Options

Preview mode?

kriyababajikriyababaji Registered Users Posts: 295 Major grins
edited August 14, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hello

I think my new site is almost done and ready to be unveiled. I have a concern though, is the "preview" mode truly what viewers will see when they visit my site? Why I question this is because, when I am in the "preview" mode all the navigation links seem to work fine, but when I click "Done" after I finish with customizations and then click "publish now" - then try to click the navigation links, none of them work.

Is there a way someone could check out the functionality of my site prior to me unveiling it? I really don't want to launch a mess to the public. If it doesn't work can I revert back to my legacy site until I fix any conflicts?

my site is shanemcdermottphotography.com

Thanks,

Shane

Comments

• Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Hello

I think my new site is almost done and ready to be unveiled. I have a concern though, is the "preview" mode truly what viewers will see when they visit my site? Why I question this is because, when I am in the "preview" mode all the navigation links seem to work fine, but when I click "Done" after I finish with customizations and then click "publish now" - then try to click the navigation links, none of them work.

Is there a way someone could check out the functionality of my site prior to me unveiling it? I really don't want to launch a mess to the public. If it doesn't work can I revert back to my legacy site until I fix any conflicts?

my site is shanemcdermottphotography.com

Thanks,

Shane

There isnt a way for us to test it, but if its just links I would feel confident in telling you they will work when you cut over. Worst case scenario we can help you fix it shortly. How busy is your site? Do you have hundreds of visitors all day long? Take a look at your stats, if the traffic is fairly low I think the risk to cutting it over with a few things not working is not not that high
  • Options
    macromeistermacromeister Registered Users Posts: 490 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    They should work after you publish. What are you getting? When you hover over a link what URL is in the bar at the bottom of the browser?
    I'm Rob Ashcroft - MACROMEISTER IMAGES . . . .
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    None of my navigation links work?
    Well, I just tried to unveil my new site, and none of the navigation links work. This seems really problematic and frustrating, when all the links worked in the preview mode. Why would they work in the preview mode and not when I publish and unveil the site???

Can someone please help me get them working? My site is shanemcdermottphotography.com

Thanks,

Shane
  • Options
    The MechanicThe Mechanic Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Hi Kriyababaji,

I was able to take a peek at your site. It looks like your navigation links are working correctly. Please note you may want to add your navigation bar to all pages, not just the homepage, so users can still easily get around once they leave your homepage.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    I think I figured it out. The breadcrumbs were all off. Of the three breadcrumb settings which is important to have on, and what do they do?

Show Current Page
    Emphasize Current Page
    Display Full Breadcrumb

Although the navigation links are now working, I have encountered a new problem. Once a viewer is in a particular gallery there doesn't appear to be a "home" icon available that would allow them to easily return to the home page, or image gallery portal. Is this something I mistakenly turned off? How can I provide "home" icon link on each separate gallery page?

Thanks,

Shane
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2013
    How do I do that?

Hi Kriyababaji,

I was able to take a peek at your site. It looks like your navigation links are working correctly. Please note you may want to add your navigation bar to all pages, not just the homepage, so users can still easily get around once they leave your homepage.