Options

Stock Dropdown Menu in a Pinned Header Caveat

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited August 9, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I thought I'd post about something I hadn't noticed until I began looking at my unveiled site closely in various browsers.

If you're making a dropdown menu using the stock tools, and you've pinned your header in place, you can make it so long it will not fit on the browser window. This makes it inaccessible. I work on a 1920 x 1200 screen. So I sometimes forget that what I am seeing is not what others are seeing.

Here's what things look like in the three browsers I have on a 1920 x 1200 monitor.

Firefox 23 just makes it after turning off those bottom tool bars.

i-nVQtsx3-L.jpg

Chrome makes it.

i-523WKcJ-L.jpg

IE 10 makes it. (notice how crappy the colors are in IE. Why they've not gotten up to speed with this is beyond me.)

i-DL38qKM-L.jpg

On a smaller screen, even though I can scroll down a page, because my header is pinned I can't get to the rest of my dropdown.

i-mCfCVmM-L.jpg

I like my header pinned the way it is, and I like to have a dropdown. I guess I have to decide on what I want more...

Unless someone has one of those magic CSS bullets. In which case other may need it too!

Comments

• Options
    TammyGPhotoTammyGPhoto Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    I thought I'd post about something I hadn't noticed until I began looking at my unveiled site closely in various browsers.

If you're making a dropdown menu using the stock tools, and you've pinned your header in place, you can make it so long it will not fit on the browser window. This makes it inaccessible. I work on a 1920 x 1200 screen. So I sometimes forget that what I am seeing is not what others are seeing.

<snip>

I like my header pinned the way it is, and I like to have a dropdown. I guess I have to decide on what I want more...

Unless someone has one of those magic CSS bullets. In which case other may need it too!

i have the same problem. i asked the other day and was told this is a known bug and they are working to fix it....for now i turned it off but when it is fixed i will go back to use it again..i have my menu pinned to the left sidebar so it is even worse then yours!
  • Options
    RichmondImageRichmondImage Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I had a similar issue and just opted to organise my folders into sub folders with more generic categories so that there were less of them. I know this may be a pain but it is fairly simple to implement
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I ended up just killing the dropdowns. I like them, but they just didn't workout. I had even nested them down to three levels.