Options

SmugMug CSS Tutorial

EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 12, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Is there a CSS tutorial for customizing SmugMug?

Comments

• Options
    JimClarkJimClark Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Watching this one also

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    "Christianity, if false, is of no importance,
    and if true, of infinite importance. The only
    thing it cannot be is moderately
    important." C. S. Lewis
    http://www.photosbyjimclark.com/
  • Options
    einateinat Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I found something in the help articles, but only for legacy SM:
    http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93405-using-firefox-and-the-firefox-web-developer-to-customize-your-site,
    the link at the top of the article, that says "for new SM go to..." leads to the general customization page, where CSS is not mentioned.

HOWEVER
    I do believe that parts of it might apply to the new SM - but I'm not sure.

What I dont get is this - do I really have to use fire fox in order to find out the names of the classes and their fields\attributes?
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I have put together several customization tips here: www.smugocity.com . This may help you along. :)

-Scott
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Ethan wrote: »
    Is there a CSS tutorial for customizing SmugMug?

Perhaps we should make one?
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    bwendelljbwendellj Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I am looking for the exactly the same thing and/or exactly where do you insert the CCS code content blocks? On the folder page? gallery page? entire site? The customizations are great, but a little more guidance how to apply to your site would be helpful.

Best,

Wendell Jones
  • Options
    EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    bwendellj wrote: »
    I am looking for the exactly the same thing and/or exactly where do you insert the CCS code content blocks? On the folder page? gallery page? entire site? The customizations are great, but a little more guidance how to apply to your site would be helpful.

Best,

Wendell Jones

I agree completely! thumb.gif I think this would unlock a lot of SmugMug value that is out of reach for us that do not know CSS. I search and read the forum but it's like mining for gold with a little pan. I think a little knowledge sharing there could go a long way for SmugMug.
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Ethan wrote: »
    I agree completely! thumb.gif I think this would unlock a lot of SmugMug value that is out of reach for us that do not know CSS. I search and read the forum but it's like mining for gold with a little pan. I think a little knowledge sharing there could go a long way for SmugMug.

i agree completely ....(all the answers we are getting assume that everybody knowsheadscratch.gif and know how to use CSSne_nau.gif)
  • Options
    bwendelljbwendellj Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Yeah ... well ... the lack of a New SM User Educational plan and/or process is simply inexcusable. Its fundamental. Basic. No tutorials and documentation of value. Teaching was an after thought. Attended a Webinar and the presenter complained more about the lack of sleep ... fumbled around ... etc. You tell it was a scramble to fill a void that should have never existed.

The forums are great .. to a point, but when the become so saturated with information that is become an exercise in click, click, click and every now then you find a nugget of information.
  • Options
    Uncle BumUncle Bum Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    CSS & HTML Code Blocks
    I completely agree with the idea of providing SmugMug focused CSS / html training and customization guidance.

One of the key aspects of SmugMug that has held my interest and involvement has been the awesome willingness and patience of so many CSS savy Smuggers to share their expertise with me; it is also so easy and effective to ask, that asking becomes my default behavior. However, I feel a growing embarrasement in my continual reliance on other peoples good nature for help.

I have a number of books aimed at helping me learn CSS3 and html5. I have tried a couple of times to buckle down and try to get a grasp of the underlying logic and precise nature of entering instructions. I find it very difficult to embed in my mind, let alone recall from memory after a few weeks or months - like what has just happened with moving from the 'old' SmugMug to the 'new'.

A reference guide to common code blocks used in customizing a SmugMug site would be fabulous.

Rather than be given fish, I would like to learn to fish - but in a small pond!
  • Options
    Uncle BumUncle Bum Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Scott / DreamPro
    I just went to your web site www.smugocity.com

Your creation is as perfect a representation of what I was imagining in my previous post as I could have hoped for! Elegant design and so easy to use!

I don't think I have run into any reference to this site before today. Is this site referred to in SmugMug or Digital Grin?

You can be sure I have bookmarked it and will refer to it first, before asking others to donate their valuable time to respond to my pleas for help!

Thank-you for providing such a valuable reference.
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Uncle Bum wrote: »
    I completely agree with the idea of providing SmugMug focused CSS / html training and customization guidance.

One of the key aspects of SmugMug that has held my interest and involvement has been the awesome willingness and patience of so many CSS savy Smuggers to share their expertise with me; it is also so easy and effective to ask, that asking becomes my default behavior. However, I feel a growing embarrasement in my continual reliance on other peoples good nature for help.

I have a number of books aimed at helping me learn CSS3 and html5. I have tried a couple of times to buckle down and try to get a grasp of the underlying logic and precise nature of entering instructions. I find it very difficult to embed in my mind, let alone recall from memory after a few weeks or months - like what has just happened with moving from the 'old' SmugMug to the 'new'.

A reference guide to common code blocks used in customizing a SmugMug site would be fabulous.

Rather than be given fish, I would like to learn to fish - but in a small pond!

I completely agree with this. I can't see the point of thousands of users struggling to do the same customisation tasks from a variety of resources in a haphazard way. It would be much better if code could be made available as a central resource for common customisation tasks that can not be achieved by the normal Smug customisation interface. Fine words, but who is going to do it? And how?

You might want to refer to the customisation links thread that is now sticky at the top of this thread section. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238545
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    Retired UPSerRetired UPSer Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    For the Business and Portfolio users, when you choose "Customize Site", you should be allowed to edit every aspect of the site instead of hunting through these forums for the code. Come on Smugmug, get with it.