Options

Customizer Fails When Trying to Edit Page

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited August 13, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I wanted to edit one of my pages. This is using Chrome, which is what I used to create my site before unveiling. I had no problems then.

I use organizer to select my page.

i-QpbXSL9-L.jpg

I then go back to the main site.

i-kNTxSBj-L.jpg

I hit Customize. It'll load for about 1 second.

i-phqxcmp-L.jpg

And then it crashes, leaving me with this page. All the links are dead on this page as well.

i-CfTGMvc-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    I've tried this on other pages, and they all load correctly into the customizer. This particular page crashes in all three browsers I have installed.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    If this is an html block you might have missing closing tags. If this happened on the legacy site
    using the gallery description there was a couple places you could get to it and edit.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    It is. It may. Now what? Ah, it's Sunday and I just finished scrapping 40yo paint off the dormers on my house. (boy can I see far from WAY up there!) I'll deal with this tomorrow. It's time for a beer... and a smoked chicken...
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    OK, I always keep a notepad copy of whatever I am doing. I saw I'd left out a closing tag as you mentioned. I deleted the old page, thankfully it only had one HTML block on it, and created a new one with the same name. In it's gallery settings I have it set to Public, and it inherited the rest of my sites search options which are all open. Now my Menu link for my Index page says "private" when I am logged in, and cannot be seen when I am logged out.

As I said its Page Settings, Security & Privacy are set as "Inheriting (Public)," Web & Smug Search, ""Site-Setting," which is open to all.

Now what?

I only have THREE pages on my organizer, all of them are directly linked to via my header Menu. All three are not in any sort of gallery, just floating out by themselves. The other two work, no problem.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    OK, here's how I fixed my problem. I had deleted the original page, and created a new page with the same URL/Name. I figured I'd already had my menu link pointing to that URL so why not? One less thing to change. As you see, that didn't work. I changed the URL in the gallery settings by adding a "2," and I changed the Page I Choose in the Menu menu (Laughing.gif) to that. It all works. I don't know why it can't use the same URL if the original is deleted. Just a heads up if anyone else runs into this.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I had this same problem, for me I closed a span tag after the closing div and the page disappeared. I had to delete the page and
    start over as there is no way/backdoor that I can find to edit an html block. On the legacy site there was a "backdoor" to edit the
    biobox, captions and album descriptions where bad html could be present. I used the same page name though.

Note to self: Always scroll up and down through the html block looking for any RED before saving.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think I caused this same issue by dragging blocks around until I somehow had three columns: . I think that's what did it, anyway. After saving that, the exact same thing described in the OP occurred and I had to delete the page and start over.