Options

page disappears when i try to customize

pipercreekphotographypipercreekphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited August 14, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I am having issues with my pricing page. It keeps disappearing when I go to customize it. Anyone know how to fix it? I can't make any adjustments and the page is already live.

Comments

• Options
    FTGphotoFTGphoto Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I am having issues with my pricing page. It keeps disappearing when I go to customize it. Anyone know how to fix it? I can't make any adjustments and the page is already live.

While I'm sorry to admit I can't help you...you may not be alone.

If I understand your problem correctly, you may be the first person here I've run across with a similar issue as mine: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238769

Let me know if this^ is sort of what your referring to . . . and please, if you learn anything about fixing this mess please let me know.

- Matt
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    it probably is an open tag somewhere. but if i can't access the page, how can i fix it?
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    In main toolbox on the right you can see what is listed in the On Just This Page, for the HTML blocks you can click the wrench from there and it pops up the HTML editor.

Andy
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    In main toolbox on the right you can see what is listed in the On Just This Page, for the HTML blocks you can click the wrench from there and it pops up the HTML editor.

Andy

that tool box doesn't come up
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Check out the thread I linked to earlier, I figured out the solution...it was a coding error clap.gif

Hope this helps
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    that tool box doesn't come up

If I understand you right, try my work around noted in my earlier thread, i.e. select "Choose a New Site Design" instead of "Customize Site"....then select "edit" to your current theme (your not building a new theme) then hopefully, like me, you'll see your tool box.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    FTGphoto wrote: »
    If I understand you right, try my work around noted in my earlier thread, i.e. select "Choose a New Site Design" instead of "Customize Site"....then select "edit" to your current theme (your not building a new theme) then hopefully, like me, you'll see your tool box.

still not working for me.
  • Options
    aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Can you post a screenshot of where you are stuck?

a.s.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Can you post a screenshot of where you are stuck?

a.s.

the first screen shot is before I click on customize site.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    the first screen shot is before I click on customize site.
    the second screen shot is when I click on customize site
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    still not working for me.

I was just thinking, sadly my "trick" probably won't work in your case.

See in my situation the html code error was on my site-wide settings / home page. Meaning using my work around, I could fix the code.

But now that I think about it, you may have a coding error on your actual pricing page. Problem is, the way the smugmug team made the new site requires that you first be on the page before selecting "Customize Site", which dose not work. And if you use my work around, that really only applies to homepage/site-wide settings as you can't jump to another page using the tool box.

So what's my point? (and no I'm not trying to make you fell bad, I feel your pain)...my point is yes I'll take full responsibility for my site going haywire because I messed up the code (a simple ">" mind you), but in the end (especially in your case) I believe this is a major screw up on smugmugs part.

Let me quickly explain, unless you/the user perfectly codes the html of one of their pages, and I mean perfectly, then they risk this failure. For instance, let's say you to forgot to close with a ">" now what? You can't select "Customize-site" to fix the code??? You can't go through the homepage to get their??? Nope! And, why would a little ">" missing in one's html box prevent the customization tool box from loading...heck if I know!? But it seems pretty clear that that is a huge disaster waiting to happen, and a major error / bug by smugmug.

So, Smugmug please please please fix this bug, because I know darn well that the odds are against me to code all my html 100% correctly all the time, and I don't want to go through this again . . . or worse (the case in this thread)

I wish you luck, and I hope the smugmug team fixes this bug asap . . . i really don't want to move forward with the New Smugmug until this is fixed.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    the second screen shot is when I click on customize site

Yep, same issue as me, but you are on a page.

I can't believe Smugmug never caught this in testing, unbelievable. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Just had to rebuild the page. Copied all the original source code from that page using firefox. Pasted it all back to a new page. Everything is fine. Page is working again. There are no tag errors. So I have no idea what was causing the customizing break.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Just had to rebuild the page. Copied all the original source code from that page using firefox. Pasted it all back to a new page. Everything is fine. Page is working again. There are no tag errors. So I have no idea what was causing the customizing break.

Smart...good to know :)

I still think smugmug has some bug they need to work out, hope they still look into this.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Before saving any html box scroll up and down looking closely for any RED. Any if not all html errors will show in red.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Something similar is now happening to me - wanted to tweak my homepage, but when I click "customize", it goes to the attached image. That middle "stripe" will let me click on it to adjust settings, BUT the settings are all exactly as they should be; they're just not displaying while in "customize" mode (which until yesterday afternoon it did). Presumably a glitch at the SM end?

On the left, what it looked like yesterday in Customize mode; on the right, what it looks like today. If you click on the "block" (the squiggly line in the middle of the right image) which contains the images, the actual settings are the same................
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    Ok, figured out what was up with mine - somehow, the site width had been changed to 2px. I have no idea how (since I didn't change it), but that was the solution for me. Weird.............