Options

EOS D20 detailed review at RobGalbraith.com

zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
edited September 12, 2004 in Cameras
Thought you'd like to check it out. I respect very much these reviews, as they come from a working pro really giving the cameras a good workout, not just obsessing over lab tests. It's here.

PS: No pics until the 23rd, as part of the non-disclosure agreement.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 20, 2004
    oh boy. i don't think my bank account is prepared for this. deal.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited August 20, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Thought you'd like to check it out. I respect very much these reviews, as they come from a working pro really giving the cameras a good workout, not just obsessing over lab tests. It's here.

PS: No pics until the 23rd, as part of the non-disclosure agreement.
    Z-Z A few image files from the 20D can be found here 1drink.gifhttp://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_sample-e.html
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh yeah, maybe I'll cash out my 401K, buy a 1D mkII and some serious L glass. I want way more than I got. EEeek..:hung

rich
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Z-Z A few image files from the 20D can ba found here 1drink.gifhttp://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/eos20d/eos20d_sample-e.html
    Oh yeah, I've seen those. I meant from Rob Galbraith.

Like the tower one. Have you seen it full size?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Wow, they certainly seem to have tackled the noise problem on the 20D. If true, it's very impressive. I took a ten second expsure with the 1D at 200ISO and had tons and tons of noise - unusable, in fact. It's one reason why I too lust for the 1DmkII, unworthy as I am.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Oh yeah, I've seen those. I meant from Rob Galbraith.

Like the tower one. Have you seen it full size?
    The tower is very impressive to me - the sky seems to have very little noise and the yellow metal structure is sharply defined. I AM very impressed by the quality of the optics used the 35mm f1.4 L lens - very nice indeed.

The image quality is a definite step up from the 10D. It will be interesting to compare this to the 1DMkII as I am sure will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Motorcycle, camera, lenses, education, PUI Friday. rolleyes1.gif

What have I missed? How to afford it all. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    It will be interesting to compare this to the 1DMkII as I am sure will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

I am curious to see this too. I also wonder how it will compare to the D70, will prosumers even notice the difference? How is the D70 with noise? Just when Nikon thought they had one upped Canon. I wonder when we will hear from Nikon? I am sure they have something in the works.

If the 20D does what they say, I could see one in my future. I would also like to see how good the 18-85 IS EF-S lens is. It is definitely a good focal length.
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I am curious to see this too. I also wonder how it will compare to the D70, will prosumers even notice the difference? How is the D70 with noise? Just when Nikon thought they had one upped Canon. I wonder when we will hear from Nikon? I am sure they have something in the works.

If the 20D does what they say, I could see one in my future. I would also like to see how good the 18-85 IS EF-S lens is. It is definitely a good focal length.
    The 18-85 is an impressive range and would be extremely useful - seems Canon traded aperture ( it is only f4.5 -f5.5) for IS. Since it is a slower lens, IS will still allow it to be used some in dimmer light - I think that some forms of IS are cheaper to manufacture than large sharp aperature lenses also. Won't allow as shallow depth of field tho.
    I just wish the 18-85 was not EF-S. That would be a nice walk around lens on a standard EOS body also.headscratch.gif

• Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    Tempting.

I'll keep the old Rebel until it dies, or I drop it in a lake...
    Then, I'll have an excuse.

Doug
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2004
    i've decided to not get the mk2 and go with the 20d
    my main reason for the mk2 was the 1.3 factor. i don't need the speed and the gatling-gun of the mk2 - while impressive, it's overkill for me. i got the chance to use one yesterday.

the 20d has great low noise, bigger file, bigger prints. it's also faster than the 10d, and the af is supposedly better.

i'm in :D
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2004
    Sure would be nice
    Sure would be nice but I will probly have to save my money for now.
    I need more goodies than anything else right now.
    New glass,a couple of Alien bees,new tripod,bag ect.ect.ect.
    Now all I have to do is knock over the local bank and I'm good to go.naughty.gif
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Motorcycle, camera, lenses, education, PUI Friday. rolleyes1.gif

What have I missed? How to afford it all. ne_nau.gif
    I was a bad bad boy today...

Let's just say I've given up on the 2nd motorbike. I already found a buyer for my Rebel kit and the chump change I had for the bike is exactly what I need to cover the difference on the 20D.

Sorry Patch.
    Erik

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Let's just say I've given up on the 2nd motorbike. I already found a buyer for my Rebel kit and the chump change I had for the bike is exactly what I need to cover the difference on the 20D.

Sorry Patch.

Congrats on 20D! When will Canon start shipping? You'll have to give us a review when you get it.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:

Sorry Patch.

:cry What happened to your priorities? headscratch.gif Wonder what the ADVrider crew will think when you opted for a camera over a dirt bike? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif

Not that my new GS is not tied up in EOS 1 digital bodies. naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    from what i have heard ...
    patch29 wrote:
    :cry What happened to your priorities? headscratch.gif Wonder what the ADVrider crew will think when you opted for a camera over a dirt bike?

.... it won't be pretty. ouch!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2004
    I will of course give you all the dirt when I get it. I can't wait.

Yeah, Patch, I know. I'll let you play with the camera if you promise to stick up for me! But it was a no brainer. I had managed to save up $500 that was really "disposable" these past few months - so it was either a really sweet new camera or a really piece of junk dirtbike.
    headscratch.gif (tough call...)

Did I mention I can't wait? I really hope they come through on their mid-september ship date.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Samples can be found here at dpreview.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    B&W mode?

I find it interesting that they included a B&W mode. Is the B&W file smaller than a color jpg? I also wonder if they will make it a post-process option for RAW files, that would seem to be the best of both worlds.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    holy moly!
    have you guys seen the iso 1600 and iso 3200 samples? smooth! like buttah! much improvement over the 10d, at least to my eyes.

this is exciting :D
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    have you guys seen the iso 1600 and iso 3200 samples? smooth! like buttah! much improvement over the 10d, at least to my eyes.

this is exciting :D

I took a quick look at the ferris wheel and thought it looked great. A 20D will probably be on my list deal.gif very soon. It should be an awesome travel camera.

I wish they could have made the additional grip in a second version that would accept the batteries from the EOS 1D series camera. That would make it a no brainer backup for pro body users, no second battery system or chargers.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I wish they could have made the additional grip in a second version that would accept the batteries from the EOS 1D series camera. That would make it a no brainer backup for pro body users, no second battery system or chargers.
    I really like the fact the grip will accept 6 AA batteries with an optional accessory. I have quite a collection built up from my A70 and it's nice knowing I won't have to retire their usage.

I'm glad I waited a while longer before getting the 300d. This one looks like a winner unless Nikon pulls a miracle out of their bumsy.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    I really like the fact the grip will accept 6 AA batteries with an optional accessory. I have quite a collection built up from my A70 and it's nice knowing I won't have to retire their usage.

I have a ton of AA's. Does it require any other batteries? If not that is awesome. clap.gif Canon Rocks. ylsuper.gif Now I have to buy one. deal.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Here is another review from the Luminous-Landscape.
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I have a ton of AA's. Does it require any other batteries? If not that is awesome. clap.gif Canon Rocks. ylsuper.gif Now I have to buy one. deal.gifrolleyes1.gifumph.gif

Because of its smaller dimensions the EOS 20D gets a new battery grip, the BG-E2. This provides additional battery capacity as it can take two BP-511A (or BP-511/512/514) batteries. Also supplied is a new six AA battery magazine which is described by Canon as for 'get you home' use only (this basically means that the camera will soon suck a set of AA's dry). Compared to the EOS 10D's BG-ED3 the new grip gets an on/off switch (to help avoid accidental shutter release).

The grip is attached to the EOS 20D by removing the battery compartment door (which fits neatly into a slot on the edge of the inserted part of the grip), inserting into the battery compartment and screwing tightly to the tripod mount. The grip and two batteries adds 374 g (13.2 oz) to the weight of the EOS 20D with just one battery.
    I'm psyched out too...Check out the pics...
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/page5.asp
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    I'm psyched out too...Check out the pics...
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos20d/page5.asp

Thanks for the link. I wonder how many shots you can get out of a set of AA's. I hope the cameras start to ship soon.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Here is another review from the Luminous-Landscape.
    M Reichman liked the 20D quite a bit - one complaint that he did mention was that the view finder is smaller and slightly darker than the 10D, which he did not hold in real high regard either. If the AF is enough better than the 10D, this may not matter very much, but..... it my be harder to focus manually than the 10D.

To quote M Reichman "The smaller pentaprism, smaller ground glass and smaller reflex mirror on the 20D all seem to produce a slightly dimmer image. Actually I believe that it's the coarser textured ground glass that may be the real culprit. ." Despite this, he says he ordered one for himself. His 2 part review can be seen at http://www.luminous-landscape.com which is a really great website for digital photgraphers.

Also, he thinks the noise of the 20D is not significantly less than with the 10D, altho it has 25% more pixels than the 10D. It does seem that ISO 800 and 1600 are emminently useful.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    the aa batteries for the 20d
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks for the link. I wonder how many shots you can get out of a set of AA's. I hope the cameras start to ship soon.

patch, the aa's are meant only as a "get you home" kind of situation. no specs on how many shots, but i think it's like the donut-tire vs a real spare :D
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    patch, the aa's are meant only as a "get you home" kind of situation. no specs on how many shots, but i think it's like the donut-tire vs a real spare :D

I am just tired of dealing with all the different types of batteries and chargers. I already have 30+ High Capacity Nimh AA's, so less of an investment and I have several chargers, plus if I bicycle tour in the middle of nowhere I can get a fairly cheap solar charger for the AA's. I guess I will have to be my own guinea pig on this one, but it could work. At least it would be easier to carry those then the jumbo size charger from the mkII's. My dream is to someday have one universal high powered battery that works, cameras, laptop, power tools, flashlights, cell phone..... Too bad it will never happen, but it sure would be nice.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    I would kill and die for such a device. bowdown.gif

Well, maybe not die, but kill, certainly! deal.giflol3.gif

Whoops, I wonder why the police is knocking at my door?