Options

Lensrentals posts their Repair Data for 2012-2013

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,854 moderator
edited August 14, 2013 in Cameras
Roger Cicala at Lensrentals has posted their most recent repair data.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013

While most of the data reported is regarding lenses, I do have to caution that you need to read the entire article and understand that with this simple data presentation it is not easy to draw conclusions. Rather, I recommend heeding the final comments of, "Looking at things statistically (as best as can be done) there really isn’t a significant difference either by all lenses, or by fraction of lenses with higher repair rates between any of the brands. There are some slight overall differences in repair rate by brand but none that seem statistically significant, or even close to it."

With that statement firmly in mind, I did find 2 entities interesting:
A chart with the foreword of, "... photography lenses with repair rates more frequent than every 60 weeks ..."

A chart titled, "Days Per Repair".

With the former chart, the major takeaway is that some lenses are more delicate than others, with Rokinon the most delicate of all.

With the latter chart, you really have to read the preliminary comments to understand the situations of the chart, and then temper your own situation into the results of the chart. For instance, whether you are a member of professional status with the manufacturer as well as your distance from the repair facility, because the chart appears to list "door-to-door" days per repair (including shipping time, etc.)
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Roger Cicala at Lensrentals has posted their most recent repair data.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/lensrentals-repair-data-2012-2013

While most of the data reported is regarding lenses, I do have to caution that you need to read the entire article and understand that with this simple data presentation it is not easy to draw conclusions. Rather, I recommend heeding the final comments of, "Looking at things statistically (as best as can be done) there really isn’t a significant difference either by all lenses, or by fraction of lenses with higher repair rates between any of the brands. There are some slight overall differences in repair rate by brand but none that seem statistically significant, or even close to it."

With that statement firmly in mind, I did find 2 entities interesting:
    A chart with the foreword of, "... photography lenses with repair rates more frequent than every 60 weeks ..."

A chart titled, "Days Per Repair".
    With the former chart, the major takeaway is that some lenses are more delicate than others, with Rokinon the most delicate of all.

With the latter chart, you really have to read the preliminary comments to understand the situations of the chart, and then temper your own situation into the results of the chart. For instance, whether you are a member of professional status with the manufacturer as well as your distance from the repair facility, because the chart appears to list "door-to-door" days per repair (including shipping time, etc.)

yes, difficult to draw any conclusions from the charts.
    interesting pics of the insides of the lens - lots of small moving parts that will eventually fail !