Options

old computer --> new computer data transfers?

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
edited December 29, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
My old PC is so old, I think I might have a problem moving my data (and only data) from it to the new box. I'd like to have a copy/paste option while both machines are on. I don't have broadband, so Emailing the files to myself is not possible.

Here is a little diagram of my 2 machines:
2computers.gif

One friend suggested removing the 10GB HD and mounting it in the new box and copying from it to the data drive. Another friend suggested placing a 10/100 card in the old box and connecting the two. Would the ethernet suggestion work if the 2 machines had different OS's? Anyone here ever done that? Any other suggestions for easy transfer?

My photos, documents and MP3s are trapped and they want to get out and play!

Thanks!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Would the ethernet suggestion work if the 2 machines had different OS's?

Yeah, it would work. Ethernet and TCP/IP are platform-independent; any two computers that can connect to the internet via Ethernet can by definition connect to each other as well. The trick is remembering how to set up networking and file sharing on the different OSs. Also, if the Ethernet ports on either computer are not auto-sensing, you may need to use a "crossover Ethernet cable" instead of a regular one. File transfer over 10/100 Ethernet will also be much slower than putting the old drive in the new box and transferring between them over the internal bus. If it's easy to mount the old drive in an empty drive bay in the new case, that would be the way to go.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited December 9, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Anyone here ever done that? Any other suggestions for easy transfer?
    Moving the hard disk is probably the best solution. If that doesn't work you might consider using a USB key drive, if you can find one that has enough space so that it doesn't take forever.

Good luck.
  • Options
    flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    I would definitely just move the drive, copy the stuff, and put it back. Very easy, and better than monkeying around with a network.
  • Options
    galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    If you're going to junk the old PC, I woudl for sure move the drive. You can even just leave it in the new PC to use as a backup drive or extra storage.

If you're not junking the old PC, and you don't feel like monkeying around with the innards of the PCs, you could also get an external hard drive to copy your data off of the old PC. It might be a little slow, due to the USB 1 connection, but you could let it run overnight.

Plus now you have a nice shiny new external hard drive to back up your new PC!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    David, I think you're screwed. Get a Mac deal.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    David, I think you're screwed. Get a Mac deal.gif
    This from the "Yes" man.....

David. Either way will work. I preffer network transfers myself, but then again I've never had a computer that didn't have a network card in it. That and for people not familiar with computer hardware get the jumper settings on the drives right can be tricky. Among a host of other gremlins that can pop up. Either way it's super easy to do. Way easier on a PC than it is on a mac.

For that mater you can buy external hard drive enclosures and put your old hard drive in one of those, hook it up to your new computer via usb 2.0, and transfer that way and never have to crack the case on the new computer. Then you can format the drive and have a nice external 10gb hard drive for moving files around.

Hell you could even pop for a hotel for a couple nights so I could get a little break from the madness at work here and spend some time in chicago. Then I could handle it all for you and save you the wretched head ache that is so often associated with computer work.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 9, 2005
    What Gary (dragon300zx) said!!thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    I wrote a bit about this a few years back, if you're stying in the Windows world. Moving Data to a New System. (and yes, you can use the Wizard from older systems too, as long as you've got an XP CD.)
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2005
    Secure Delete
    Slightly OT... but if you want to securely erase all of the data on your old hard disk (and you should, if it's being decomissioned!) , then here's a nice little free application I've found:

Darik's Boot & Nuke [dban.sourceforge.net]

Floppy and Boot-CD versions available. Depending on the size and speed of the disk, it can take up to a couple of hours to run.

It's a good idea to wait a couple of weeks after a transfer to run this... you almost always forget something.
    Chris
  • Options
    TserrofTserrof Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    If you're going to junk the old PC, I woudl for sure move the drive. You can even just leave it in the new PC to use as a backup drive or extra storage.

If you're not junking the old PC, and you don't feel like monkeying around with the innards of the PCs, you could also get an external hard drive to copy your data off of the old PC. It might be a little slow, due to the USB 1 connection, but you could let it run overnight.

Plus now you have a nice shiny new external hard drive to back up your new PC!

Agreed.
    Custom Rig Desktop (P&V editing)....Digicams
    P4EE 3.73 GHz ............................Sony DSC-M1 5.1
    OCZ 2GB DDR2-533 (2 x 1GB) ........Sony DSC-P31 2.0
    128MB Leadtek Winfast 6600GT

Gateway Lappy (P&V editing on the go)......Software
    P4 HT 532 ..........................................Photo E 4.0
    OCZ 1.5 GB SC DDR RAM.....................Premiere E 2.0
    64MB IEG2..............................................PSP 7
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:

One friend suggested removing the 10GB HD and mounting it in the new box and copying from it to the data drive. Thanks!

This is always my prefered method...cheap/basic & it works.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks for the responses so far. No, not junking the 8 year old box just yet. Pagemeker™ is still on it, and I can't find the disks to re-install on the new machine. So it will need to live for a while longer.

Not linked them up yet. That's a project for after the holidays and when I get more caught up on work. A friend that is a network engineer mentioned a plan to install a 10/100 card inside the old unit and the hooking them up via a cheap switch. We'll see. For a Large Pizza and some beer, he'll help me out with the mini-network.

Thing is, I'll need them connected from time to time before I can afford InDesign or something equivalent for my job (wish the client would spring for that, but they won't - I'm an independent contractor).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky