Options

Serious bug. Unlisted galleries are useless

Leonardo AlcantaraLeonardo Alcantara Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited September 10, 2013 in Bug Reporting
That is not a feature that maybe you will implement in the future. It is a huge bug. Because:

1- That is not the expected behaviour as described in the documentation
2- That is not the behaviour of the previous version of the service.
3- It was not possible to test before migration. Because everything works like magic when you are logged in. But it is not possible to have the not logged user view to verify that the new version is flawed. It breaks the trust I had in your expertise and your commitment to the user base.
4- It defeats the whole purpose of existing unlisted galleries.

I understand that you guys didn't tested the new product enough before releasing. And now you are overwhelmed by the sudden flush of bugs and support request. But it is not something to ignore, and play like it was not a bug.

And for sure it is not difficult to solve. It is just a permission check here and there to adjust. Unless you had implemented a really flawed access control system, which I doubt, it is really simple to solve.

AUG 04, 2013 | 06:31PM PDT
Hi Leonardo,

Thanks for your reply. Right now you can only include photos that are in public galleries. We may look into adding a feature to include photos from unlisted galleries in the future, but right now it's not possible. I'm sorry.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Leonardo
AUG 03, 2013 | 11:44AM PDT
I am still waiting for your feedback. I have already read all the
documentation and it seems that the behaviour expected was the same of the
previous version. I used this feature in the same directory and it used to
work. I have already tested it in many different combination since
reporting this bug. And it doesn't work. For me it is a bug in the new
version. Can you confirm that it is a bug and will be fixed soon?

*Leonardo Alcantara Moreira*

2013/8/1 SmugMug Heroes <supportdesk@smugmug.com>
John Polanek
AUG 01, 2013 | 04:01PM PDT
Hello from the Heroes,

We're so sorry for the delay in answering you.

We know you've been waiting for a response from our Heroes, but for the first time in our 11 years, our 34 Heroes are unable to give you the quick responses they so badly want to give. We have every Hero working overtime plus employees from all departments helping, but the response to New SmugMug exceeds our wildest imaginations, and we apologize.

Because of this delay, it may be that you have solved your initial questions. Great! If not, during this amazing surge of interest in the New SmugMug, we're hosting webinars four times daily. This page will be updated with new dates/times:

http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/31/need-help-on-smugmug-join-us-online-tonight-and-tomorrow/

If you have not had a chance to watch yet, take a peek at our Getting Started video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifuuczTQEwg

You will find answers to some of the most frequent questions we are receiving here:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1248283-new-smugmug-faq

We also have some great help pages to get you started:

Transitioning: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/topics/538899-new-smugmug-transition/articles

Customizing: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/topics/538072-new-smugmug-customization/articles

Content management: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/topics/538093-new-smugmug-content-management/articles

We hope these help! Thanks so much for your patience.

All the best,
SmugMug Support Heroes
Thanks,

John Polanek
SmugMug Support Hero
Support Hero
Leonardo
AUG 01, 2013 | 06:53AM PDT
Original message
I used to put photos that I wanted to use as backgrounds, logos, etc in a unlisted folder. Now I switched to the new smugmug and I can't put pictures in my homepage that are saved in a unlisted folder. It shows as expected when I am logged in. But it doesn't show when someone else tries to access the page.

The photo is in one gallery that inherits the settings from a parent directory that is unlisted. The directory is child of root directory. None of them are password protected.
The "external embeding" of the gallery is on.

It seems to me that the behaviour is changed from the old smugmug to the new one. Or is it a bug?

Comments

• Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    wow... one more reason to NOT to unveil... I hope it is fixed soon. I do the same thing in my current website: store files in the unlisted galleries just to be used in my website design by linking to it. So, now it is not possible I guess?
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    That's odd, considering that SmugMug already has a system for generating URLs of unlisted photos which don't reveal anything about the gallery that they're contained in, assuring that the use of one private image in a public context doesn't inadvertently give access to any other photos. It's the very mechanism that makes collecting photos from an unlisted gallery into a public one possible.

Where are you trying to use the image, exactly? A single-photo block? Here's a single photo block that uses a picture from an unrelated unlisted gallery, it works fine:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Test/n-t6LqN

I've set the background of the page to another image from another unlisted gallery, it also works fine, logged in or not. So I'm really wondering in what context this isn't working for you.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I think the single photo block works, but multi photo doesn't. I am having the same issue :(

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237773
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    Lamah wrote: »
    That's odd, considering that SmugMug already has a system for generating URLs of unlisted photos which don't reveal anything about the gallery that they're contained in, assuring that the use of one private image in a public context doesn't inadvertently give access to any other photos. It's the very mechanism that makes collecting photos from an unlisted gallery into a public one possible.

Where are you trying to use the image, exactly? A single-photo block? Here's a single photo block that uses a picture from an unrelated unlisted gallery, it works fine:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Test/n-t6LqN

I've set the background of the page to another image from another unlisted gallery, it also works fine, logged in or not. So I'm really wondering in what context this isn't working for you.

I have an unlisted gallery that I used in previous version to store logos, banners and other pics that were not true gallery pictures. Now I would like to use these new themes to expose selectively some photos, because almost all of my galleries are password protected. So I copied some photos to this unlisted gallery, and used them in the first page. It works, but only when I am logged on or if I turn this gallery public.

It is not the background, but rather a strip with two photos in the middle of the first page as the Zoe theme allows you. (It allows you multiple photos I chose 2).
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    I think the single photo block works, but multi photo doesn't. I am having the same issue :(

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237773

Ah, I see. It does work if you use the option "Select from: Single gallery" which shows every photo from that unlisted gallery. But if you use the option "Select from: Photos | Choose", the unlisted photos get "unlisted" displayed on top of them, which means that when you're logged out, they won't be visible.

So as a workaround, you could put those two images into their own unlisted gallery and use that in your Multiple Photos block.
  • Options
    jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hmmm...
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • Options
    MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I totally agree. PLEASE bring back the old UNLISTED functionality...

On my old site, I had a Folder Tree such as:

http://pictures.mannyphoto.com/Family

It was set to unlisted. It was meant to NOT show up in casual browsing of my mainly business site. It was great to store family photos in the same place. If I knew the URL or stumbled upon it, I would see the galleries.

Now, nothing works. Even if I give the special CODE at the end of the URL above, I can;t see the other galleries beneath it because I would have to also share the specific code for each. This is HORRIBLE.

How do I get the old functionality back? How else can I achieve this? All I want is a way to keep casual browsing from my personal galleries. Not to fully protect them as they aren;t sensitive. I just don't want people browsing them casually as if it were a part of the main experience I am offering on my PRO account for my Photo business.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    That's the sort of functionality that Sharegroups were created for, I think they're available in the new SM?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    * goes to have a closer look at site when logged out *
  • Options
    uketeeceeuketeecee Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    It is not possible to test the new SM before migration.

Yes, this was a big concern for me also.

So I bit the bullet and typed 'UNVEIL' in order to test my site properly as unveiling is the only true way you can see your new SM site as it appears to visitors.

Since then I have encountered several more issues. I have been active lately here on the support forum trying to find solutions.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    Just to update who is following this topic. It seems to me that this bug was corrected. I did not test it properly, but it seems to me that now it is working.
  • Options
    orkriousorkrious Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2013
    I'm not a happy camper. Whatever bugs you think have been solved for unlisted galleries don't include the one I posted on this forum at 9:34 this morning. I sent a link to an unlisted gallery to a client and, even though the thumbnails show up, clicking on the thumbnail results in an empty image. No one has responded to my problem.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    orkrious wrote: »
    I'm not a happy camper. Whatever bugs you think have been solved for unlisted galleries don't include the one I posted on this forum at 9:34 this morning. I sent a link to an unlisted gallery to a client and, even though the thumbnails show up, clicking on the thumbnail results in an empty image. No one has responded to my problem.

When you sent the link, are you getting the link's code (some kind of gallery ID) in it also?

I have a test gallery that's unlisted. Let's pretend the URL is http://my.site.com/unlisted

If I try that when not logged in it fails. However, while logged in if I use that link it works fine and my address bar changes to something like:

http://my.site.com/unlisted/n-v7whecxA

Now if I give THAT link to a client who is not logged in, it works fine. Not exactly sure why, but it's pretty consistent with old behavior of getting a link and handing it out -- just the link formats seem to have changed.

Now if you are saying that existing gallery links you handed out are now broken - maybe. I didn't try that (not sure I ever gave them out before so not sure if they changed).

But if you are saying that existing image links into an unlisted gallery are broken, I definitely use that and haven't seen it.

And if you are saying you can't give out an unlisted gallery link -- try the above.

PS. None of the links above are clickable, I didn't want to post the actual unlisted gallery, but if it really isn't working that way I can make a new one and post for example.
  • Options
    cactuscactus Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    OK this is VERY interesting to me because I have the same link for every single photo in my gallery, I go into lightbox, to view a photo in an OPEN gallery and the link in the lightbox is my main SmugMug link, this is why I think I have NO icons or ADD TO CART BUTTON. I'm now pushing 7,000 hits since I worded up all my contacts since I un veiled on the 13th and no one could buy anything if they wanted to. I have no access to my cart either. Now this MASSIVE PROBLEM is starting to get me angry, because of the fact that when I go back stage into ORGANISE SITE and look at that gallery as thumbs, if I open one of those in lightbox they have a custom URL and all the icons show up. Can someone PLEASE help me fix this. I've tried 2 MAC's an iPad and 2 PC's, I use Safari, but have tried changing things with firefox and Chrome to NO avail. Obviously no one else has this problem. Now I just ripped all my photos down, created a new gallery for them and began again, when I popped them into the new gallery the unique marker for every photo did not cross over, so when I put them back into my site they are all ending in sumgmug.com no matter what photo I look at. Check my site. Some one please PM me with an answer to this is they know it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    cactus wrote: »
    OK this is VERY interesting to me because I have the same link for every single photo in my gallery, I go into lightbox, to view a photo in an OPEN gallery and the link in the lightbox is my main SmugMug link, this is why I think I have NO icons or ADD TO CART BUTTON. I'm now pushing 7,000 hits since I worded up all my contacts since I un veiled on the 13th and no one could buy anything if they wanted to. I have no access to my cart either. Now this MASSIVE PROBLEM is starting to get me angry, because of the fact that when I go back stage into ORGANISE SITE and look at that gallery as thumbs, if I open one of those in lightbox they have a custom URL and all the icons show up. Can someone PLEASE help me fix this. I've tried 2 MAC's an iPad and 2 PC's, I use Safari, but have tried changing things with firefox and Chrome to NO avail. Obviously no one else has this problem. Now I just ripped all my photos down, created a new gallery for them and began again, when I popped them into the new gallery the unique marker for every photo did not cross over, so when I put them back into my site they are all ending in sumgmug.com no matter what photo I look at. Check my site. Some one please PM me with an answer to this is they know it.
    I don't see any way to get to your galleries. This Link http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com/Photography
    shows nothing. Have you dragged a folder box to it? The box would show below the breadcrumb at the bottom.

If not I'd select "all folders" on the any customize page in the flyout drawer and drag a "folder" to the page just below the breadcrumb.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks Allen but /Photography on that URL should not be there? Would you mind looking again
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks Allen but /Photography on that URL should not be there?
    I copied the link of the first photo and shortened the url to see that.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    did you go to the address http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com that is my address.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Yes you can see the photo's but you can't buy them, there are no icon to buy or share, just a blank lightbox with the photo sorry, but it's useless. Do you understand what I mean now?
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Yes you can see the photo's but you can't buy them, there are no icon to buy or share, just a blank lightbox with the photo sorry, but it's useless. Do you understand what I mean now?
    I right clicked the first photo and get this link.
    http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Mixed-Up-Pix/Mixed-up-pix/i-sZt7Tp4
    It brings the photo up in lightbox, eventually, and all the buttons show including "add to cart".

Then clicking the X to close lightbox all the other photos click to lightbox with the buttons showing.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Thanks for you help I hope I did come across as rude Allen but I'm just desperate, that's right click protected though? This is so strange. I only ever see that while inside THE ORGANISER minus the ADD TO CART button. I just don't understand how you achieved this, thank you, now I'm more confused than ever :)
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Firefox Right click > copy link.

IE right click, couple times > go to copied address
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Remove whatever box you're showing on your homepage and add the gallery to a box.
    http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Mixed-Up-Pix/Mixed-up-pix
    Not sure what box but in it you'd show only this galleries photos.

It brings up the gallery page and shows all its photos. Each photo is clickable to lightbox with the buttons.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Remove whatever box you're showing on your homepage and add the gallery to a box.
    http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Mixed-Up-Pix/Mixed-up-pix
    Not sure what box but in it you'd show only this galleries photos probably by picking that as the source gallery.

It brings up the gallery page and shows all its photos. Each photo is clickable to lightbox with the buttons.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Allen I am STUMPED. I only see that address when I'm in the organiser, 2 MAC's, 1 iPad and 2PC's and nothing, yet you managed to get to it by right clicking it, when it's right click protected. I'm more confused than EVER! I can not get that to show on my homepage or my alternate page in portrait collage. It's 3AM another sleepless night as I sneak around to gather other laptops and hit the PC. Thank you, now I just have to figure out how to get this on my homepage. I appreciate your help so much. If you clicked add to cart do you get to my checkout, because I can't even get to my checkout. I need to get these URL on everyone of my photo's. I think I'm going to have to do it manually, I send a bunch of screen shots in another smug gallery I set up for help with an e-mail to the help desk and I'm still waiting to hear back from them.
    Cheers,
    Paul
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Go directly to this page.
    http://mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com/Photography/My-Mixed-Up-Pix/Mixed-up-pix/
    Add to cart works. But you have to scroll all the way to the bottom for thee gallery photos. The ones
    towards the top is the photo box shown on your homepage.

Mayby click customize on this page, make it this page only, and remove the homepage stuff, slideshow and photo box.
    Or on your homepage change boxes, slideshow and photo box, to "only on homepage".
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    OK I hit the PC to no avail again so I'm going to do what you've suggested, oh thank you more information. OK, I just pretty much did what you said a few hours ago, I shared that link once and when I clicked on it, it showed the thumbs that I can see when I'm in my organiser. So you can't see my theme? you just get the thumb of the 1st pic, click on it and get a list of thumbs, that's annoying I spent hours making my site and if I want to sell them I get to show people a bunch of thumbs. This is a great beginning and I can't thank you enough Allen but I'n still very disappointed with SM. I know they're getting smashed at the moment but I think they've jumped the gun and released too early, not to sound ungrateful to you in any way but if that is going to be the way I have to display my photo's it's almost like why bother. I've missed my 7,000 hits since the 13th over this and it was to launch some kind of career as I lost my job due to illness, and spent my last pennies to renew my subscription and become a photographer again. Oh I'm rambling sorry mate, thank you very much,
    Sincerely,
    Paul
  • Options
    MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Still not working for me. This has NOT been resolved.

Please visit this page for me:

http://manny.smugmug.com/Family/Sofia/n-zMgVF

Do you see all the galleries beneath it or not? They are unlisted as well as the one above because thye are set to inherit. There are quite a few in there.

Please let me know if I am smoking something inappropriate or am I correct to assume I still cannot see the galleries. Thank you all for your help
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Manny wrote: »
    Still not working for me. This has NOT been resolved.

Please visit this page for me:

http://manny.smugmug.com/Family/Sofia/n-zMgVF

Do you see all the galleries beneath it or not? They are unlisted as well as the one above because thye are set to inherit. There are quite a few in there.

Please let me know if I am smoking something inappropriate or am I correct to assume I still cannot see the galleries. Thank you all for your help

I can't comment on your smoke preference, but when I look I see a blank screen.
  • Options
    npudarnpudar Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I see the same blank screen as shown one post earlier.
    Nick