Options

Feature Request - Search Scope Content Block

rarodrrarodr Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited October 29, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Great look and feel many of the new features are great - congratulations

But with the loss of JavaScript my custom search by gallery is gone = Unhappy customers
Links that had been provided from other sites are broken due to Case Sensitive URL = Unhappy customers (NOTE you cannot expect the online users of today to be Case Sensitive be realistic)
Changes to Legacy environment breaking search features also = Unhappy customers

Note these are my customer not yours - Thanks

It feels like you don’t care about the current customer just the new ones that you may be able to fold into your standard and reduce you support costs.
Hope it goes well; it’s a risky model with such a small community of pro photographers but that’s right you don’t care about them. - That's the feeling

Let us know whats up it is very frustrating as I have a fairly profitable event coming up in 2 weeks and I cannot host on your site this way.

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    rarodr wrote: »

But with the loss of JavaScript my custom search by gallery is gone = Unhappy customers
    Links that had been provided from other sites are broken due to Case Sensitive URL = Unhappy customers (NOTE you cannot expect the online users of today to be Case Sensitive be realistic)

It feels like you don’t care about the current customer just the new ones that you may be able to fold into your standard and reduce you support costs.
    Hope it goes well; it’s a risky model with such a small community of pro photographers but that’s right you don’t care about them. - That's the feeling

Let us know whats up it is very frustrating as I have a fairly profitable event coming up in 2 weeks and I cannot host on your site this way.

I apologize for your frustrations. Have you tried the new /search page for your site? I think you may be able to provide searches to your customers through this powerful tool. Can you explain what you mean by "Changes to Legacy environment breaking search features also"

The only issues we have with search is that indexing is behind, but quickly catching up.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you tried the new /search page for your site? I think you may be able to provide searches to your customers through this powerful tool. Can you explain what you mean by "Changes to Legacy environment breaking search features also"

The only issues we have with search is that indexing is behind, but quickly catching up.

Yes the new search engine looks great but the issue is that it searches the entire site vs only the gallery I am in.

I photograph marathon runner and use bib numbers to search by. The challenge is that bib number repeat between events thus the results are inconsistent.

As for the Legacy environment my customers started complaining that the search no longer worked, I thought at first that it was just a bib number that was not in the keyword index. I did a search for a keyword that I found on one of the photos and it failed. I have not made any changes to this environment and do not have time to trouble shoot. Thus I removed the code until I can address this.

I am not a programmer and was only able to get this working originally with the help from the heroes team. Just cant do that again.

My bigger concern is the URL issue that really impacts many of us - Is there any hope ???
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    Yes the new search engine looks great but the issue is that it searches the entire site vs only the gallery I am in.

I photograph marathon runner and use bib numbers to search by. The challenge is that bib number repeat between events thus the results are inconsistent.

As for the Legacy environment my customers started complaining that the search no longer worked, I thought at first that it was just a bib number that was not in the keyword index. I did a search for a keyword that I found on one of the photos and it failed. I have not made any changes to this environment and do not have time to trouble shoot. Thus I removed the code until I can address this.

I am not a programmer and was only able to get this working originally with the help from the heroes team. Just cant do that again.

My bigger concern is the URL issue that really impacts many of us - Is there any hope ???

I sent a request to my product department to research a way to give you gallery specific searches. I will update you when I have more information.

As for the search on Legacy, I really think that just has to do with the Search indexing that we are catching up on.

As for the URL, no concrete information one way or the other. I will be touching base with Baldy about this.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    I sent a request to my product department to research a way to give you gallery specific searches. I will update you when I have more information.

As for the search on Legacy, I really think that just has to do with the Search indexing that we are catching up on.

As for the URL, no concrete information one way or the other. I will be touching base with Baldy about this.

Looking forward to your update as a resolution would solidify my move to the new SmugMug
  • Options
    THOnlineTHOnline Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    yeah, that URL Case Sensitivity issue. uhg.
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    THOnline wrote: »
    yeah, that URL Case Sensitivity issue. uhg.

Agree cant imagine what they where thinking. Not the customer for sure.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    Agree cant imagine what they where thinking. Not the customer for sure.

Hey Rarodr,

Just wanted to let you know I put a request in to my product team for gallery specific searching. I will keep you posted on the progress.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    Be nice if at whatever level you opened search it would search there and down.

When clicking to the search page sense what page you're coming from.
    Then add link on search page to click "up a level".

This was basically how legacy worked.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    johnlogukjohnloguk Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2013
    mbonocore you asked what problems there are in the legacy environment? Well apart from the ones listed above there are also the well documented issues with the most popular pages in all Smugmug communities, which haven't worked for over a week now. This sounds trivial, but it directly affects the views our images get, which directly affects our sale. Less views = less sales, simple as that, and many of us have had our viewing stats plummet from thousands a day to single figures. Also the "all comments" pages that haven't worked for several months and so stop us being able to get feedback from our customers. I'm sure there are others too but frankly I've stopped looking as I've been too busy trying to placate my customers who are getting fed up with all the problems. And I'm fed up with reporting them and getting no response. Sorry for being constantly negative about Smug these days, I am usually a very positive and pragmatic guy, but it is about time someone understood where this negativity is coming from
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    johnloguk wrote: »
    mbonocore you asked what problems there are in the legacy environment? Well apart from the ones listed above there are also the well documented issues with the most popular pages in all Smugmug communities, which haven't worked for over a week now. This sounds trivial, but it directly affects the views our images get, which directly affects our sale. Less views = less sales, simple as that, and many of us have had our viewing stats plummet from thousands a day to single figures. Also the "all comments" pages that haven't worked for several months and so stop us being able to get feedback from our customers. I'm sure there are others too but frankly I've stopped looking as I've been too busy trying to placate my customers who are getting fed up with all the problems. And I'm fed up with reporting them and getting no response. Sorry for being constantly negative about Smug these days, I am usually a very positive and pragmatic guy, but it is about time someone understood where this negativity is coming from

Understand John. The popular photos should be back soon, from my understanding.
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013

You and I are in a similar boat with search. Here's a thread that I started on this issue along with a work-around from Lamah who has been answering a lot of the tough questions even though he does not appear to be a SM employee.

I have really liked SM for the last three years but this whole transition is causing me to seriously think about moving elsewhere - unfortunately I don't know where that would be. I've paid SM a lot of $ over the last three years in yearly fees and transaction costs. I realize that is for past services which I was happy with but the prospect of paying the same over the next 3 years with a SM2 that does not come close to what I have had is not too appealing. On top of the lack of features, I have to redo my entire site. I know you say it is easy but...

Just give me some hope that you have a grand plan to address the needs of us actually selling photos on SM as opposed to showing them off.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    Be nice if at whatever level you opened search it would search there and down.

When clicking to the search page sense what page you're coming from.
    Then add link on search page to click "up a level".

This was basically how legacy worked.

If you keep the SM header, the search box on the right-hand side of that header bar DOES search by gallery initially. You can then move back up in the breadcrumbs to search the whole site (or the folder you're in.)

I can imagine that most pros don't keep the SM header, but perhaps there is some code that can help you move that search box to the live part of the page? Or perhaps keep the header until they find a fix?
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    GRBlizz wrote: »
    If you keep the SM header, the search box on the right-hand side of that header bar DOES search by gallery initially. You can then move back up in the breadcrumbs to search the whole site (or the folder you're in.)

I can imagine that most pros don't keep the SM header, but perhaps there is some code that can help you move that search box to the live part of the page? Or perhaps keep the header until they find a fix?

Yes, that is true. It is always a back up option, although I am trying to get it more embeddable in the page and gallery, and something that can have clear directions besides it, which I know the OP would love, but the SM header Search is an available work around for the time being. Thanks for pointing this out!
  • Options
    jultjult Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2013
    Mike J wrote: »
    I have really liked SM for the last three years but this whole transition is causing me to seriously think about moving elsewhere - unfortunately I don't know where that would be.
    I highly recommend http://zenfolio.com/
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2013
    jult wrote: »
    I highly recommend http://zenfolio.com/

Apples and oranges. The new SmugMug has nothing even close to compare it.

Once SM made it possible to sell at the Portfolio level, there is absolutely no reason to move. These are growing pains.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2013

Heya Rarodr,

Check out these release notes. Your search box content block can now be limited to the gallery you drop it in thumb.gif

http://news.smugmug.com/2013/10/24/release-notes-scope-your-search-adsense-content-block-organizer-filenames