Options

Very Basic Question

vandrvvandrv Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited August 13, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I am having trouble even getting started with the new Smugmug. I have watched the webinar and a couple of tutorials but can't even get past customizing my name on the homepage. When I select a theme, it adds the name of my site, Deer Creek Photography but in most themes part of it is cut off. I see how. Is there a way to enlarge the block so it all fits? It all looks so easy when they do things in the the tutorials, but I have come to the conclusion that I must be missing something very basic. Thanks for any help.
Joe

Comments

• Options
    AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I'm pretty sure you create your website name in your "Profile" settings. Click on your name at top of screen when logged in and go to "Profile"
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • Options
    richpepprichpepp Registered Users Posts: 360 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    It's not really clear what the problem is so maybe a screenshot would help, but you could also try this: Go to customise/customize site and then entire site. From there hover the mouse over the banner for your site name and you should see a red border round it. Click on the triangle symbol that appears - this allows you to change the dimensions:
    i-wdFX5XW-S.jpg

When you click on it you will get a new popup with a bunch of numbers

i-Z9z7vVf-S.jpg

Try changing container width to be something larger. It will be a percentage if the theme is stretchy otherwise I think it will be a fixed pixel width (but I'm not sure as I don't use any fixed themes)

good luck

Rich
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    richpepp wrote: »
    It's not really clear what the problem is so maybe a screenshot would help, but you could also try this: Go to customise/customize site and then entire site. From there hover the mouse over the banner for your site name and you should see a red border round it. Click on the triangle symbol that appears - this allows you to change the dimensions:
    i-wdFX5XW-S.jpg

When you click on it you will get a new popup with a bunch of numbers

i-Z9z7vVf-S.jpg

Try changing container width to be something larger. It will be a percentage if the theme is stretchy otherwise I think it will be a fixed pixel width (but I'm not sure as I don't use any fixed themes)

good luck

Rich

Thanks for the help, but when I click on my banner I do not get the triangle symbol. Here is a screenshot of what I am seeing. Perhaps this will help get me to where I need to be.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Ah, you just need to click up to Entire Site, at the top of the right-side toolbar (main toolbox thingy)... Then you will be able to change that and other "global" things.

Andy
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I should point out that knowing where you are and what you are looking at / customizing is probably the biggest source of confusion I've seen, SM didn't do us a ton of favors in the regard. It gets a little worse once you start tweaking individual folders / galleries and creating custom pages. I submitted a feature request (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238054), not sure if they will change anything though...

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Ah, you just need to click up to Entire Site, at the top of the right-side toolbar (main toolbox thingy)... Then you will be able to change that and other "global" things.

Andy

Thank you for that. I knew I had to be missing something. I'm sure I will be back with more questions, but that will at least help me get started. Thanks again.
    Joe