Options

Creating a keyword search ball

kgphotoskgphotos Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
edited August 13, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hi. I am new to smugmug. I came across this in searching for websites created using smugmug. I would like to add this "rotating ball" look to my website. Basically it rotates when you roll over it. How do I go about doing it? I know it is comprised of tags. I have already created tags in my photos. So where do I go to add this? I do have a search page and that is where I would like to add this effect.

Thanks for your help.

Karen

Comments

• Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    When you are viewing your Search page, go into the Customize | Customize Site mode and drag the Keyworld Cloud from the Discover content block section to your page in the position you want it. Configure to taste...

Hth,

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Ok. Thanks. Just another question. I have the search link created and when I am in preview mode I can click on the search menu and and it brings me to my search page with the search box. I cannot add anything to that page. I know I am in preview mode. When I click on customize site there is no search page listed in the box where it says "Entire Site, Homepage, All Folders, All Galleries." Do I have to create a search page?

Thank you.

aschendel wrote: »
    When you are viewing your Search page, go into the Customize | Customize Site mode and drag the Keyworld Cloud from the Discover content block section to your page in the position you want it. Configure to taste...

Hth,

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I think you shouldn't be in Preview mode for this part of it, and you can't really navigate to your Search page when in the Customizer. I always click Done | Publish Now, then navigate to the search page and then click Customize | Customize Site. Does that make sense?

a.s.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I haven't published my site yet. Still working on customizing it. I just signed up 2 days ago. Learning as I go. Why can't you navigate to the search page in the customizer?
    I think you shouldn't be in Preview mode for this part of it, and you can't really navigate to your Search page when in the Customizer. I always click Done | Publish Now, then navigate to the search page and then click Customize | Customize Site. Does that make sense?

a.s.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Welcome!

Publish Now does not unveil, so you can do that (in fact you'll want to do that).

In my case the Search link never worked because when in the Customizer, the Nav bar, where my search link was located couldn't be clicked on except to make changes to it. If you have a search link that you can click on while in Customize mode feel free to use it if it seems to work. Any way you get to it, make sure that Just This Page is showing as selected in the upper right of the toolbar.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    oh, and most people don't end up needing to create a custom search page so I don't think you will either.

a.s.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    So if I understand you, Publish Now does NOT unveil my site as I am working on it. I thought that Publish Now did unveil. So how to I unveil my site when I am done working on it? I don't have a search link in customize mode. I can click on the search link in Preview mode and it brings me to my search page where there is a search box. I can't add anything in preview mode. So I guess I'll have to click on Publish Now.
    Welcome!

Publish Now does not unveil, so you can do that (in fact you'll want to do that).

In my case the Search link never worked because when in the Customizer, the Nav bar, where my search link was located couldn't be clicked on except to make changes to it. If you have a search link that you can click on while in Customize mode feel free to use it if it seems to work. Any way you get to it, make sure that Just This Page is showing as selected in the upper right of the toolbar.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Yeah, Publish Now with confidence. I had that exact same confusion and struggled for a few hours before getting past it. To Unveil you have to click a different button, I forget where but I'm sure it's painfully obvious, and then type a word into a textbox and click another button -- you definitely won't unveil by accident.

Do be careful though with any gallery reorganization you do in the Organizer prior to unveiling, I understand those changes take effect in the old site and may break what you have already setup.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Ok, thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
    Yeah, Publish Now with confidence. I had that exact same confusion and struggled for a few hours before getting past it. To Unveil you have to click a different button, I forget where but I'm sure it's painfully obvious, and then type a word into a textbox and click another button -- you definitely won't unveil by accident.

Do be careful though with any gallery reorganization you do in the Organizer prior to unveiling, I understand those changes take effect in the old site and may break what you have already setup.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    One more question...I noticed on your website (nice job) you created an about me page. I created an "About Me" link in the customizer. Do I have to create a page as well? All I have is the link created. I am thinking I do I have to create a page. Is my thinking correct?

Thanks again!
    kgphotos wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Hey thanks! I pretty much started using SM recently to streamline my hosting/posting for family stuff, but maybe someday I'll be able to make some money doing it.

You are on the right track with the About Me page, in the Organizer choose Create | Page and then in the right-hand panel there will be a link to that page, then when viewing that page click Customize | Customize Site and tweak it as needed. There are a couple of threads with screenshots in them, although I can only find this one; hopefully it's helpful enough: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=236650

Andy