Options

Recent photos update sporadically

rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited August 21, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I set up a page with a content box for recent photos. The updates to recent photos is sporadic. Sometimes the update with recent photos is shortly after they are posted, sometimes there is a time lag which can be several hours and at times some recent photos do not appear at all. These photos are all posted in public galleries and all new photos. They are not updates to existing photos.

The updates to galleries works well and I've experienced no problems with that feature.

Comments

• Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Same here. I've uploaded 9 photographs today and four yesterday and none of them have showed up under 'Recent Photos' yet. They are all there in the Galleries but not in Recent Photos and if I do a search by date on my Legacy site they don't show up there either. I have to keep going back to the Gallery to check that they are actually there. Something is broken.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Dito... rolleyes1.gif

Hopefully that get fixed soon ...
  • Options
    jvinciqujvinciqu Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 11, 2013
    Glad to hear others are experiencing the same issue and that it's a bug as I've been trying to troubleshoot it myself. Hopefully the fix will propagate new photos into the recent pool.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    'Recent Photos' is probably the most viewed page on my site and I know a lot of people who always go there first. It really has to be reliable and updated within an hour or so at most if it is to be at all useful. Hopefully they are looking at it now and it's simple to put right.
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    Recent Photos go through SmugMug Search indexing....with the recent wave of new photos added, indexing these can take some time, but we have changed some things on the backend to get it going faster.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Recent Photos go through SmugMug Search indexing....with the recent wave of new photos added, indexing these can take some time, but we have changed some things on the backend to get it going faster.

Well... it worked a few days before much, much faster. I'm now waiting for the uploads to show up in RECENT PHOTOs for about 18h. One photo i uploaded later is already there, some of the other photos i uploaded before are still missing.

I got feedback from the support and there does not seem to be a problem with my site so i think this is something generic as others seem to have the same problem.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Some recent photos have now appeared on my 'Recent Photos' link on my Legacy site but still nothing at all on my new site. Not for three days now.
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    Some recent photos have now appeared on my 'Recent Photos' link on my Legacy site but still nothing at all on my new site. Not for three days now.

Same here... i got one more photo in about 24h. The support team told me to wait another day. If it goes like that my other photos will take two weeks to show up eek7.gif
  • Options
    GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »

One interesting thing, probably only a third of my Saturday images (uploaded 33 hours ago) have appeared in my Recent photo's feed, but some that were there 24 hours ago (about 7 hours after upload) now don't appear there anymore! That seems a curious thing if it's just a simple indexing backlog, surely they should be gradually appearing, and not coming and going?
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Wow, still nothing! headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    Wow, still nothing! headscratch.gif

I've got one more... but uploaded two other photos while waiting. That server load must be enormous...

At least none of the photos disappeared like also mentioned by Gloriousnse.
  • Options
    GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    The ones that went are now back, oddly enough, but it's still not showing me all of them...

(Posted from my mobile)
  • Options
    mcdmusicmcdmusic Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    After 48 hours of waiting, 1 of the 16 photos showed up in recent photos. Why do i pay for smugmug? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    ne_nau.gif$300 for this!
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I've got one of the nine I uploaded last night but still none of those I uploaded last Friday. It is a bit pathetic!
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think i can beat that... 5 new photos in the past 24h :D

I now added recent galleries to my activity site and it's funny to see that a gallery get on top of that recent galleries list while the uploaded photo to that gallery does not yet show up on recent photos list.

Anyway... there seem to be activity. Keyword indexing for my smart galleries is still way behind.

I'll keep on waiting thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I might rename my link from Latest to This Year :D
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Same problem here picture uploaded on friday still not showing on recent photos !!
  • Options
    keippakeippa Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2013
    Same here :-O
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I got one more photo... but currently loading the site takes much longer, same for uploads and creating the initial thumb for SM gallery view. Crop thumbnail also takes longer until the cropped thumb appears in the gallery.

Hopefully the indexer will finish soon so we can go back to normal... bowdown.gif
  • Options
    HNMCarchiveHNMCarchive Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2013
    I have been having the problem with searches. If I search the first and last name of someone that appears in 3 images I will get 1 hit. If I search the last name only I get all 3, and if I only search the first name I don't get any. There were uploaded 10 days ago, so I don't think backlogged indexing has anything to do with it. These are the same results I got an hour after uploading. :help:help:help
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    It's not working yet. I've uploaded photos three days ago, and they do not still appear.
  • Options
    MenBrialMenBrial Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    As it is still not working I removed Recent pictures from my home page ........
  • Options
    HNMCarchiveHNMCarchive Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2013
    I have written to the SM Heroes twice (about 7 days apart) and still no reply.
    This is just frustrating.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Another day, still not working.
    Causing havoc!
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    I have written to the SM Heroes twice (about 7 days apart) and still no reply.
    This is just frustrating.

Well... i got a reply within 24h where i was told to wait another 24h so see if that problem is fixed. I think that was on monday. I did not reply to that mail since it really seem to be an indexing problem. And there is a little bit of activity. Today i got one more photo being indexed with the new keyword. The search does already find that photo... smartgallery still way behind.

Instead of removing the RecentPhotos i added RecentGalleries. These gallery icons seem to get updated very quick (less then 3h :D ).

I'll keep on waiting... but for photos i uploaded on sunday night SM is currently 3 days behind.

EDIT: Yeah, the SmartGallery got updated! The indexer still have some work to do, not all photos are there.
  • Options
    toddsipestoddsipes Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    I've had my Recent Photos page up for 5 days...no new photos.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    OK I've suddenly got some! I uploaded a couple of new ones and whether that triggered something I don't know but I think I've only got a few missing now.

edit - Nooooo!!!!!!! And now they've gone again. There were there for maybe 4 or 5 minutes!!! What is going on! :bash
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    OK I've suddenly got some! I uploaded a couple of new ones and whether that triggered something I don't know but I think I've only got a few missing now.

edit - Nooooo!!!!!!! And now they've gone again. There were there for maybe 4 or 5 minutes!!! What is going on! :bash

Mine are still there... but really... i'm really not amused anymore.
    I loved SM at first sight because of the nice support, the well working hosting service. But now? Looks like they want to beat flickr in slowness. eek7.gif

EDIT: And while writing this one more photo appeared on my recent photos list. Anyway... no new photo from uploads in the past three days. So indexer is still three days behind... Hooray ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    They are coming guys, I promise. We are indexing at incredible speeds, so all should be caught up soon. I apologize