Options

Best way to organize?

annimall7annimall7 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 14, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Hey everyone, I've got a VERY simple site in the old legacy way. I use smugmug pro for my business, and am SOOOO happy that customizing the site is much easier than figuring out endless css - never put much time into web design b/c it was just way over my head. I actually started shopping around for another hosting site because of it.

Anyway, I have no idea the best way to organize my new site. I see the "All folders" "All Galleries" and "All Pages" when I go to customize, but I'm having a difficult time navigating. I'm thinking it's because I didn't spend much time in the "organize" area first?

I'm using the Arrow layout and so far have a homepage designed that I'm fairly happy with (much happier than with the legacy, LOL) but have no idea how to make my site flow the way I want it.

What I want to do is have the following links on my homepage: home, portfolio, client galleries (these are individually password protected), pricing and contact.

I guess my question is - what would be the most efficient way to organize my galleries/create pages/folders etc? I really don't know how each of them works or how to most effectively use them. How are all of your sites organized?

Really looking forward to an entire website redesign! I'm super excited about having a better looking site, LOL

Thanks!

Alyssa Brown

http://www.infinitegracephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2013
    annimall7 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I've got a VERY simple site in the old legacy way. I use smugmug pro for my business, and am SOOOO happy that customizing the site is much easier than figuring out endless css - never put much time into web design b/c it was just way over my head. I actually started shopping around for another hosting site because of it.

Anyway, I have no idea the best way to organize my new site. I see the "All folders" "All Galleries" and "All Pages" when I go to customize, but I'm having a difficult time navigating. I'm thinking it's because I didn't spend much time in the "organize" area first?

I'm using the Arrow layout and so far have a homepage designed that I'm fairly happy with (much happier than with the legacy, Laughing.gif) but have no idea how to make my site flow the way I want it.

What I want to do is have the following links on my homepage: home, portfolio, client galleries (these are individually password protected), pricing and contact.

I guess my question is - what would be the most efficient way to organize my galleries/create pages/folders etc? I really don't know how each of them works or how to most effectively use them. How are all of your sites organized?

Really looking forward to an entire website redesign! I'm super excited about having a better looking site, Laughing.gif

Thanks!

Alyssa Brown

http://www.infinitegracephotography.com

Your question is really open ended and has countless ways to answer it. You should organize however you feel is best for you to understand it. For my site I put my Pages in the root. I create Folders for Categories and then I have galleries.

Some of this was created for you when you migrated. Something that might work for you is to create a folder called Proofs and then you could have another layer of folders called Senior, Weddings, Babies, etc and then put your galleries in there.

Your navigation really isnt tied to your folder structure
  • Options
    annimall7annimall7 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited August 14, 2013
    That actually helps a lot. I just didn't really want to NOT be utilizing the folders/galleries/pages in such in a way that would make my life miserable later, but I think I've got it figured out...

Thank you!

Alyssa