Options

dSLR Macro lens question

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited December 9, 2005 in Cameras
Comparing various macro lenses that do 1:1 (50, 60, 100, 105, 180), does the difference in focal length simply determine how far away from the subject you can be and still get the 1:1 magnification?
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Comparing various macro lenses that do 1:1 (50, 60, 100, 105, 180), does the difference in focal length simply determine how far away from the subject you can be and still get the 1:1 magnification?
    ne_nau.gif i don't shoot macro but that would be my guess.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Yes, the focal length affects the focusing distance at which you achieve 1:1. But to answer your question, that's not all.

Most will praise the longer focal length macro lenses, along the lines of the 105mm, 180mm, and 200mm, because of what you described which is what they call "working distance", For photographing things like butterflies and bees that you can't or don't want to get super-close to.

In my opinion however, far more important is the depth of field characteristic of these lenses. With a 50mm macro lens like Sigma's which can stop down to f/45, you'll have relatively little trouble getting a considerable ammount of stuff in focus at 1:1 reproduction. The Sigma 180mm however, even though it stops down to f/32, is really going to put you to the test concerning what is most important to focus on, because you're just not going to get much at all in focus at 1:1.

On my Sigma 150mm f/2.8 for example, at 1:1 reproduction there is almost NO measurable difference of "what is in focus" between f/2.8 and f/8, other than the background gets less or more blurry. Even stopped down all the way to f/22, nothing really comes into focus, it just gets less blurry like I said. Unless of course, you're shooting a picture of something flat and you're relatively perpindicular to the plane. But in the shooting situations I find my eyes lead me to, this does not occur.

So, decide with this in mind too. I've shot with both types of lenses, and though I currently own and love the Sigma 150mm, I'm definitely going to invest in a Sigma 50mm or Nikon 60mm macro lens too, someday soon. Both the long and short focal lengths are very necessary to the macro enthusiast...

Here are some pictures with the Sigma 150mm:

28817243-M.jpg

41143005-M-2.jpg

39358929-M.jpg

36763523-M.jpg

And here, some shots taken with my old P&S camera which had a macro mode that (with the help of the tiny sensor) immitates what I think should be about an 60mm or 80mm 1:1 lens on a 35mm camera:

14084449-M.jpg

13934460-M.jpg

14084451-M.jpg

14084452-M.jpg

Hope this helps! And sorry to those who have seen me post these images a hundred times...
    -Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 8, 2005
    Matthew's comment about DOF with the short versus the longer macro lenses is very apt.

Shorter focal length lenses ( like 50mm macros ) will have significantly more apparent DOF than the longer ones like the 150 or 180mm macros. The shallower DOF of the longer lenses can be an assett or a liabiity - depends on the shooters needs. The shorter lenses are certainly harder to use to capture mobile flying insects, but will have more DOF.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Thanks for the lesson, guys. I think when I get my Rebel XT (whenever that'll turn out to be), the EF-S 60/2.8 will be my first macro lens. I'll see what that does for me before going further. One of the reasons I love my F717 is the macro capability - 2 cm minimum focusing distance. I was considering getting the Canon 250D lens for it to give me more working distance. I guess that could also be used for whatever dSLR lens I get, too. So many choices...
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    efs-60mm macro pin sharp
    hi tristan,

i have the efs-60mm macro and its a great lens-it gives you a little more working distance than a 50mm and with the crop factor it is very good indeed-pin sharp at 1:1.like most macro lenses it dosent work so well at infinity,but infinity is not what a macro photographer is interested in -it's also a very good walk around and portrait lens.

the front element is 52mm which is something you should keep in mind should you buy a canon 250d or nikon 4t close up diopter lens.

greg

i
    TristanP wrote:
    Thanks for the lesson, guys. I think when I get my Rebel XT (whenever that'll turn out to be), the EF-S 60/2.8 will be my first macro lens. I'll see what that does for me before going further. One of the reasons I love my F717 is the macro capability - 2 cm minimum focusing distance. I was considering getting the Canon 250D lens for it to give me more working distance. I guess that could also be used for whatever dSLR lens I get, too. So many choices...
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.