Options

Release Notes, fixes and more

mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
edited August 9, 2013 in SmugMug Support
A huge, heartfelt thank you to all of you passionate readers out there who’ve shared your thoughts about the new SmugMug. Whether you’re Tweeting, Facebooking, Dgrinning, emailing or posting comments in our blog, we really do read every single response (even if we can’t always reply personally to every one). Change inspires great feeling in all of us, and it’s been a wild ride seeing just how the new features and tools have affected so many of you.

Since launch day we’ve been hard at work helping you get settled, cataloging your feedback, tweaking and polishing and making things that much better for you to use. So here’s the first batch of updates that gives you a closer look at some of the things we’ve shipped in the last week.

Gallery Comments are back!

When we launched, your gallery comments didn’t migrate with your photos, but we didn’t just chuck them into the trash. Now when you drop in a comments content block, click the wrench in the corner, choose a source and pull in all your previous comments from, say, your legacy guestbook gallery:

i-ZKkKR7s-M.jpg

Show Off to embed slideshows

You’ve asked for an easy way to embed your photos into external sites, so we brought the Show Off feature into the new SmugMug. When you’re logged in as owner, you’ll see the “Show Off” option in the lightbox view, from the social menu. You can customize a beautiful slideshow of virtually any size to embed in webpages:

i-6Wdz3wP-M.jpg
Show Off and post an embedded slideshow

Events & Favorites

We’ve gotten a lot of feedback about this feature in the last week, so thank you to everyone who helped us track down and iron out the bumps. We have:

… fixed issues your clients sometimes had saving and removing Favorites.
… made it so that Event slideshows play perfectly again.
… fixed an obscure bug so that all top-level folders display reliably in the Events gallery picker.
Video improvements

Slicker, smoother video playback.
“Auto” streams a juicy 640×480 and up.
Misc improvements

Are you in the EU? You’ll feel at home with our new, rule-abiding cookie consent bar.
Presented a cleaner, new crop page on preview mode and unveiled sites.
Upped the maximum number of Multiple Photos to 48.
Misc bug fixes

Site Meta Title and Description SEO tools use YOUR text (not ours, unless you leave these blank).
Tidied up the logged-out view of comments box.
Passwords stick to your galleries, even if you move them into Public folders.
Fixed navigation into Categories on legacy Sharegroups.
You can set pricing on galleries before you’ve even filled them with photos.
Gallery descriptions are visible to anyone with permissions to view your gallery.
You can sort your Collected images in the Organizer.
Enjoy! As always, please don’t be shy about sharing what you love, what you don’t, and what you think doesn’t look quite right.

More soon,

The SmugMug Family

Comments

• Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    So please to see that Gallery comments are back! Yes!
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    I have unveiled my Pro account here: http://ukulelearchive.smugmug.com

I'm trying to display my old gallery comments but am not having any success.

I dropped in a comments content block, clicked the wrench in the corner, choose a source and but none of my previous comments show anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Some detailed steps would help. Thanks!

- Terry
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hi Terry,

The Comments Block that you have by your footer is trying to pull the information from the folder Martineros

Your Legacy Guestbook comments would have been in a gallery, not a folder. Do you remember the gallery name of your old guestbook? Simply change the location you have the Comments block linked too.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Thanks for that, but what I would like to display are 'Gallery comments', not 'Guestbook comments'.

In my old SM site, my visitors left many comments at the gallery level. These comments disappeared in new SM. How do I get these to show? What do I point the Comment block at?

Thank you - Terry
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    Thanks for that, but what I would like to display are 'Gallery comments', not 'Guestbook comments'.

In my old SM site, my visitors left many comments at the gallery level. These comments disappeared in new SM. How do I get these to show? What do I point the Comment block at?

Thank you - Terry

Hi Terry,

You will need to add a new Comments block to each gallery individually in order to display those comments. The one comment block you have that goes throughout the entire site isn't connected to a specific gallery, so it wont work.

When in Customize, click "All Galleries" and drop the block in. Hopefully that adds the comments back per gallery. I haven't tested this so I am not quite sure.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Yes mbonocore, your suggestions pointed me in the right direction.

So I deleted the comment block at the Entire Site level and instead added a fresh comment block at the All Galleries level.
    Just a single comment block pointing to 'Choose Item'. In other words, I didn't point it at anything. Go figure!

That did the trick! All my legacy gallery comments can now be seen. I am happy! So relieved.
    clap.gif
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    good stuff , great to have it all in one place!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hope you didn't mind, I make this thread sticky.

If you are going to keep updating the first post is there a way for each addition adding a date code or
    some indication of what's updated? I really hate to have to read though the whole thing and figure
    out what's new.
    Thanks
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Hope you didn't mind, I make this thread sticky.

If you are going to keep updating the first post is there a way for each addition adding a date code or
    some indication of what's updated? I really hate to have to read though the whole thing and figure
    out what's new.
    Thanks

Heya Allen,

Thanks for the Sticky! On stuff like this, I usually try to leave non sticky for about 24 hours, as I think alot of people pass over stickies cause they are so used to seeing them, and just check out the last bumped threads. So I try to gain traction that way to let it be seen, then Stick it.

These updates will actually be one off updates, that are listed in the SmugMug Product News Forum

I actually meant to put this in that forum and link it...but my mind is a little warped right now, but from now on, look for this stuff over there...but I will be posting the notice of release notes here, that will be directed to the new forum.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    uketeecee wrote: »
    Yes mbonocore, your suggestions pointed me in the right direction.

So I deleted the comment block at the Entire Site level and instead added a fresh comment block at the All Galleries level.
    Just a single comment block pointing to 'Choose Item'. In other words, I didn't point it at anything. Go figure!

That did the trick! All my legacy gallery comments can now be seen. I am happy! So relieved.
    clap.gif

Awesome! Glad to hear you are all squared away wings.gif