), or Open link in incognito window (Chrome). In IE I just start a new browser as InPrivate Browsing and start typing my url...

a.s.
  • Options
    Bob_ABob_A Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    There is no visitor view in the new smug. The closest you can come is to use the preview button.

See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1252685-how-can-i-see-what-my-visitors-will-see-where-is-the-visitor-view-mode-

--- Denise

Which is not useful for anyone needing to check to see the behavior of their protected and unlisted galleries/folders prior to unveiling. I'm close to pulling the plug on SM because of this missing feature.
  • Options
    gbeargbear Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    It does waste time compared to the old one - it helps if you use a text expnder to log in Bill Wilson
  • Options
    scubasimonscubasimon Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2013
    Anyone knows if there is a date that SmugMug is working to include this missing feature?
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2013
    they've not gotten as far as confirming that they are happy to add this yet....