Options

Does anyone know if we can make custom drop navbars?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    Thank you Allen! I realized when I pasted it into the NSM HTML coding box...there were like new codes added that I didn't want added. I just cleaned some stuff up and now it's working for the most part. Thanks again!
    If you see anything else that you did to make it work please post back here.
    BTW, the CSS probably needs a lot of clean up.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    J AllenJ Allen Registered Users Posts: 359 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    All these custom nav-bars are great, but make sure your remembering to make them responsive also. With smugmug's new framework came a great responsive theme when viewed on a smaller screen (phone or tablet). If you look at site's with the regular nav-menu's from content blocks, it's nice and responsive....it's not to difficult to add the responsiveness to your custom one your making on your own here...Just wanted to throw that out here, because I've already seen a few sites that have these old school nav-bars mixed with smugmug responsive theme and they don't look pretty!
    -Joe Allen
    My Smugmug Site
  • Options
    ko04ko04 Registered Users Posts: 370 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    I need the CSS too. :D
    aschendel wrote: »
    Alright, i tried it too, both on a Page and on the top of my Entire Site (with an HTML block above my Menu content block) and yeah, the posted HTML and works just fine in IE9, FF, and Chrome on Win7

ko04, what kinds of things are you seeing?

Andy

Sorry I haven't been working on my site recently its hard to explain it looks like a broken code when I publish but when I and in customization mode it looks exactly how I want it. I emailed mike just recently and told him that I tired it on a different templet and it worked just fine which is very odd. I took screen shots of all this and I am going to try emailing smugmug again about this issue because after using the same exact code on a different templet that is telling me that my code is just fine like all you are saying as well. Yeah it had some issue and thanks for everyone who is helping me clean it up but still its a valid code. I will keep you all posted.
  • Options
    synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Well, I have built my basic Menu line and looked all around that area and I do not find, honestly, where or how to do it! That quote was part of a SmugMug response. Perhaps someone "not SmugMug" can explain the where and how. Still in Preview, not live mode.

I customized the heck out of my legacy site, so I think I have the smarts for this :)

I also keep seeing references to a drop down navbar from what's there without code. But I sure don't see it. Nothing in the edit boxes related to the menu show anything like that.
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2013
    Just so know one points this out, yes, I see many ways to use CSS to get the drop down menus. But not finding a GUI interface in New SM to do it as the "advertising" suggests is there (seems like I am not the only one who read it that way! Thanks Synature!)
  • Options
    fabthifabthi Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    AceCo55 wrote: »
    I built a three level custom menu using the "Add Link" tools in New Smugmug.
    Can you tell us more in detail how did you get it done? Where did you find the "Add link" tool and how did you use it to create your drop down menu?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 13, 2013
    fabthi wrote: »
    Can you tell us more in detail how did you get it done? Where did you find the "Add link" tool and how did you use it to create your drop down menu?
    See the "Create a Nested (drop down) menu bar" section of this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-customization-navigation-menu.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    See the "Create a Nested (drop down) menu bar" section of this help page - http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1222523-customization-navigation-menu.

--- Denise

Although there's something that is not explained in that section; what I'd like to have is the option to create a drop down navbar where the top item (the ones that appears in navbar) is NOT linked to any url but it only serves to open the cascade menu. Is that possible???
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited November 13, 2013
    Although there's something that is not explained in that section; what I'd like to have is the option to create a drop down navbar where the top item (the ones that appears in navbar) is NOT linked to any url but it only serves to open the cascade menu. Is that possible???
    Have you tried not specifying a link for that top level item?

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    Have you tried not specifying a link for that top level item?

--- Denise

I did, but there's no way to make it unlinked
    78bj.png
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013

You can - make the first link, go to a URL (not page you choose), but don't put a URL. You can save it this way.
    Then the 2nd link, Page you choose, but move this link under/to the right of the first link, to make the submenu. I just tested this and it works.
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    You can - make the first link, go to a URL (not page you choose), but don't put a URL. You can save it this way.
    Then the 2nd link, Page you choose, but move this link under/to the right of the first link, to make the submenu. I just tested this and it works.

Thanks ChancyRat
    I guess I should be more adventurous and try by myself some solution before asking rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    Thanks ChancyRat
    I guess I should be more adventurous and try by myself some solution before asking rolleyes1.gif

Someone else posted this solution on a different thread and I remember when I read it, I thought, Wow, that should be documented somewhere because it's not obvious! So - I hadn't tried experimenting either. :D
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2013
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    .....I hadn't tried experimenting either. :D

We're two of the same kind rolleyes1.gifrofl
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    One of my drops, the main is not clickable.

All that is showing in the link is this.
    http://
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog